Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an irish online game retailer?

Options
  • 15-09-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

i'm in a position where i would be able to buy in ds and psp games (and gba) in bulk and do them for decent prices, less than play and cdwow for instance. my only problem is do you think irish people would buy from me, considering how well established the above two companies are. I would have the advantages of lower prices and quicker postage, but would that be enough? please vote and and add a comment

Would buy from me? 48 votes

Yes, go for it, i want cheaper games
    0% 0 votes
    No, i'd prefer to buy from a company i know of
    100% 48 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

As long as your operation looked professional and all that then I don't see why not. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I reckon there's definately a gap in the market for an Irish based online games shop. I'd definately order if the prices were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Aye, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

nice one for the feedback so far, looking very positive. @ hugh hefner: the site would be simple and clear, with as little clutter as possible. wanna make things as handy as possible. keep the opinions coming though, can never have too much advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I suppose it will also be good for different payment methods, like cheque, credit card, direct debit or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Yeah, make it look as professional as possible, keep your prices decent and remember the golden rule of internet purchasing - be really nice to the customer as all it takes is one criticism, on one forum anywhere on the net for someone googling your company to change their mind about buying from you.

I always google for negative words and a company when sussing them out for the first time.

i'll take payment by paypal, money order, postal order, credit transfer, etc. pretty much everything bar cash. credit cards could be used through paypal, so i think thats enough to keep people happy

i hope to have it simple and professional. since i'll only be dealing with handhelds, it won't have to be on the scale of anything like lik-sang, play etc. but i take your point, it will have to look professional or some people will get the wrong idea. customer service shouldn't be a problem, emails will be replied to swiftly, always within 24hours. an email will be sent to confirm order and another to confirm postage and payment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you do set up this business advertise here. Play, CDwow, sendit and a few others get loads of business from here. There is no reason why we shouldn't shop with an Irish company if the prices are better and delivery is quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So long as you're cheaper + free shipping, then I'd buy from you.

Paypal might turn a few off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would definetly buy if you were cheaper/the same or even slightly dearer as long as the postage was less which I would assume would be the case.
    I do have a few things that I think you may need to think about further.
    Have you any background in setting up a business? Have you thought about what suppliers you are going to use and your purchasing costs? Have you you thought of who is doing to design/host/the site and looked into the costs associated with setting up a secure online store?Have you researched a base from which to run this from and have you the cash to start up? If not-have you put together a business plan for the banks?
    Sorry about the stupid questions,I realise that at the moment you are just checking for interest and market need for such a service but its important to keep all the issues in mind at this stage.
    Kippy

@RobertFoster: why do you think paypal would turn people off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im up for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

deadduck wrote:
    @RobertFoster: why do you think paypal would turn people off?

for starters how does paypal work?

point taken mossy, i'll make sure i've an explanation on the site and a link to paypals registration page

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Taking paypal but not proper direct credit card sales looks unprofessional. Plus paypal takes a hefty cut. I don't know the ins and outs of setting up a proper merchant account and online credit card processing, but it sounds expensive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

glad to see someone is grasping this oppurtunity, was going to myself, this would be great as long as highly anticipated stock will be delivered to your premises fast, example gta lcs, nothing worse than preordering and not getting tilll a few weeks after release, o and support is vital:)
    keep me updated, will this be a reality soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Have you considered the whole 'business' side of the operation? Accounting, tax, continuity of supply, etc. You don't just have to look professional, you have to be professional.

I don't think it's all that easy to set up a merchant account for processing cc transactions. Not with Irish banks anyway!

It sounds like a good idea if you can maintain a good supply of product into the future, but it's not just a matter of getting your hands on some cheap stock. just be careful to think it through. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Alternatively opt for ebay/paypal and hand a big chunk of your profits to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

oh, and nothing illegal, right?

thanks for all the advice people. with 90% positive feedback i'm fairly sure i'm gonna get this off the ground. as for paypal taking a cut of my profits, to be honest, i'm not too pushed. that way i don't have to worry about peoples credit card security, and i don't have the hassle of setting up a merchants a/c. as stephen already said, apparently it's a hassle with irish banks. i know someone who has been running his own successful business for 20 years and he said hed help me on anything i wasn't too sure about. i'll keep the thread going to keep everyone posted. thanks again for the help and keep it coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i look forward to seeing this when it gets going

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

To be honest if a site would only accept Paypal and not credit cards directly I wouldnt use it. Just seems unprofessional.

You'd be surprised how many potential customers won't know, or care to find out, what Paypal is.

If you are a registered company a merchant account isnt too much hassle.

Have a look at http://www.realex.ie/ . They set up merchant accounts (as I understand it) and take care of security and verification etc with regards to credit cards. Not sure of costs.

Best of luck with it.

the beauty of paypal is that an a/c isnt needed to pay by c/c. i understand what your saying. i have shopped on lik-sang and play and their payment systems are very good, very hassle-free. but for a small share of my profits i have a good system, and this in turn helps keeps my prices where i want them i.e. lower than the competitons. maybe in time i could implement a system like you have described. hopefully you'll have a browse anyway cosgrove. thanks for the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

whatever you do dont make it aimed just towards ireland you should offer competitive prices to all the world. By the way would you beat the prices at play.com (brilliant service from the channel islands)?

initially my efforts will be focused on ireland. thats not to say i would turn away orders from abroad, of course not, but i will not be actively marketing for the abroad market. and yes, i will be cheaper than play, cdwow etc. and postage and packaging will be free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

would definitely make a couple of purchases myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

is this going to be a 1 man operation?

online buyers are merciless complainers

you may need a gimmick of some sorts

i have been thinking about some kind of special introductory offer, but haven't settled on anything yet. might not be a great idea from a business idea, my profits aren't gonna be too great to begin with. it ain't gonna be easy to compete with the big boys, and low prices and quick postage and what i'm all about. hopefully it wont be necessary, but i'll decide in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Good luck ducky, low prices and quick postage are like the holy grail of online retailing, even the big boys cant get it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

any idea when this site will be up and running?

Advertisement