Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid Cost effiency.

• 15-09-2005 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Im just trying to understand if getting a prius now is a good Idea considering the increasing price of petrol. Afaik theres no other hybrid available in Ireland atm, so Im using the prius for comparison.

Here are my calculations so far:
    Toyota Prius.

Price: New: 29,500 Used: 24,500 USD Tech or 7,900.

Value of 98 1.8 vectra: 3000 (Optimistic)

Cost to run per year @ 15000 Miles per year and Petrol at 1.22/ Litre.

Vectra (25MPG): 593 Gallons @ 1.22/liter = 3,617.41 EUR

Prius (56MPG): 270 Gallons @ 1.22/liter = 1,646.25 EUR

The difference per year is 1971.16.

1st year value towards replacement 4971.16 notwithstanding increasing petrol prices.

Cheapest option: 1st generation Prius 7,900 – 4,971.6 = 2,928.4

Advantages: Cheap

Disadvantages: 1st generation technology prone to problems and repair costly considering the technology involved and lack of second hand parts market.

Time to repay its value after the first year on petrol alone = 1.49 Years.

Middle Option: 2nd generation prius with usd 24,500 – 4,971.6 = 19,528.4

Advantages: Second Generation, Improved technology, Warranty still valid.

Disadvantages: Costly, 2nd hand market pit falls.

Time to repay its value after the first year on petrol alone = 9.90 Years.

Expensive Option: New prius 29,500 – 4,971.6 = 24,528.4

Advantages: New, Full warranty.

Disadvantages: Highest Cost.
    Time to repay its value after the first year on petrol alone = 12.44 Years.
    Other Savings:

Motor Tax: 511 – 391 = 120 per year.

Also should have lower insurance, but this is unknown and case dependant.

Id just like to see if I missed anything, and what you think on the matter.

Oh and the calculations on fuel cost were taken from here:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/calculator/index.php

I did all the conversions, and used an audi a4 1.8 for comparision seeing as the vectra wasnt listed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

It all depends on where you drive most of the time. If you drive a lot of those 15k miles out on the open road, you won't gain much of an advantage with the Prius. The engine part of the car will do most of the open road work, so you may aswell have a cheaper 1.5 petrol car. If, on the other hand, you do most of your driving in the city where the electric part of the car can do it's business, then you'll win with the Prius.

My advice would be to give the overly expensive Prius a skip. Get yourself in to one of the ultra economic PAG diesel engined cars.

For example:
      Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi, can be bought very cheaply second hand Peugeot 307 1.4 HDi, same engine, a bit more expensive Peugeot 407 1.6 HDi, 110bhp and 55 mpg. New and dear enough Mazda3, same 1.6 diesel as above. Cost, low 20's Ford Focus, same 1.6 diesel as above, dear Volvo S40, same 1.6 diesel as above, dearer still

All these engines are well proven, economical and good to go.

There's plenty of other diesels there too to be had, most not as good as the PAG units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I am a fan of Hybrid Cars.

Read an article a while back in which two lads in a Pruis got 110mpg from the car. The lads where in Amercia on a very straight road doing 40 mph. No wonder they got those results.

The Financial Times on Saturday last stated in another article that sale have doubled in the State in comparsions to this time last year.

The Honda Civic IMA the alternative option available in the UK.

No inflation calculation seems to be included.

I agree with the above point, deisel engines seem to be the better option at the moment. I like the TDi PD engines from VW but the PAG engines are meant to be crackers as well.

Get these engines remapped and chipped, and surprisingly you get increased power and increased fuel efficency as well!!!

Advertisement