Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(another!!!) PSP Dead Pixel Thread!

• 15-09-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi All, and before you say it, I know there are other "PSP dead pixel" threads here, so easy on the flaming please!!

Heres my story. Bought a PSP on Sept 1st in Xtravision with Wipeout Pure. When I got home I noticed about 20 dead pixels on the black startup screen. This was particurarly annoying, as there was a line of about 5 dead pixels which were very noticable.

I googled some info on this, and the general advice was to use the "flashing movie" thing, and wait for about 2 weeks to see if the dead pixels persisted. I let the flashing movie run at full brightness for about 4 hours, and it had no effect... the dead pixels were still there. About a week later, I let it run for another 4 or 5 hours, and some of the dead pixels seemed to be fixed.

To be totally honest, the dead pixels are difficult to see when watching a movie or playing a game, but darn it, I want my PSP to be perfect!! It cost enough money!!

Today I decided the dead pixels were not going to cure themselves, and phoned Xtravision. They told me that they would be happy to replace my PSP if it had more than 2 dead pixels (there is a tolerance level of 2 pixels... industry standard apparently).

The procedure is that I return the PSP to the shop where it was bought, they send it to Dublin to be tested, and if the technicians find a problem (in this case more than 2 dead pixels), I get an imediate replacement.

I'm away off now to return the PSP... I'l keep you all posted on what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It seems a bit strange that they have to send it away? Its a visable fault on the unit that cant be caused by the customer, I would have tried for a new one there and then, also if you dont have it back within 28 days you can demand a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

It seems a bit strange that they have to send it away? Its a visable fault on the unit that cant be caused by the customer, I would have tried for a new one there and then, also if you dont have it back within 28 days you can demand a new one.

think you might be mixed up there?

he's entitled to a replace within 28days if the unit is faulty.

If its gone away for repair, theres no set time for it to be back, as i understand it (open to correction).

Its silly they have to send it away, surely the guy in the shop can power up and see the pixels!

Mine is dead-pixel-free! Your dead right sending it back though, they cost enough, shouldnt be any defects at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

OK, PSP dropped in to Xtravision and the manager was very friendly and helpful. She told me that there will be no problem whatsoever if there are in excess of 2 dead pixels... Xtravision will replace with a new one immediately.

I didnt ask her why PSP had to be sent away, but I think Xtravision have a policy that all faulty electronics have to be checked by qualified techies. This saves rows in the local shops... most of the girls who work in my local look about 15!!!

I'll be without my baby for a week, but it'll be worth it if I get a replacement. I'm waiting on my 1gb memory stick to arrive anyway, so hopefully this time next week I'll have both.

It was interesting that the manager told me that they sold over 250 PSP's and I was only the second one to complain about dead pixels. I was surprised to hear that... to read the threads on here you would think every PSP sold had a few dead pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

not alot of people know what they actaully are, as for me i got my psp in march/april, jap psp, sent it back to uk(got it through uk company) and they sent ,e a brand new one in a few days, mind you it was a psp 1000 they sent me when the original was a psp 1000k they obviously musta switched one in box, as i got the value pack box, but its just a number no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

No - my guess is that you cant hear the contentment above the squeeky wheel.

People go mental when they get dead pixels and kick up a storm on every forum they frequent (dont blame them to be honest).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Jammer wrote:
    think you might be mixed up there?
    he's entitled to a replace within 28days if the unit is faulty.
    If its gone away for repair, theres no set time for it to be back, as i understand it (open to correction).

A company either has to replace an item or offer a "Prompt" repair, the definition of prompt in these type of cases being 28 days. all mobile phone stores and Currys/dixons have to have your product back to you within 28 days if sent for repair or you can demand a new product, I know this because I sent a sony camera off for repair with currys and the guy in the store told me to read the back of my receipt about repair times. on day 29 I got a new camera.

Ill try to find a link to cofirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I didnt ask her why PSP had to be sent away, but I think Xtravision have a policy that all faulty electronics have to be checked by qualified techies. This saves rows in the local shops... most of the girls who work in my local look about 15!!!

It was interesting that the manager told me that they sold over 250 PSP's and I was only the second one to complain about dead pixels. I was surprised to hear that... to read the threads on here you would think every PSP sold had a few dead pixels.

the reason for sending them away is because xtravision deals with a third-party distrobution company with all electronics, as opposed to dealing with sony, creative, nokia etc. etc.

and in the store i work with we've gotten none back.

also, i had a dead pixel problem and brought mine back to game. the guy was completely understanding and replaced it there and then. the one he gave me had a big ugly white dead pixel in the center of the screen, to which he promtly said "jesus you're unlucky" and handed me another perfect one.

irish customers obviously aren't getting the **** americans are (read some US forums, they're up in arms)

irish customers obviously aren't getting the **** americans are (read some US forums, they're up in arms)

Any chance of a link to those forums? I'd be interested to keep abreast of this.

Since you work in Xtravision, is there any inside info you can give me? What if the PSP comes back in the same condition, and Xtravision tell me there is nothing wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gandalf23 wrote:
    Any chance of a link to those forums? I'd be interested to keep abreast of this.

Since you work in Xtravision, is there any inside info you can give me? What if the PSP comes back in the same condition, and Xtravision tell me there is nothing wrong with it?
    then show them it's problematic. put a black pc on your mem stick and load it up in the store to make the dead pixels show up like little annoying stars in the night sky :D

there should be no problem, xtravision doesn't lose any money on them

OK tomorrow is the day... getting my PSP back... lets hope there are ZERO dead pixels this time (although to be honest, and considering the PSP "dead pixel" poll here, I am living more in hope than confidence... shame on you Sony).

• Advertisement

Ok, got my new PSP last night and guess what... at least 10 dead pixels.

I am so so so pissed off. To make matters worse, my 1gb memory stick arrived this morning.

I phoned Xtravision (who have been really great to be honest) and they are giving me a full refund.

This is really crap... shame on Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sony really do make some rubbish gear. The PS2 was the same, dvd drives that had failure rates through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

10 is excessive. I have 2 bright pixels. They are only noticable when the screen is all black and don't effect anything else.

The screens are class 2, so there is a certain amount of dead pixels allowed before you can claim a refund (should be able to ask for another though).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

got one yester....well over 10 messed up pixels....brought it back today...got a replacement (after a bit of wrangling with the assistant) and its totally clean

Advertisement