Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

problem with win2k

• 15-09-2005 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

whn i double click on any folder on my desktop... they wont open, i can hightlight them but they just do nothing when i try open, highlighting and hitting enter doesnt open them either, i havent been on net much at all in recent times so im doubtful its a virus but it happened all of a sudden so maybe it is...

any ideas? help appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is it just on you desktop or does the same problem occur in Windows Explorer? If the latter, the file association for "Folder" and/or "File Folder" may be borked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

didnt check that, if i right click on it and try go to explore that didnt work either, how is it all fixed ??

no i think i have major troubles now......

was getting this message svchost has errors and will shutdown, it kept coming up the whole time, so i found it and deleted it, takign a chance it wouldnt matter, now the pc just keeps rebooting, getting to a certain point and rebooting....

its a virus i presume, is there a way i can save data on my pc?????

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

Boot in safe mode and select fail safe defaults. If you can get in click the start button, bottom left, select run, type in msconfig.exe select startup and check what your startup files are, you may have a problem there. I run my startup on selective files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Right you are rightly buggered right now

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: svchost.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Welchia.Worm. It takes advantage of the Windows LSASS vulnerability, which creates a buffer overflow and instigates your computer to shut down. To see more information about this vulnerability please look at the following Microsoft bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

Was you machine patched against this vuln???

Lets just say deleting it was a very bad thing. You could possibly do a repair install of Windows by rebooting with your windows 2000 disk in the CD drive and selecting the install option. Continuing on to install and select Repair (R)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you get an option for safe mode try it and use system restore to undo the svchost.exe deletion and maybe roll further back to sort out the folder problem.

try start run c:\ to see you could start folders that way.

thanks for the replies, yeah i think i am rightly buggered, :rolleyes:
    ill have a one more go tonight at it and try to restore,

in another query, i couldnt find a win2k cd last night so i tried to instll xp, put in the cd and changed all 3 boot types to cd rom, it then went to 'searching for cd rom'... then flicked on and started loading 2000, how is this possible if i changed all the boot methods to cdrom in the bios, should it not just stop if the cd isnt working??? ill never understand computers...

If its an Install Disk for XP .. it should have a bootable information on the CD, if it doesnt boot using it, it probably doesnt. Hence why you cant boot with it. Is it a valid Windows XP disk rather than one that was acquired somewhere

acquired.
    i tried installing it in safe mode, but it didnt work, it couldnt copy certain files so i had to cancel

Can you get into Windows in Safe mode?

• Advertisement

yeah i can hit f8 and choose it,

where it keeps restarting is after the windows screen, the blue dots go all the way and then it flashes onto a darkish blue screen for 1/2 second then clicks off and reststarts (this is in normal mode. in safe mode i can get in)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Confetti,
    Go here:
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm
    and scan your computer for a virus, before you do anything else.

S.

I am not saying this will work but it is worth a shot

Can you run you virus scanner and check your Hard disk for virii and infections?? If clear you have a few options..

Do a repair install of Windows 2K. To this you will need a bootable Windows 2000 disk. Pass up the option of the repair console and get to where the system checks for previous versions of Windows. You will be given a couple of options select R to Repair and this will copy the new files in to repair your install. You will need to install all your apps again along with patches updates etc

2. If its just SVCHOST thats screwed up, in safe mode see can you do the following

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888017

(This is for XP, but if you have the files you should be alright.. again i am not certain)

If you have the Windows 2000 Res Kit the file expand might be on that disk. I dont know if this method will work as you will have to do a force overwrite of the SVCHOST possibly. I have never used this method so no warranty with this at all. Try at own peril! :D

thanks, ill print this and see what i can do later, can't connect to the net in safe mode though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

One thing you could try is to get ahold of a 2k disk,boot into safe mode and click start > Run > sfc this will load up system file check and will probably put back in the auld svchost

confetti wrote:
    yeah i can hit f8 and choose it,

where it keeps restarting is after the windows screen, the blue dots go all the way and then it flashes onto a darkish blue screen for 1/2 second then clicks off and reststarts (this is in normal mode. in safe mode i can get in)
    The darkish blue screen is probably a Stop error. Try this so.

In Safe Mode right-click My Computer, and choose Properties. Now click the Advanced tab and the third Settings button. Uncheck "Automatically reboot" and click OK. Now when you start in normal mode the blue screen will stay up and it might tell you something about why its not starting properly.

thanks for all the help,

i eventually just reinstalled windows (left format alone) it kept restarting during installation but i eventually got in, (with errors i think) tried installing all the servicepacks, pc keeps shutting down every now and then for no reason, similiar to the blaster but i did a check its not that so it must be some newer worm, anyway tried installing eircom dial up but couldnt get through to any number, so basically i think ill format and start from scratch,
    and possibly get myself a dell in the near future which seem to have all parts in perfect harmony as opposed to a put together machine.

well,
    i formatted my drive and was reinstalling windows, machine crashed again, blue error screen, "Physical dump of memory complete" or something like that,
    now the drive was formated so this can't be a virus right?? so does it mean my hard drive is f.u.c.k.e.r.e.d??????????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

confetti wrote:
    well,
    i formatted my drive and was reinstalling windows, machine crashed again, blue error screen, "Physical dump of memory complete" or something like that,
    now the drive was formated so this can't be a virus right?? so does it mean my hard drive is f.u.c.k.e.r.e.d??????????
    It's the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - and without more details about the STOP 7A and other numbers it could be anything. - yahoo finds 1,070,000 hits for BSOD !

BTW: formatting a drive WON'T remove partition table viruses - unlikely but can't be rulled out.

computers...theyd break your heart

• Advertisement

tried loading win2k onto another harddrive last night, same thing happened blue screen of death and system dump!!! what the bejaysus is this???

then i trid it on another disk i had, went as for as loading windows then started saying 'cannot find this file etc... i cancelled a few but there seemed so many it couldnt find i just gave up

as someone once said to me "ill tell you what to do with that pc, tie it on to the back of a car and drive very very fast"

oh yeah one of the blue screen errors had message "no more IRP stack locations"

confetti wrote:
    "no more IRP stack locations"
    google is your friend - 45,600 hits for that phrase , still too vague.

tip: write down the stop numbers and error message

I'd suspect a RAM or motherboard fault.

Advertisement