Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it legal to undertake idiots?

• 15-09-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is this allowed.

Every morning I travel along a section of road with a bus lane thats open after 9:30a.m. I seem to be the only person that has noticed this so I flash down the bus lane, meanwhile undertaking about 50 near stationary cars, is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the traffic is stationary on your right, I do believe it (technically) is, as the traffic is moving in queues - yours is just significantly shorter than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yes it is legal. And you right to do it so long as your travelling in the bus lane at the allowed times that are sign posted.

However if your like me who drives to Dublin (Baggot St) from Monaghan, I will not use the bus lanes cause, 1. your not ment to at the times id be there & 2. Bus drivers will rail road you down without a thought.

Even as it is they cut onto our lane, drive right your ass and leave you no room to move about (dodge the bus). The amount of times i have nearly be clipped by buses is a joke and they travel through the city at higher speeds than everyone else.

My mate was knocked off a bike at the south end of Gardner St by a bus. Gardas called and they didnt give a damn. Attitude in this country stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Whats undertaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Funkstard wrote:
    Whats undertaking?

I hope you are joking mate, it's the opposite of overtaking! ;)

The worts driving you see are the eejits in the outside lane of the M1 or M50 doing 100km/h and they are oblivious to the fact that you are travelling at a higher speed than they are but will they move?? Not even a solitary flash of your headlights will move them. However, you won't consider undertaking them because you feel that they possess sh1te all brain power that they'll probably pull in on top of you. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ah right, when you pull to the side and let someone overtake you?

• Advertisement

Last night travelling home on the M1 this mad man in a new Merc comes travelling up the outside lane about 90-100mph, undertakes a slower car on the outside lane then switches back to the outside lane then at the turn off for Swords he cuts in front of two cars going up the lane towards the roundabout....Madness...

O yeah thats it.... Have you ever seen the Channel 4 ads of the car is America cuts throw three lanes of traffic just missing the centre divide.

It was just like that....

Merc and Beaver drivers are always racing each other up and down the M1 and two cars of the same make.

Sad Mo'Fo's

Overtaking is passing a car out using the right hand lane.

Undertaking is passing a car out using the left hand lane (the slow lane)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

kluivert wrote:
    Last night travelling home on the M1 this mad man in a new Merc comes travelling up the outside lane about 90-100mph, undertakes a slower car on the outside lane then switches back to the outside lane then at the turn off for Swords he cuts in front of two cars going up the lane towards the roundabout....Madness...
    Well the car in the outside lane shoulda moved into the left lane when he saw the faster car approaching (i'm presumin here that the slower car wasn't actually passin anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fletch wrote:

Every morning I travel along a section of road with a bus lane thats open after 9:30a.m. I seem to be the only person that has noticed this so I flash down the bus lane, meanwhile undertaking about 50 near stationary cars, is this legal?

Do you then try and squeeze back into the right hand lane when you reach the top of the road or whatever? If not, then you are just using a different lane. I wouldn't see anything wrong with that at all. It isn't a motorway, so it's not as if the right hand lane is just for overtaking - it is just lane driving.

Seems the general consensus is that, Yes I am allowed to use this lane.....it just feels like sometimes I'm doin somethin wrong cause i see all the twats sittin there in their cars & I jus swan up the inside without a care in the world and skip them all....I can literally hear them all tuttin in disapproval as I go by, however if they actually paid attention to the road signs, they would know realise that they could save themselves a few mins and use the bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

yea its amazing how many ppl do not read the bus lane signs, is it included on the test nowadays? I cant remember studying that sign when I was doing my test 6 odd yrs ago (gawd I feel old saying that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

fletch,
    what our doin seems perfectly legal and ok to me.

Though personally I'm always very wary of passing stationary/slow moving cars on the left (or right!) as there is nearly always some dope who will pull into your lane without indicating or even looking in their mirrors.

.....in fact it often seems that most drivers never use their lefthand mirrors !

Yeh I have to say, when I am in the bus lane, I tend to drive with extreme caution and continually watch the traffic in the other lane for anyone making any sudden changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ando wrote:
    yea its amazing how many ppl do not read the bus lane signs, is it included on the test nowadays? I cant remember studying that sign when I was doing my test 6 odd yrs ago (gawd I feel old saying that)
    It's in the ROTR. I was advised on a recent test (last month) that if you see a bus lane - read the sign. If it's not in operation, then you *must* use it, as the road is effectively now a two-lane carraigeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    If it's not in operation, then you *must* use it, as the road is effectively now a two-lane carraigeway.

Shhhsshh, please do not spread the word :)

The car on the overtaking lane was overtaking everything on the left and the Merc was doing excess speed. Seriously! The Merc came from no where it was going that fast.

Warning to all drivers - Garda patrol on the Carrickmacross by-pass from Adree to Castlblayney.

I see silly fookers getting caught everyday and they deserve it - its not a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

ando wrote:

1 of several things,
    the sign and print are very small.
    Steam, fog and rain obscure the print, so it cannot be read.
    Cars tailgating so close it is impossible to pull out and change lanes saftely.
    Nobody has a clock or know what time it is. (ask anyone in ROI to meet you at anywhere @ a given time and check the results.).
    Given the directional signs are about 50% correct, nobody trusts what it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Last week I was on the motorway to Dundalk and some dick undertook a car as he passed a sliproad. Fvcking nutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I really wish people would start calling them the overtaking lane (the one on the right), and then just the lane you're meant to drive in all the time because you're not overtaking.

Calling them fast or slow lane is pointless. The worst is when you get two people side by side matching each other for speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

unkel wrote:
    Shhhsshh, please do not spread the word :)

I think this thread should be locked and deleted, and the topic of "driving in bus lanes and passing all the muppets who won't use it becasue they're afraid even when they know they can drive in them but won't anyway" should never be brought up again. In fact anyone who ever lets out the secret again should be banned for life and forced to watch recordings of Ireland AM every night.

... there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

kluivert wrote:
    Overtaking is passing a car out using the right hand lane.

Undertaking is passing a car out using the left hand lane (the slow lane)

Only by convention. Both methods of passing a car are overtaking, as overtaking refers to the act of passing, not the direction in which you do it. Undertaking has a raft of other meanings, none of them related to passing other vehicles.

Dermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

mackerski wrote:
    Only by convention. Both methods of passing a car are overtaking, as overtaking refers to the act of passing, not the direction in which you do it. Undertaking has a raft of other meanings, none of them related to passing other vehicles.

Dermot

Yeah, but a cop won't fine you for burying somebody.
    As the fella says, "one smart answer deserves another"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DubTony wrote:

I bet you he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

DubTony wrote:

Depends, Were they dead when you buried them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

astrofool wrote:
    I really wish people would start calling them the overtaking lane (the one on the right), and then just the lane you're meant to drive in all the time because you're not overtaking.

Calling them fast or slow lane is pointless.
    Tell this to the authorities too. Recently on the M4 I spotted a big flashing sign telling drivers "Fast lane closed ahead"
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

fletch wrote:

Yes you are in the right. If traffic is stationary or turning right, you have the right to undertake. I dont blame ya! :)

Advertisement