Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One ugly website

Options
  • 15-09-2005 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

http://www.dundrum.ie/

I mean, wow, it is one ugly site and whoever did it used Flash simply for the sake of using it.

Personally I found it quite offensive that the homepage is a continually looping flash movie, that I can only turn the sound off.

As for the choice of colours - ugh, black against maroon does not work.

Because of it being a new development, I had (for some reason) visions of a modern, and graphical stunning site - and instead I get a pile of poo, bad Flash poo if you will

People - your thoughts (and yes I am bitching just for the hell of it, its a slow day)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My god - I didn't actually click anything because I guess it would induce either connection pain or vomiting.

Imagine using that site on a modem - you'd be truly pissed off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Because of this site, a new word (well a stolen funny one) has been created

Ga-vomiting - combination gag and vomit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

It's pretty goddamn awful alright but I've seen much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Never thought I'd see a site that made me motion sick, but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its bad. Not very nice at all. You'd only like it if you were tripping, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, it would have been nice if it wasn't a website.

Although not as bad as the one above in terms of sea-sickness, I almost got a job with the crowd that makes this website. Although it's well made and looks ok it's just annoying to browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Death penalty for people who make flash websites, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

speaking of horror flash sites!
    http://www.forumwaterford.com/FLASH/

i nearly choked on my own vomit.....o wait i am..arrhh!

Death penalty to people who make sweeping generalisations about Flash sites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Never thought I'd see a site that made me motion sick, but here we are.

my sentiments exactly, i got really dizzy after about 2 secs on that site, i wonder wot the stats are for people who go past the first page

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

flash when used correctly is great flash used ala dundrum and the waterford forum is a capital offence imo

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

speaking of horror flash sites!
    http://www.forumwaterford.com/FLASH/

i nearly choked on my own vomit.....o wait i am..arrhh!
    Dear god, my eyes.

I don't think I can replicate this image if I tried:
    list.gif

I know it's a gif but it looks like some strangely shape tweened text. But it's a gif :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gordon wrote:
    Well, it would have been nice if it wasn't a website.

Although not as bad as the one above in terms of sea-sickness, I almost got a job with the crowd that makes this website. Although it's well made and looks ok it's just annoying to browse.

Yeah - screen... not... tall... enough.... F11 no use....

_raptor_ wrote:
    flash when used correctly is great flash used ala dundrum and the waterford forum is a capital offence imo

That's really covering old ground. This argument has been raging since the 90's and we're all still doing it. Why bother? Can we just agree that it's the workman and not the tools? There are plenty of rubbish HTML sites out there... there are plenty of appalling standards-compliant sites out there too. Yet we bash Flash verbatim until we're blue in the face. :rolleyes:

kstanl - trust me, I set out to bash whoever created that monstrosity - not the tools they used.

I wonder if anyone can name and shame or if they are a boards user will they have the testicular fortitude to stand up and be proud of that site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

I dont' like it but its nowhere near as bad as you guys are making it out to be. A little less movement from the background and some less harsh coloring and it could be allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

kstanl wrote:
    That's really covering old ground. This argument has been raging since the 90's and we're all still doing it. Why bother? Can we just agree that it's the workman and not the tools? There are plenty of rubbish HTML sites out there... there are plenty of appalling standards-compliant sites out there too. Yet we bash Flash verbatim until we're blue in the face. :rolleyes:

The point is that there is never a situation where flash is superior to HTML for a website that people are actually going to use. It's a great tool for showing off, and for making fun animations, but that's ALL all-flash sites are; a show-off session. Their usability is generally horrible.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021125.html

rsynnott wrote:
    The point is that there is never a situation where flash is superior to HTML for a website that people are actually going to use. It's a great tool for showing off, and for making fun animations, but that's ALL all-flash sites are; a show-off session. Their usability is generally horrible.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021125.html

Using Jakob Neilson's arguments has been raging since the 90's too :D

At the end of the day, saying that Flash usability is generally horrible may or may not be true but you have to concede that this is the fault of the designer and not the technology itself. While XHTML holds the fort over Flash in terms of accessibility and SEO - there's nothing wrong with using Flash as long as you use it properly. Flash is a great tool but it has its uses - microsites, RIA's, some FMCG sites and ephemeral s**t. It's a matter of knowing HOW to use it and WHEN to use it. From my experience, anti-Flash militancy is more often than not a sign of inexperience and/or immaturity in industry.

Oh stop it people - this is nothing to do with Flash is bad/good/great and the pro/anti Flash brigade

This was all about an ugly website - thats all

As said already - the Flash debate has been done before - line is drawn, learn not to cross it

The only thing that irritates me more than the anti-Flash brigade are holier-than-thou fascist mods. I'll stick to the other couple of boards I frequent and leave you lot to it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The only thing that irritates me more than the anti-Flash brigade are holier-than-thou fascist mods. I'll stick to the other couple of boards I frequent and leave you lot to it.

I am holier than you, I have many many genital and facial piercings - as for being a fascist - well I know I am no follower of fashion, but thats no reason for name calling

Wait, were you trying to insult me?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

That site is pretty bad, but I've seen A LOT LOT worse.

This http://www.forumwaterford.com/FLASH/ definitely blows it out of the water for crapiness.

*BLAHK*

Advertisement