Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clearwire

• 15-09-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

anyone got these, rang them today, they are coming out to the flat tomorrow to check if its available (fast eh!), it works on a mobile phone mast, so no line of sight is required. hope it works out ok, will post and let yas know how it goes - would like to know peoples experience with them, judging on my dealings with them so far seems pretty good company.

luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They *seem* good to me too, the guy is coming out to me this evening to install the modem, i'll post here later to tell you what it's like. From what i've heard it's brilliant.

He's getting someone to fax me over the contract now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ripwave *seemed* good to you as well Eth_0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

sorted! got it installed flying away , party! on hold to eircom to cancell the account with the ****ers!!!

1mb down 256 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Any chance of some ping results?

D:\Documents and Settings\Alan & Luke>ping boards.ie

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 33ms

D:\Documents and Settings\Alan & Luke>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [216.239.57.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=180ms TTL=246
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=246
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=246
    Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=189ms TTL=246

Ping statistics for 216.239.57.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 180ms, Maximum = 191ms, Average = 185ms

D:\Documents and Settings\Alan & Luke>

is that good, pings mean nothign to me?

luke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

is that good, pings mean nothign to me?

Yes, they are all within reasonable ranges for a BB product.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

what's the deal with IP addressing. do you get a static one?

sorted! got it installed flying away , party! on hold to eircom to cancell the account with the ****ers!!!

1mb down 256 up

Where abouts do you live? My upload is over 300kbps but my download hasn't gone over 600 and i'm on the 1Mb package?

I have 3-4 signal bars too.

I don't notice it being slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

i got it in rathmines the other day and from what i see you have to be in line of sight to the mast.

seems to go up and down at regular intervals, good speed once up though.

Pings in CS sit around 45-49 when good and around 89-95 when bad.

I've also got a wee problem now and again when i only get limited network activity. Pretty crap, i can login to MSN for about a minute or two but cant surf at the same time and then bang your disconnected.

I have five bars on it when that occurs! :eek:

When its good its GOOD, when its bad its BAD!

I'm still holding my breath!

Don't forget they're still pre-launch so the network isn't 100% yet.
    I'm going to ring them on monday about my speeds dropping, it's less than 512k dsl all day today, but i'm still getting up to 100kbps on torrents.

I'm not experiencing disconnections at all though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭MickH503

Hi folks ... What is the latest verdict on Clearwire speeds/service? Anyone any experience with Clearwire out in Maynooth? Cheers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Red Alert wrote:
    what's the deal with IP addressing. do you get a static one?

Currently they don't offer static IP but if you plead you case to them, they can sort you out. They gave me a static DHCP IP address because I needed one for work VoIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

eth0_ wrote:
    Don't forget they're still pre-launch so the network isn't 100% yet.
    I'm going to ring them on monday about my speeds dropping, it's less than 512k dsl all day today, but i'm still getting up to 100kbps on torrents.

I'm not experiencing disconnections at all though!

Hm, another IBB in the making. Let us know how you get on.

Yes because IBB gave me 100Kbps torrent downloads..

I've sent them screenshots showing my speeds, and pings and traceroutes. Will see what they say tomorrow. I do have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if they cant sort it i'll go down the route of DSL.

It's still 100 times better than Ripwave though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Does anybody know if its available in the Swords area?

Sgtshaft wrote:
    Does anybody know if its available in the Swords area?

Yeah it is, a guy on here has it in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Here's what the rep said to me about the service:

""The first month will only cost you one euro as a special introduction price. There is a 12 month contract but if you aren't happy with the service within the first 30 days we'll take it back free of charge.

I can call into you and give you a free demonstration whenever it suits you, morning or evening time.""

It's available in my area (Haddington Road) it seems. Currently using a RipWave and it dies out all the time. Drives me nuts! I figure this can't be any worse, although at €39.95 for a 1 Mb/256 kbps (With only a 10 Gb cap) and €49.95 for a 2 Mb/256 k (With a 20 Gb cap), it seems expensive enough! You're also tied to a 12 month contract. I think I'll give it a shot for a month anyways and see how it goes. My one concern is that after it goes on general release after October, they'll over-sell their lines and the service will drop off significantly. What come back has one in this case if the 12 month contract must be adhered to?! I'm apprehensive about this, as it's quite possible their service may end up like IBB......
    However, I figure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and see. Anyone know by the way what technology they use? Is it WiMax / VL 5.4 / VL 5.8 / or something different entirely?
    Please keep us posted on your progress with the service eth0_

Well no reply to the support query I sent them on Sunday!
    Going to ring them at 4 if there's no reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

no reply, i sent them a query last thursay and didn get anything!!!worse than being on hold on the phone.

I cancelled my connection to IBB yesterday (on hold for an 3/4 hour - just as well i dont pay for the phone bill) and the guy didn even seem interested in what i had to say, until i said i wanted everything in writing, he wasnt long changing his tune.

now at least i have something other than verbal, if my disconnection dosent take place and i get charged for it. because knowing them ill get charged for not using the dam thing

I got a reply from them an hour ago, someone in their engineering team is looking into the problem now.

• Advertisement

im getting 2mb download now, however it seems to be slower at night, i was only getting .5mb download over the weeked

364kbps down 354kbps up now

364kbps down 354kbps up now

Yeah i'm getting 368kbps down and 286kbps down.

I got a mail back from them saying they fiddled about with the backhaul.

Doesn't appear to have worked, in fact it's worse now. :(

Checked this morning and it was around 850Kbps. Got another mail from support saying they're still working on it.

John Player - how's your connection today?

Ok, considering the postings here, I decided to do a full ish test of my clear wire setup.

I've removed all computers from my connection. I only have one laptop, router and a hard VoIP phone, which is inactive until 2pm. So, my laptop should have full use of the connection.

I have the 2Mb : 256Kb connection
    I have also noticed over the past week or so, that I have anywhere from 1 light on to 5 lights on through out the day.
    I am about 20 houses away from their high site, in a straight line. So my connection is going through a huge amount of concrete walls etc. I do not have Line of Site from my home office.

www.irishisptest.com [currently 3 lights on]
    ================
    1.88Mbps download
    124Kbps upload [but over 4 or 5 tests this is fluctuating from 36Kbps to 130Kbps]
    91% QOS
    Round Trip time 30ms
    Max Pause 130ms

Ping to www.boards.ie using 100 pings
    =============================
    Max : 55ms
    Min : 28ms
    Avg : 33ms
    Packet Loss : 1% <- this is most important to me

Ping to www.jolt.co.uk using 100 pings
    =========================
    Max : 53ms
    Min : 36ms
    Avg : 41ms
    Packet Loss : 2% <- this is most important to me

ftp.esat.net
    =========
    Downloading an ISO of size 45789184 bytes [about 43.7MB]
    Averaging about 220KB/s sustained, looks like it peaked at about 228Kbps for a minute or so.
    Took about 3 minutes 20 seconds to download.

ftp.irishranger.com [US Server]
    ==============
    Uploading 19MB file
    Averaging 10KB/s, spiked to 10KB/s at one stage, then dropped to 8KB/s
    Estimated time : 36 minutes. Didn't complete the upload.

Conclusion
    I'm getting onto Clearwire now about my varying upload speeds. But the rest seems fine to me. Pings aren't as low as IBB on a good day [I was getting 7ms, sustained, to boards on my best day with IBB on the SIAC high site]

My signal has also dropped to 2 lights. I was getting 4 until Sunday.
    It didn't seem to make the problem any worse though, and with 2 bars this morning I was getting almost full speed.

I will give them a chance though, they are going to have teething problems at the start.

I agree, every company will have teething problems while they are setting up, so I'm not being too hard on them.

I just rang them. I sent them a screen shot of my speed test and a 2 week approx trace from pingplotter. Should give them a good bit of information.

Surprisingliy, he was very open about him working on a similar case for someone else :) Normally companies say that YOU are the only one experiencing this particular problem.

All in all, I like Clearwire. They seem pretty professional but also don't give you the bull excuses that the other tend to do on a daily basis. They seem genuinely concerned to get reported issues resolved.

just home from work 2.38down 279up
    5 lights, however i alwalys do

What mast are you on?

• Advertisement

They're not very forthcoming with the location of masts. Mine is pointing I guess in the direction of 3Rock but I would doubt that is where the nearest base station is.

Advertisement