Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Driving me Insane (this will blow your mind)

• 15-09-2005 4:09pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

My god eircom are a nightmare to deal with.

Okay I've been patiently waiting for broadband to reach Moate for months. It did so a few months back. As soon as it was available I tried to place an order but found my line was not suitable. I currently have an ISDN line, 2 different lines both unsuitable I was told. Please try again in a few months when the lines may be upgraded. Crap I thought oh well.

Then my neighbour got it and I tried again same thing and told the same story about waiting. None of the people we rang suggested there might be interference from machines running on the line.

Tried again a few weeks later same thing.
    So then we hit upon the idea that there was interference from either an extension running from the shop on our premises, a fax machine or a mobile credit machine on the line. We removed them but still no pass.

My father knowing someone who worked in eircom told him our troubles and said we should be automatically suitable for broadband as we have ISDN and eircom normally don't even bother to do a line test if you have ISDN.

About the same time our phone line was cut by builders next door by accident and we where told a eircom technician would be sent out to fix it which he did. We ask about broadband and he told us the same thing about the ISDN line. We should have no problem getting broadband.

So I tried again and got a pass just about. She said the signal was amber and that there might be a problem with the line but we be told by the technician coming out to remove the ISDN in 3 weeks and he would install broadband assuming line was okay. 10 days later I noticed we did not recieve our broadband modem and rang eircom to find no order had been placed.

After being told I would have to wait 3 weeks again I said fine can you place the order again. Sure but then...."line fail". I told her that was because we had stuff interfering with the line. She said okay she place the order and mark it as an exception. She would ring back. She did not.

For the next week or so we where unable to presue the matter. Incidently my friend in Athlone at this time wanted to get a phoneline installed from eircom and was told 4-8 weeks to get it installed due to eircoms promotion of installing lines for free.

Now we are setting up a business at home ( a second business) it requires as part of company training a broadband connection and an independent phone line. This was an extremely urgent matter. Online training requires broadband. So off we went into the eircom store to place an order for broadband (on our current isdn line) and order a new phone line. Take 10 weeks we where told for the new phone due to eircoms installing phonelines for free promotion.
    Can't order broadband as current lines failed. Tried explaining but to no avail

So yesterday I rang up eircom and removed stuff from line. Was told the line was fine placed order. She also noticed I tried to order before and it was rejected (we where never told why nor did she know why) Order was placed told 3 weeks to get ISDN line removed but ring back on friday to make certain.

Okay 1 problem down. Now I need a phone line. Rang up told 4 weeks at the earlist. Please ring back later as our service is down. So I did....asked for a business line . She asked me did I want a standard line or high speed. I asked for high speed (another f***ing ISDN line) cause we need a line to have a fax on it etc. How long to get it insalled I asked she said 10-12 days. I said really thats quicker from what others have been told. She said yeah time has come down and its quicker to order a high speed line. Okay I said.

So then I mentioned that in we probably have the new isdn line removed cause we want a second broadband line for the house. (For me/home use) she said that was pointless and only cost me money to remove line and take 3 weeks for another technician to remove the line. I said I did not care time was the issue not cost. She said in that case take a PSDN line (standard line) cause it be installed quicker...(now your thinking hang on a minute thats the opposite to what she just said) so I say to her your sure that the PSDN line is quicker to install. She goes yes. Then you able to order broadband and wont have to wait for a technician to remove the isdn line. I said fine I'll order that okay. Please hold while I put you through to my college.

"Okay you like an a PSDN line" the new eircom sales women said. "Okay that will take 4 weeks at the earlist"..... :mad: . Exsaparated I ordered the f-ing line. She said she would try and speed up the installation time. Please call back mid next week to make sure the order is placed!!!!!

On top of this the person who pays the line rental to eircom was once over charged by €40 for late payment. Our line was cut off and we suppose to €20 to restart the line but they charging us €60. We where told on numerous occasions that this bill would be scrapped. This was a few years back and the bill is still there.

Another story I heard from an eircom techie was that they hired outside contracters to help them with work and by this guy's own estimation the contractor did at least 3 times as much work as the eircom techies did.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

this is Ireland you know and these type of happenings are the norm unfortunately.

I hope you get sorted. I am waiting to win euromillions!!

gb--

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No surpriseman,i really feel for you though as i went through similar experience.
    After 5 years waiting for any sort of fast internet eventually broadband came to my town in feb just gone.
    I ordered straight away from eircom and they said 3 weeks for an engineer install and migration from isdn which i had for a year.
    Fair enough ,i was over the moon.
    3 weeks passed and no sign so i rang and they said no order was made,FFS i was livid,when i calmed down i re-ordered and was told 3 more weeks.
    2 weeks after i said id better ring to check and they had noted i made an order but it was lost,ffs again i went berserk.
    I eventually got it in the following week but they gave me home plus package when i ordered home starter.
    I didnt argue and just took itas i was not letting them near my line again.
    Even now i do consider downgrading to starter pack which is 1mb line as i dont download much and my 2 mb line gives same ping as 1 mb lins for gaming but im terrified letting them near the lineas ive heard more horror stories of folk getting downgraded only to have eircom screw up again.
    No consilation but you will get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

switch to another ISP ffs instead of being "terrified"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah im tempted but only other option is esat and their horror stories are as bad if not worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its a great country isn't. If its any comfort it took them 2 weeks to install a phone line in their own building, called "telepohone house" I kid you not. They never installed a ISDN that was also requested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I don't want to sound negative on this thread and I'm sure if Eircom ever really screw up on my service I'll be the first to complain .....

but ......to be fair to them on my BB connection ....

I ordered it Feb 1st 2006 .... free router - filters - cables etc arrived within a week and my BB line was operational Feb 10th .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Azza wrote:
    My god eircom are a nightmare to deal with.
    Dcully wrote:
    No surpriseman,i really feel for you though as i went through similar experience.
    Both of you should report your series of problems to ComReg.
    Dcully wrote:
    i made an order but it was lost
    I've heard about disappearing orders.
    Azza wrote:
    Please call back mid next week to make sure the order is placed!!!!!
    This is so pathetic that it's funny. WTF is going on there? Do they write the orders on sugar paper that dissolves when it's damp?

I have painful experiences with eircom too. Getting any info from them was next to impossible, you really have to know someone (and that was how we got the data we needed - our line in D15 would never pass). Thankfully ntl are here - so glad not to be giving any more money to eircom than I have to. I really should dump my landline, just too lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

The business college in moate had to get Last mile sattelite installed.

Seen a lot of Eircon vans around the town during the week.

Btw Azza im looking for work experience for college, if you are starting up a new business id be glad to help you out for a couple of weeks.

Advertisement