Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you stick to your investment targets?

• 15-09-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭

How closely do you stick to your investment targets? Do you set a % or time limit on an equity investment, and then sell when that target has been reached?

A friend of mine in the States with financial planning experience swore by his targets, always selling an equity when it was up XX% or down X%, limiting his risks both upside and down. I find it very hard to contemplate upside targets, downside targets less so (I would often consider selling when down 10%). Over the past year I have been lucky in investing in enquities that have experienced very strong capital appreciation, in particular there was one I sold after 6 months up 87% - I generally only invest in large, well-established companies so this was an extraordainary gain. In the meantime the company issued a profit warning, dropped sharply, I believe in its products and business plan so re-bought and am currently sitting on a 55% gain! Obviously by setting any kind of sensible capital appreciation target, I would have lost out. I wonder does anyone who makes a 300% gain with a high-risk investment actually think beforehand, 'I'll sell once I triple my money'!

I do feel that over the past year I haven't been 100% disciplined in my investing and that this could be very dangerous. I am relatively young and as such am happy with a higher-than-usual level of risk, but also feel the need to 'lock-in' my gains and avoid losses. Anyone else struggle with setting and holding investment targets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I try to be very strict with downside targets. I have a max loss I'm willing to accept and from past experience and advice I've recieved over the years, I try to stick to this.

Upside targets less so. I generally will take another look at the investment and try and decide then. Usually I've a sliding scale there. I take x amount of profits at y gain and so on. Slowly taking more and more profits as the investment climbs. I also move my downside up when I take some profits.

If I've made 15% say, I'll sell half and move my lower stop to 5% and see what happens. At worst I'm getting 7.5%. If it hits 20% then I'd take more profits and move the stop upto 10% and so on.

It's defensive, but limiting your losses is more important in the long run imho. Then again, I learned on the Forex, which tends to be crueler. On less volatile markets then the above might be way too defensive.

Advertisement