Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Manchester Utd (the build up)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

8-1

0-0 Draw...I was so close to doing it. Well I say close....I was asleep in bed up to a minute before kick off. Damn those early starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At leat I have both O Shea and Carragher in my fantasy football team, though Carragher is a sub :mad:

Does the fact that Philpips didnt play, and Carragher is my fist sub make a difference?

As for the game, absolute crap. Wish I had fallen asleep for it. Not a single real chance for either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

fade2black wrote:
    8-1

0-0 Draw...I was so close to doing it. Well I say close....I was asleep in bed up to a minute before kick off. Damn those early starts

:D ROFL, Same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, uh! Is it over yet? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Does the fact that Philpips didnt play, and Carragher is my fist sub make a difference?

Yep, it does, Carragher will be automatically brought on for you. He got 5 points, lost 1 because of his yellow card.

Games between the top teams are usually boring in the Premiership now. I'd say a game like Newcastle vs. Blackburn or Wigan vs. Middlesborough will be far more exciting, hopefully anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Awful, Awful game.

Roy Keane played very well in the deep role.

Apart from that I dont think there was a save for any keeper.

Awful stuff.

Gerard had a shot, that was about it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Can't believe I got up at 7am on a sunday for that tosh.

At least I did put money on a 0-0.

Only put on e5 tho. Still, that's 40 bills to ease my pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

WDK wrote:
    I have to say I just hate John O'Shea full stop, I cant wait for nev to be back.
    agreed

Sir Alex in my option has messed up big time
    he should have got a quality midfielder in summer
    and that ****ing formation he plays

id say carlos has quite a say in the formation :mad: more then the players like

i wouldnt mind if Sir alex retired now
    i have enough of his mistakes
    no wonder Rooney is so angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

"fergie" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

agreed

fergie in my option has messed up big time
    he should have got a quality midfielder in summer
    and that ****ing formation he plays

id say carlos has quite a say in the formation :mad: more then the players like

im probly opening a can of worms here but i wouldnt mind if fergie retired now
    i have enough of his mistakes
    no wonder Rooney is so angry

Well to be honest, I said this last year on this forum, fergie should have gotten a keane and giggs replacement already. Keane will be lucky if he plays 15 games this season. I agree with you, he should have gotten a quality midfielder.

• Advertisement

He should have retired last season

I agree but that is easier said than done. Imagine trying to replace two of the players who have such a huge impact on United's direction in the last ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Disappointing stuff from Liverpool, they threw away two points against a team that I feel is going to struggle this season. We just didn't do enough up front really and it appears to be becoming a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

garcia is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

LOL, a team that's goin to struggle? That's a laugh, who's struggling so far, 4 games one goal. Be thankful ye at least got a draw in anfield this year instead of losing like the last three pool v united in anfield,lmao!

garcia is ****e.

Is or Was? :rolleyes:

You are spoiled :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Liverpool 0 Manchester United 0........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yet another example of why the Premiership is in a freefall decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus christ, what a ****ing boring match.
    Annoyed that Ruud didn't finish that chance, I felt it was easier than people were saying.

TBH I blame this whole game on Rio and Slyvestre.
    Liverpools formation was crying out for a CB to move up the pitch and open up the game, and Rio did it once in the ****ing game and we got a great chance from it.
    They just kept hoofing it up the pitch, and Keano was ****ing furious at them for doing it.
    Ronaldo isn't looking at his best, which is to be expected, perhaps should be protected and be on the subs bench for a while.
    Scholes was once again ****e, created nothing whatsoever.
    David Jones needs to be recalled from Preston, and replace Scholes in the center of the park right this second.
    Or else Richardson needs to take Scholes spot.
    Something needs to be done.

That said, in previous years I'd take a point at Anfield, but this year I don't want Chelsea building up a big league.
    We've droped points against Man City and Liverpool, which I'm sure Chelsea will do aswell, but the pysch advantage is there, so :/

p.s.
    Did anybody enjoy that game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wake me up in 3 years time when the league is exciting again.
    Last year was **** because chelsea had it so easy.

It has the potential to be great with 4 top clubs going for the premiership now its like the SPL all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

p.s.
    Did anybody enjoy that game?

probaly the people who were asleep during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

That was the worst game since Chelsea vs. Arsenal. 4-5-1 formations are really starting to ruin the league at this stage, but this game was exceptionally bad. I only rate the Chelsea - Arsenal game as worse because of the rediculous goal that won it.

Like Mike, I cannot understand how Luis Garcia was kept on the pitch. He gets into good positions and makes himself available for a pass (unlike every single other member of the Liverpool team), but when he tries to pick somebody out... its beyond abysmal. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but even I was punching the chair at the end and shouting "Why can't you play a simple fùcking pass properly???" at the telly. I just wanted to see a bit of quality football, but there was none available today. The 5 minutes of Blackburn - Newcastle that I saw was equally as bad, except for watching another Lucas Neill horror tackle on display.

All-in-all, a shìte day for football.

I enjoyed it because I'm in work, and couldn't watch it.

That and the fact that the only United and Liverpool players I have in my fantasy team are defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

jank wrote:
    Last year was **** because chelsea had it so easy.

Yeah, the 4th team to ever win the Premiership in 13 seasons, a bit of genuine competition to United and Arsenal, and everyone says its bad. Honestly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah, the 4th team to ever win the Premiership in 13 seasons, a bit of genuine competition to United and Arsenal, and everyone says its bad. Honestly...

Ya your right,much as it pains me to say it but i have no respect for a club that are just handed money and can then buy whoever thay want and get instant succes. United and arsenal had to work their way up, no one came in and threw a few hundred mill at em. It is good for the prem though, no one wants a situation like celtic rangers. Problem is chelsea could have outright domination for years and years to come. No one can challenge them in the transfer masket as long as they have roman, hopefully he'll get caught for some dodgy dealings in russia,lol.

deisedevil wrote:
    Ya your right,much as it pains me to say it but i have no respect for a club that are just handed money and can then buy whoever thay want and get instant succes. United and arsenal had to work their way up, no one came in and threw a few hundred mill at em. It is good for the prem though, no one wants a situation like celtic rangers. Problem is chelsea could have outright domination for years and years to come. No one can challenge them in the transfer masket as long as they have roman, hopefully he'll get caught for some dodgy dealings in russia,lol.
    the Russian Billionaire will get bored someday and go
    just when will it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was pleased with the way Liverpool played today. We looked very organised and we seem to be coming together as a team.

It is a bit worrying that we only scored once in four league games, if we had plenty of chances i wouldnt be as worried but we dont get many at all.
    The flip side is we haven't conceded either and that must be a very good thing.

I think we will start scoring goals and keep them out at the other end too.
    The match today wasnt much of a spectacle and a draw was a fair result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fred, thats as generous a view as one could possibly take!

We may be hard to score against, as Velencia were under Rafa but we have to start scoring even if its only 1 a game!

Mike.

Arsenal ahve never spent much money. You're right there. But I seem to remember United going out and spending 27 million Veron and 20 million on RVN all in one season. Fact is Chelsea's net spending is probably about the same as United's, except they did theirs in a short space of time.

All the whingeing about money is just an excuse from disgruntled fans of other clubs. When Blackburn used to be going out spending 5 million on Sutton and 4 million on Batty (when that amount was alot of money), I was thrilled and you would be to if it was your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

couldn't believe Garcia was still on the pitch at the end, he was crap yesterday really awful....

Crouch should have been kept on and garcia replaced by cisse, bad tactical decisions in my opinion...hope we start scoring goals soon ;(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mada999 wrote:
    couldn't believe Garcia was still on the pitch at the end, he was crap yesterday really awful....

Crouch should have been kept on and garcia replaced by cisse, bad tactical decisions in my opinion...hope we start scoring goals soon ;(
    In fairness, Cisse was brutal when he came on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Lemlin wrote:
    Arsenal ahve never spent much money. You're right there. But I seem to remember United going out and spending 27 million Veron and 20 million on RVN all in one season. Fact is Chelsea's net spending is probably about the same as United's, except they did theirs in a short space of time.

All the whingeing about money is just an excuse from disgruntled fans of other clubs. When Blackburn used to be going out spending 5 million on Sutton and 4 million on Batty (when that amount was alot of money), I was thrilled and you would be to if it was your club.
    Difference is that United worked for their money. Chelsea didn't work for their money, Abramovich did. But I get what you're saying.

I personally don't think there is much between the players at Chelsea, United or Arsenal. I think Mourinho has the upper hand on both SAF and Wenger.

Cisse cost €14 million.

Oh wait...£14 million sterling.

Well done Houllier you fat fool. :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What a total pile of crap, listened to it on Radio and it nearly put me to sleep!!

What sort of formations are these guys playing, United 4-5-1 against a massive 4 -1-2-1 or something daft like that, neither seemed to want to score.

I would say Chelsea are pissin themselves laughing, the difference between them on Saturday and the 2 teams today is worrying !

Thank God I missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Garcia is by far Liverpools worst player. I couldn't understand why Crouch came off for Cisse instead of Garcia. The guy loses us so much posession and puts us under pressure to defend. It was like playing a 10 man squad with him out there. Really, Benitez must realise this and say "fine, enough is enough, Garcia isn't good enough to start anymore". I'd much rather have Cisse start ahead of him.

A lot of ye are complaining about the quality of the game. Okay, there were few goal chances which was dissapointing but the battle in midfield was brilliant. Gerrard was played like a man posessed yesterday. I thought both defences were very good too.
    Hyypia and Carragher were impenetrable and cut everything out. Warnock had one of his best games yet although he still has to work on his attacking play if he's going to be going up the wing a lot. Finnan was as usual excellent (I don't understand why he doesn't start ahead of Carr for Ireland). Troare when he came on was shaky and still does not inspire confidence.
    Gerrard and Alonso were very good in midfield. Gerrard in particular kept Liverpool in the game with some great tackles. Garcia was ****e. Riise was not his best but still played well. Pongolle is not a winger. I think he could be great if he's played as a striker and I hope Rafa gives him a chance to show that. Sissoko was solid when he came on and helped to gain a bit more possesion in a period when Utd were dominating.
    Crouch impressed me in the Betis game but the long ball tactics just didn't work against Utd. I think he suffered more because of the tactics used. Cisse is whinging, lazy playboy wannabe who has no place in the Liverpool team (which says a lot about Garcia). He's more happy to complain to the ref than to actually try and win the ball.

Overall I'm happy with the result. I'd be happier with it if Liverpool a few more points on the board going into the game though. The way I see it though is this....
    Last season Liverpool lost twice to Utd in the league. They also were very poor in games after European ties. Yesterday, they drew with Utd (okay they were missing Heinze) in the wake of a European tie. This is an improvement to me. A win would have been better obviously but you cannot argue that we got more points from Utd in this game than we did from both games last season. It's an improvement, even if it's only a small improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Worst moment of the game: Rio Ferdinand's vicious verbal assault on Crouch, after Crouch had been taken down from behind by Silvestre. Ferdinand's actions were that of a pure scumbag.

Best moment of the game: Ferdinand's run forward and clever ball into RvN. A tad unlucky with the finish. Best chance of the game by a distance and probably United's only chance. Liverpool's best two chances I thought were second half headers from Gerrard and Garcia - both missed the target. Garcia's was a free header, albeit from about 14 yards, and I'm pretty sure VdS wouldnt have got it had it been on target.

Overall I thought the game was fairly even for the first 55 minutes, with MU looking slightly more dangerous of the two very undangerous attacks. I thought from then on Liverpool had the better of it in midfield, but Benitez was too afraid of losing, and hadnt the balls to go with two up-front, which would certainly have meant Liverpool creating a couple of better chances. Would it have opened up things for MU? - I dont believe so, Liverpool were coping comfortably enough at the back (at least until Bambi came on) and its not as if Sinama or Garcia were contributing to that.

Garcia was absolutely appalling.

Liverpool dont get enough players into the box or give the lone striker enough support to play 4-5-1.

MU do have the players, but its not working. Fergie needs to revert to 4-4-2, Giggs on the left, Ronaldo on the right, Scholes and Smith in the centre and Rooney up front with RvN. With a decent goalie, the defence looks a lot better now, but he needs to start trusting them, he doesnt need someone in front of them all the time now. Keane's injury might force him to play the better (IMO) formation and tactic.

The ref was very good yesterday. But I dont know how he let United players away with lambasting him for every single decision that goes against them.

Advertisement