Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over for cycling on the path?!

Options
  • 15-09-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Oh my G!!! Back in January a cycle cop stopped me on Bird Avenue and took my details because I cycled up onto the path to avoid some traffic lights. Now I've just been given a summons to go to court for it!!! What is the world coming to?

Us cyclists don't think twice about these things - we're pedestrians when we want to be and road users when we want to be!!! Just thought I'd warn some fellow cyclists at least if I spread my story some good will come from this situation...

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I have no clue what to expect from a court appearance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I would say at least 4 years in Jail ;)

on this topic, are there any rulings for cyclists in this country on how they have to behave in traffic and stuff.
    Was wondering because I get the impression they don't as they moreless do whatever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Deserve it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep..

Everyday when I'm walking home from work I have to be careful when walking on a particular foot path as cyclists seem to think they can treat it as a cycle lane.

The Garda should prosecute whenever possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

yes cyclists seem not to obey any signs lights at all.. and cycle on the path on the road near the pavement and in the middle of the road......

oh O/P what if someone reversed out of there driveway or some old lady who was blind stepped out of her driveway..or kids for that matter....

cycle lanes are there to be used...oh yeah the motorist pays for them too..!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Okay this isn't fair! Now I look like a reckless bitch!!! Obviously I look out for reversing cars from driveways, little old ladies etc!!! I deserve to be punished but it was the first, last and only time I ever skipped the lights! There are far worse offenders than me! I normally get stick from my cycling friends for NOT doing these things!!!

Try and see the funny side when your reading it please! That goes for everyone pedestrians and cyclists alike. We should stick together and gang up against the real enemies - those SUV drivers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Man there are alot of narks here
    Funny i was cycling home yesterday ( i mostly drive)
    I went up on the foothpath to take a shortcut
    There was nobody on the path and anyway im not a moron i don't cycle into people....
    There was a cop on his motorbike parked on the path i was just thinking it would be typical if he pulled me up on it....
    Screw it as far as im concerned when im not in a car im going anywhere i want on teh bike any walkers have a problem with that i'd just have to say - quit being a pussy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Finner wrote:
    Okay this isn't fair! Now I look like a reckless bitch!!! Obviously I look out for reversing cars from driveways, little old ladies etc!!! I deserve to be punished but it was the first, last and only time I ever skipped the lights! There are far worse offenders than me! I normally get stick from my cycling friends for NOT doing these things!!!
    **** happens tbh. You broke the law, you got caught, what do you expect. Just because everyone else does it or tells you to do it, doesn't make it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You are both saying that you pay good attention and that you aren't going to run into predestrians.

But the pedestrians don't know how much attention you are paying... and it's very unpleasent to be walking along a foot path and not knowing if some cycilist isn't going to smash into you from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

You must have given attitude mate thats the ONLY reason you would receive a summons in a sutuation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I don't care whether ye hit people or merely nearly hit people, keep off the damn path - I've had the sh1te scared outta me more times by gimps sailing past me at 30 MPH allowing about 3 millimetres of a gap between us.

I've recently taken to raising my elbow accidently at a microseconds notice - leaving only the problem of removing the blood and teeth caked layer deep midway down the sleeve of my jacket.

• Advertisement

a nation of biatches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

seamus wrote:
    ust because everyone else does it or tells you to do it, doesn't make it OK.

I think because it is such a custom, that everybody does it, the law should be changed - it clearly doesn't reflect the reality. You could call it an unwritten rule if you like, that cyclists should be allowed to act as pedestrians when necessary - some of the roads in this country are far to narrow for cyclists to cycle safely, especially when some cars are parked right out onto the road. I think as long as the cyclist exercises due caution on paths it should be ok - it should be obvious that you shouldn't go at 30mph on footpaths yet some jerks still do it. The law should only come down heavy when a cyclist is reckless, like the bastard that knocked me unconscious when I was 7 years old walking home from school one day. Prosecuting you for cycling on the footpath when you were causing no danger to others is just petty, and to be quite honest, a waste of the courts time. It would be great if you contest the case and got the law changed so that if a cyclist can prove that they were exercising reasonable care and caused no harm to others, they should be allowed to cycle on paths when it would be safer to do so than to cycle on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

it's a FOOTpath... for feet.
    If you want to take a shortcut, dismount.
    I dont see many drivers taking shortcuts over footpaths to "avoid some lights"... you should obey the rules of the road and do likewise.
    Those lights apply to you, the cyclist and roaduser.
    I'm sick of seeing cyclists using footpaths... the're just adding to their bad reputation.
    And I'm a cyclist by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

egan007 wrote:
    Screw it as far as im concerned when im not in a car im going anywhere i want on teh bike any walkers have a problem with that i'd just have to say - quit being a pussy
    Raiser wrote:
    I've recently taken to raising my elbow accidently at a microseconds notice - leaving only the problem of removing the blood and teeth caked layer deep midway down the sleeve of my jacket.

Best product for your future chompers Egan.

ste901e_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

stag39 wrote:
    yes cyclists seem not to obey any signs lights at all.. and cycle on the path on the road near the pavement and in the middle of the road......
    Bit of a generalisation there. Cyclists are entitled to cycle in the middle of the road if necessary BTW.
    oh O/P what if someone reversed out of there driveway or some old lady who was blind stepped out of her driveway..or kids for that matter....
    Perhaps brake?
    Huh?

Raiser wrote:
    I've recently taken to raising my elbow accidently at a microseconds notice
    Everyone needs a hobby I suppose. Do you time it?

Raiser wrote:

Best product for your future chompers Egan.

I'll remember that the next time im driving and you are walking on MY ROAD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A bycycle is a non motor propelled Vechicle under the road traffic act.
    No vechicles are permited on paths.
    Simple.
    If you are cycling then cycle on the road as you should do and not mount
    the pavement to aviod junctions.
    If you must retire to the pavemnet get of the damn bike.
    It is that simple.
    You can be fully charged and took the court for speeding and dangerous driving
    and reckless endangerment while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Okay okay! I've learned the error of my ways!!! I'm a good girl :) and the shock of being pulled over was good enough to stop me from doing ANYTHING like that again!!! Everyone seems to hate me now!!!!!!!!!! loads of people are still saying "Get over it, you did the crime now do the time" but I SAID that I was accepting the punishment I realise what a dumb ass I was (and I don't just mean that I was caught for it!)

I didn't realise it was such a hang up for people - cyclists on paths I mean - I dunno who said it but I think they're right if cyclists are paying due care and attention it should be alright to go on the path. Ireland's roads weren't built to cater for such traffic and it's hard then to try and fit cycle lanes in. I've been almost run over so many times by cars that think we're just in the way and a nuisance on the road (and before anyone goes mad at me again I don't mean ALL drivers just some!) it's just safer for me sometimes on the path! (Point taken: dismount if I wanna go on the path!)

Geez I never realised but it seems cyclists are the scum of the earth to pedestrians AND car drivers!
    stag39 wrote:

BTW what's that supposed to mean - the motorist pays for them too?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Finner wrote:
    BTW what's that supposed to mean - the motorist pays for them too?!!!

Motorist pay road tax , cyclist don't.
    Yes, a lot of drivers are hugely disrespectful to wards cyclist and don't
    give them the space on the road that they are ment to.
    Usually when it is raining and you can't go through large pot hole
    and they think all you need is 4 inches beside the kerb :rolleyes:

But then again a lot of cyclists seem to think that red lights and other
    such things like signalling don't apply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

God it sucked to be cycling this morning. Still feckin wet here.
    Speaking of Guards the other day i was cycling to college in ballyfermot and was going up that steep hill under the bridge by the FAS bulding. As i was cycling a cop car was behind me at the hill and then drove up beside me, rolled down the window and started taking the p1ss. I couldnt hear them because i had my headphones in and was panting away but the cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I couldnt hear them because i had my headphones in and was panting away but the cheek.

They were probably telling you it's dangerous to cycle with headphones in. :rolleyes:

Thaed wrote:
    Motorist pay road tax , cyclist don't.

Motorists pay several taxes but there's no such thing as "road tax". Anyone paying taxes in this country is paying for the (mediocre) bike paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Just because you pay *MOTOR TAX* does not mean that its your road. The only roads that are for motors only are motorways, and there are no cyclists there...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Bit of a waste of money summonsing you to court for cycling on the footpath - why not just give you an on-the-spot fine?
    I have no real sympathy to be honest, and footpaths are more dangerous than the road too.

M (waiting for summons for cycling with no lights!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I cycle a fair bit and would never go up on a footpath. I think I'd stick to the law quite a bit the only thing would probably be the worst which is breaking lights. But when there's absolutly nothing comming at midnight, no point. In a car, yes I do stop late at night.

Just a quick question, Say a Guard did go after you on his bike. From what I've seen they dont look that fit. Think you could out cycle them easily?

Just because you pay *MOTOR TAX* does not mean that its your road. The only roads that are for motors only are motorways, and there are no cyclists there...

so lets build a motorway outside your house... a 1 lane eachway one :p !!!!!

finner don't take offence.. none intended directly to you...

most cyclists think they are a law onto themselves!!!!!!!

this to mogan
    oh mogan ur a bit of a muppet...who do you think pays for the upkeep of the roads to keep you from falling flat on you face after going throiugh a nonmaintained pothole :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

kjt wrote:
    I think I'd stick to the law quite a bit

That's jolly decent of you. Just ignore the bits you don't like my good fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Back in the 1950s road tax was taken from motorists to pay for the roads. It was abolished briefly and the general taxes diverted to pay for the roads. Motor tax was reintroduced, but just goes into the general pool.

We have a fairly apoplectic attitude to cycling on paths here, but it's not the same around the world. In Japan, for instance, paths is where cyclists are *supposed* to cycle; I think they even have right of way on the path.

Mind you, Japanese cyclists are considerate to those who share the paths with them.

It's interesting how angry people are on this thread. Maybe the fact of using up the world's precious supply of fossil fuels to drag one's unfit, obese body from one place to another arouses such guilt that it expresses itself as anger?

• Advertisement

luckat
    It's interesting how angry people are on this thread. Maybe the fact of using up the world's precious supply of fossil fuels to drag one's unfit, obese body from one place to another arouses such guilt that it expresses itself as anger?

i'd be the first to get a donkey and cart to bring my work tools around when the time comes!!! ;)

Advertisement