Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over for cycling on the path?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Gegerty wrote:
    We could run you over cause by law you shouldn't be on the cycle path, but no we stop for you cause we understand its the system that's messed up and it isn't your fault.

Actually, as a pedestrian you are "by law" allowed on a cycle lane, or a road as required. You *do* have a legal duty not to endanger yourself or others, but there is no "jaywalking" offence on the books here afaik, just too much American TV

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually, as a pedestrian you are "by law" allowed on a cycle lane, or a road as required. You *do* have a legal duty not to endanger yourself or others, but there is no "jaywalking" offence on the books here afaik, just too much American TV

Actaully jaywalking is illegal in Ireland and you can be fined for crossing within x amount of distance (not sure of exact distance) from a designated crossing point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My friends brother was done for jaywalking on the N11 at cabinteely, there is a flyover there which very few people use. In fact work is being done on it at the moment so nobody is allowed on it and there are 100's of kids crossing the road there with no pedestrian lights, all breaking the law. There is a set of pedestrian lights for them about 1-200 metres away, but the builders of the bridge, in their infinite wisdom, have blocked off the easy entrance to this route, so the kids are forced to walk in muck or on the road.

The worse thing is that further up the N11 at cournelscourt/magic carpet, they have 2, yes 2 lollipop ladies guiding grown men across the road, even though it has pedestrian lights there!!, they dont stop the traffic. The little green man comes on and they stand there as though they are stopping the traffic themselves! There are kids crossing too, but they insist on walking everybody across, the look of humiliation on the 50 year old businessmens face is classic. But I wish my money was being spent elsewhere, I hear they get paid a fair bit. Max I have seen is 3 kids crossing at a time, in the uncontrolled cabinteely stop there are about 30 at a time, running out into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Cabaal wrote:
    Actaully jaywalking is illegal in Ireland and you can be fined for crossing within x amount of distance (not sure of exact distance) from a designated crossing point :)

within 30 feet of a pedestrian crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hagar, I was in my commuting "defensive cycling" mindset where the way to survive is "everyone is out to get me" ;)

I guess we need to lobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you ever do cycle down to the South of France give me a shout and we can partake of a pastis or two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sans aucun doute. For my next trick I intend "Santiago de Compostela".

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

I can't believe the response my post has gotten in just a week!!! I never thought that there would be such a response. I fear I've hit a nerve among all road users - cyclists, motorists and pedestrians alike. I really never expected this from one little message that I left!

When I posted the message it was the day after I got the summons and there was a lot of mixed up feelings going through my head - anger, resentment, confusion, fear (I've never gotten in trouble in my life, well once I got a penalty sheet in secondary school but I think the fact that I remember that speaks volumes :o ) Now I've had time to cool off and I realise that it's all for the best. It's just made me a better, more aware road user and I'm just glad that no one got injured in the process of me learning that lesson.

From reading the responses there seems to be a lot of people here that feel I'm getting my cumupins (How do you spell that anyway?!) that I deserve everything I get (life imprisonment or whatever it may be!) and so I'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people when I agree with them and admit that I deserve whatever punishment I get and that I was wrong. (I know you're all dying for me to be a road raging lunatic that mouths off about how unfair it is blah blah blah and have an excuse to hate me!)

I don't know who it was that posted this point something along the lines of - everyone's annoyed with everyone and to get over it!!! It's time that we all got some cop on on the road (pedestrians, motorists and cyclists) stop breaking the rules when it suits us (don't pretend you haven't done it - jaywalking, running the red light at 4am or cycling on the path!), pointing the finger, generalising and complaining about the fact that we're the most hard done by people in this situation (we've all done it whether it's the motorist and his road tax?! or the cyclist saying ALL cars are b*****ds and don't pay attention to me or pedestrians saying ALL bikes are reckless when they get on the footpath) In all walks (or wheels) of life there are those who respect others and those who don't, it shouldn't be that way but it is. I've vowed to be more respectful to everyone, pedestrians, motorists and other cyclists so why don't you say that to yourself too. (call me a hippy...)

I'm glad there are still some people out there with a sense of humor (Keep running Fugitive Gav!) Take a leaf out people! Either you laugh or cry (Or scream and beep your horn/ring your bell and mouth off about the state of the infrastructure in this country etc. etc.) Come on stop being so serious about it surely laughing sounds like a much more fun and productive way to spend your time. Either that or do something practical about changing the situation - write to your local councillor or T.D., start a campaign group, bring it to the for front of peoples agenda's, get it in the local/national papers, protest - do something! It sounds like there's enough people that are passionate about changing things on this site alone to make a big difference (or is that me being a hippy again?!) Basically what I'm saying is don't just sit there moaning about it like those two old guys from 'the muppits' (no offence :) ! I meant the programme) get your thumbs out!!!

On another matter brought up on this thread - I think some people could do with reading John Stuart Mill's 'On Liberty' paying particular attention to his theory called 'The Harm Principle' (I'm not using it as an excuse for what I did btw) From what I've been reading some people are already advocates and they probably don't even know it and it would help some people to feel less hard done by if they understood it and accepted it. It's an interesting principle although it would be very dangerous in the hands of idiots (eg. most car users tee hee only joking. Just trying to get you fired up again - did it work? ;) ). It just might prevent some of that anger that's been oozing from some threads (ie all this finger pointing).

It's crazy when normal, calm, sensible people with low blood pressure come into the vicinity of a car/bike/road they turn into fist waving, cursing, raving lunatics - don't pretend you don't do it cus I've seen you :) . I think roads are bad for people we should ban them entirely! Anyone with me?!

If you've bothered to read to the end of this post I salute you! I did go on a bit didn't I! I was just so shocked! I checked it after posting the first message and so many people had replied (and were mean to me :( that I started to get worked-up and upset about it and had to stop reading it (I'm one of those people who's banned from listening to Chris Barry or Joe Duffy for shouting at the stupid people that ring up (sorry I'll rephrase that - people who have a different opinion to me :) )) But when my friend saw it and told me that over 2000 people had viewed it I just had to go back and say something. I've either opened up a new can of worms here or finished it for good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Just as a matter of interest I forgot to add in my last post (How much more could you have said I hear you scream?!!!) Does anyone no what I'm facing when I go to court? I have no idea I've never been faced with this kind of experience before. I don't know the penalties or the consequences. Can anyone help me out? (You can see the first post for details although it's somewhat more angry than the new improved, more humble and accepting me!!!) It was the first and only time I had ever DREAMED of cycling up on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Trojan wrote:
    Sans aucun doute. For my next trick I intend "Santiago de Compostela".

Its a nice place too - you should stop in La Coruna on your way home too!

I did Dublin -> La Coruna in a 30-something foot boat last year, and I was well impressed with Gallicia when I arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

court:
    firstly do not worry about it , everyone is innocent until proven guilty,
    The Garda will be called and he will outline what he saw or did on the day or what he thought he saw you doing, you then will have a right to reply
    was there a special reason you mounted the footpath etc (maybe a car forced you onto the path etc )
    Judge makes a decision as to your guilt based on what he /she heard
    and either u walk away or you receive a small fine.
    Its straight enough just do not be afraid for your self ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Ill tell ya a story:I used to work nights not too far from where I live.One night last December as I was cycling home I was stopped by a Garda at a check point..it was about 2:20 am or so any way he proceeded to check the lights on my bike, the front one was working fine but the back one ,well the batteries were dead so it acted as a reflector and I had a reflective pants strap on my right leg.

He asked me if I had far to go and I said about a mile, he then said be careful cycling home and stay on the FOOTPATHS so I did as he said and cycled the whole way home on the footpaths which are very narrow in places.

So there a Garda directed me to break the law for my own personel saftey...what do ye make of that.

I cycle on the footpaths from time to time if the roads are very busy or have to go through roundabouts(I got hit by a car at a roundabout)but I allways give right way to pedesterians and dismount if any come along,I usually only go on the footpaths when they are clear.Cycle lanes do not exist where I cycle to and from work every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 G-style

This will be my first & last post on this forum...

Here's my 2 cents - take it or leave it...

I couldn't care less about where I ride my bike - i'll ride it on the road, footpath, cycle track, bus lane, down steps, laneways, parks... you name it. I'll block other road users if i feel like it & break as many lights as I can whenever I can. I don't wear a helmet or any reflective gear, although I do have lights but thats for my own protection rather than for the benefit of others. When I go out on my bike nothing should get in my way - old ladies, kids, cars whatever - i don't care - I own the road. I cycle at breakneck speed wherever i go with little room for error & love it. In fact I get pleasure watching cars drivers loose the head when I pull some dumb-ass move or break a light.

After reading the replies to this post I'm disgusted but not surprised. 90% of you are complete to$$ers. I can't believe what I'm reading - are you all a bunch of librarians or something - anyway don't get in my way..

My bike = freedom to do what I want - no questions..

And as for that arze bandit who raises his elbow for cyclists on the path - I'll take your f**king arm off & beat you to death with it... then come back for the rest...

Finner - its too bad you got caught.. maybe next time.. I know it certainly won't stop me.. they'll have to catch me first...

Thats it...

Lookee... a troll on a bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

G-style wrote:

I couldn't care less about where I ride my bike - i'll ride it on the road, footpath, cycle track, bus lane, down steps, laneways, parks... you name it. I'll block other road users if i feel like it & break as many lights as I can whenever I can. I don't wear a helmet or any reflective gear, although I do have lights but thats for my own protection rather than for the benefit of others. When I go out on my bike nothing should get in my way - old ladies, kids, cars whatever - i don't care - I own the road. I cycle at breakneck speed wherever i go with little room for error & love it. In fact I get pleasure watching cars drivers loose the head when I pull some dumb-ass move or break a light.

After reading the replies to this post I'm disgusted but not surprised. 90% of you are complete to$$ers. I can't believe what I'm reading - are you all a bunch of librarians or something - anyway don't get in my way..

And as for that arze bandit who raises his elbow for cyclists on the path - I'll take your f**king arm off & beat you to death with it... then come back for the rest...

Finner - its too bad you got caught.. maybe next time.. I know it certainly won't stop me.. they'll have to catch me first...

Thats it...

i have the same attitude coz for **** sake those **** in jeeps will kill you on the road,even on the path. one woman in a bmw jeep nearly killed me when i was WALKING on the path. she had the cheek to get out and call me a ****ing eejit for gettin in her way.
    ****ing hate jeeps love my kona

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hagar wrote:
    Lookee... a troll on a bike...

not something you see everyday, a sight to behold :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

G-style wrote:
    road, footpath, cycle track, bus lane, down steps, laneways, parks... you name it. I'll block other road users if i feel like it & break as many lights as I can whenever I can. I don't wear a helmet or any reflective gear, although I do have lights but thats for my own protection rather than for the benefit of others. When I go out on my bike nothing should get in my way - old ladies, kids, cars whatever - i don't care - I own the road. I cycle at breakneck speed wherever i go with little room for error & love it. In fact I get pleasure watching cars drivers loose the head when I pull some dumb-ass move or break a light.
    I think G-styles hit the G-spot. I terrorise the centre of Galway with a bike built for urban speed and close combat. Traffic lights? never saw it officer, I was trying to get my knee down on the corner... I finish most spins with flies in my teeth, scrapes on my knuckles and more adreniline in my head than any other time in my life. Watch out for me trying to break the land speed record on the path down by the canal between the Cathedral and Spanish Arch.

Finner, you have my sympathy - the court appearance is a minor thing - my bro got done for running the lights on D'Olier St at four one morning and he was fined €40 and cautioned, no sweat.

Sink your teeth into the ass of life and shake it for all you are worth, you'll be dead long enough.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wheresmejumper

I have a lot of sympathy for the original poster, I'd guess you can just try to enjoy the court experience (laugh at the gits in the wigs etc.), at most it will be a small fine, and you'll get some mileage out of the story afterwards. I don't cycle but I've seen guards pull cyclists on a couple of occasions for really minor infringments, once saw a girl turning up into O'Connell street, pulled in and humiliated for jumping a red light, she'd seen the light for the other traffic going red so knew hers was going green, plus the other traffic had stopped.

As she went around the corner a young guard shouted at her to stop and proceeded to give out loudly to her as maybe a few hundred people passed by. Seemed like he was going to let her go with just a humiliation. It looked like bullying. There was a second guard who seemed to be distancing himself from the first looking everyway but at the pair.

Sometimes it's just a power trip for the guards and it's easy, if a car is seen doing a similar or much more dangerous manoever it will be let go, as a shout from a guard isn't going to work, and even it does pull in - since it'll cause an obstruction - it'll be left go much quicker.

Sometimes it's just a power trip for the guards and it's easy, if a car is seen doing a similar or much more dangerous manoever it will be let go, as a shout from a guard isn't going to work, and even it does pull in - since it'll cause an obstruction - it'll be left go much quicker.

Must be just Dublin, only run it with the Guards I've heard about down in Waterford is a friend of mine being stopped for having no lights while going down the Cork road at 12.30am :rolleyes:
    That was about 2 years back... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If you really didn't care less, if you were really as selfish as you like to pretend, why would you bother your arse making your feelings known by posting them on an Internet forum and - dare I say it - trying to provoke a reaction?

It's obvious that you do care. You have an axe to grind just like everybody else. You want people to react to you and you'd be disappointed if they didn't. You might even consider posting again just to reply to this - that's how far your principle of self-interest extends.

Even those who claim to be selfish need someone to confirm the fact.
    G-style wrote:

Thats it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

i have the same attitude coz for **** sake those **** in jeeps will kill you on the road,even on the path. one woman in a bmw jeep nearly killed me when i was WALKING on the path. she had the cheek to get out and call me a ****ing eejit for gettin in her way.
    ****ing hate jeeps love my kona
    The best response to bad driver behaviour is to note the license plate and car description and report them to the Gardai. Take a stroll into your nearest station and describe the situation. Note the shoulder number and name of the Garda for any future follow-up (and to ensure the Garda doesn't ignore you). You will get a wide range of responses (enthuastic to indifferent).
    Ask that the Garda have a stern word. State that you are willing to file a report if the driver gives the Garda any lip.
    I tend to let things go if the Garda tells me that the driver was apologetic. I let other stuff go because I've gotten lazy about visiting the stations (it can be time consuming).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

G-style wrote:
    <shíte removal>
    I think G-styles hit the G-spot.
    <more shíte removal>

Its guys like you two that give urban cyclists a bad name. Some day you're going to break the lights one too many times and end up under car / white van / luas, and the last laugh will be ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its guys like you two that give urban cyclists a bad name. Some day you're going to break the lights one too many times and end up under car / white van / luas, and the last laugh will be ours.

You'd laugh at someone who was hurt? You are the worst of the lot. I've been under cars, I've gone over walls, I got t-boned by a guy on a motorbike and we both had to get stitches. Last laugh?, I nearly wet myself.

Better to burn out than fade away. If people didn't have me to give out about, their lives would be dull and worthless.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

A friend of mine used to have a nasty homemade crossbar that also doubled up as a mad max style weapon. Any SUV b*stard or any other type of b*stard or bit(h driver that got too close got a new go faster stripe down the side of their car....free of charge. Once an SUV c*nt got out and threaten to "burst his fu(king eyes", thing is he couldn't catch us cause he was a fat c*nt....aren't they all.

My oh my, aren't we attracting a lovely class of poster to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Gegerty wrote:
    A friend of mine used to have a nasty homemade crossbar that also doubled up as a mad max style weapon. Any SUV b*stard or any other type of b*stard or bit(h driver that got too close got a new go faster stripe down the side of their car....free of charge. Once an SUV c*nt got out and threaten to "burst his fu(king eyes", thing is he couldn't catch us cause he was a fat c*nt....aren't they all.
    How clever. Enrage someone driving a 1 ton vehicle and you'll probably find yourself becoming their new bonnet ornament or having your skull caved in with a wheel-jack on some pavement.

It's muppetary such as the above that makes Dublin roads such a joy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

the reason we are so hated is that in 5 - 10 years, many of those car drivers will return to two wheels. They know it, they resent it. Who when you a used to the palacial luxuryof a car, wants frost bite, wetting every day and the misery of the commute on two wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

More likely because a large number of cyclists perhaps even the majority are dangerous both to themselves and every other road user. But they don't have the smarts to realise it. Hence the scumbag posts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Havent read all of the posts above, so my post may not be so relevant, but hey.

I think cyclists are always going to bend and break the rules of the road, you are never going to get cyclists to never sly through lights, or hop up on the path, in the same way you are never going to stop all pedestrians from j-walking.

Personally I think its fine to cycle on the path, as long as you are being respectful to pedestrians and cycling at a slow pace so as not to freak anyone out. Probably against the rules, but hey, thats not going to stop me tbh. And most people walking rarely even look at you - I dont think most pedestrians would even think "hey, this guy's invading my space!".

I think cyclists and pedestrians have a lot more in common than cyclists and drivers, or drivers and pedestrians. I think guards see it this way too, even though the law would suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When I cycle to work, there is this one way system in operation. Now if I followed the law and went with traffic I would be adding 5+ minutes on to my cycle. But there is this wee street where traffic goes the other way, that would make it quicker. So I nip down the path of that, save me the bother. And I get done for

What the hell is wrong with the law!?!?!?!?!?!

Advertisement