Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Statement

Options
  • 15-09-2005 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I can find information on producing a "Mission Statement" for a new company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Pick any company you want. Get there mission statement, get out the tipx and fill in the blank. Alot of Mission Statements are the same but a quality mission statement must contain certain elements to be concerned a good mission statement. If i can remember them ill pass them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

kluivert wrote:
    Pick any company you want. Get there mission statement, get out the tipx and fill in the blank. Alot of Mission Statements are the same but a quality mission statement must contain certain elements to be concerned a good mission statement. If i can remember them ill pass them on.

Eh, just what is the point in having a mission statement if you're just going to copy somebody else's?

Pick two mission statements and really look at them closing. Most mission statements are the same.

BUT Certain misssion statments are better than others. These mission statements will contain elements that comprise a good quality mission statement.

What is a mission statment and who is it for the attention of? I think what my point is, is that alot of people devise a mission statement which if read properly is actually the strategy of the company rather than its visionary statement(the purpose of the company). Alot of people write about how they are going to achieve the purpose of the company in their mission statement ie their strategy.

A very simplified statement would be:

....to be a competitive market leader in the industry for shareholder wealth maximisation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 finfacts

Most mission statements including those produced by the biggest companies in the world are simply a load of waffle - aspirational piffle that has little relationship to reality e.g. Our staff are our greatest resource etc

My advice is to avoid cliché and bull****. By all means set targets and communicate the detail as to how these will be achieved to staff. Otherwise, employees will rightly ignore your statement and regard it as a shopping list of platitudes.

Michael Hennigan

Qualities of a good Mission Statement.

A Mission Statment should have and do the following:

Reason for existence.
    Support the strategy of the company.
    Should contain standards
    Should contain values

British Airways have a good Mission which encompasses these four elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I am in the process of generating a new mission statement for my company. I have the following so far:

Our mission is to become our clients’ preferred Information Technology partner, delivering innovative, practical and cost-effective IT solutions.

By doing so, COMPANY X plan to:
    • Build long-term strategic relationships with its clients
    • Grow rapidly and profitably
    • Continually become a better place to work for all employees

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Is this it Kluivert?

Corporate Responsibility
    British Airways is committed to being a good neighbour, concerned for the community and environment. We continually strive to improve our social and environmental performance, with the objective of ensuring that our activities contribute to the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate.

Four main elements underpin British Airways' management of social and environmental issues and its approach to corporate responsibility:

Sound corporate policies; effectively communicated.

Robust management systems for social and environmental issues.

Open and honest reporting.

Engagement with stakeholders.

Thats there policy in Corporate Responsibility

If i get it ill post it here.

British Airways is always the example is use for mission statements.

To answer your question as to where to can get info on producing one, well i would google it and see who can offer you the best professional advise.

Personally i would produce one yourself and test it out.

Or if your really lazy take British Airways Mission Statement and replace "British Airways" with your company name. Not recommended but it is an alternative option.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

We've have a few proposals and we're just looking for guidance.
    There's a lot of rubbish throughout the google searches and we just wanted a few good examples to help us & for comparison.

I cant find the british airways mission statement but i have it in my study notes somewhere. Ill dig it out and get it posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mjgdunne

Does anybody know where i can get a copy of the ESB's mission statement? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

mjgdunne wrote:
    Does anybody know where i can get a copy of the ESB's mission statement? :D

'We are a virtual monopoly and supply electricity in a very cost deficient manner'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

why not use the Dilbert mission statement generator?

Hours of endless fun! :)

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/games/career/bin/ms.cgi

Advertisement