Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices coming down

• 15-09-2005 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the price of unleaded fell today.

The garage near me fell from 119.9 to 112.9 today

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

where is near you - they were all still ~120c on my way home tonight!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are right - see www.irishfuelprices.com/unleaded.php - maybe the stations haven't updated their display prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

It is the shell garage on the grand canal between Harolds X and the barn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i payed 114 today for unleaded which was good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yeah ive noticed that a few of my local garages have dropped by about 5cents or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

116.9 for unleaded in MCL Newbridge today.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Shell had a price drop earlier in the week and another one at 00:01 on Friday - my local shell hasn't passed them on yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No great excitment down here yet, I see Tesco are cutting the prices across the water so I await with baited breath.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

a week late no less!!!... but good news for all...have to fill up tomorrow..running low!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

yeah i heard from an oil company employee that fuel is supposed to be down by about nine cent sometime next week. happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

It could be the case that these places are closing up shop and have lower the price to get rid of stock left.

Lets hope not and prices are returning to a sensible level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just my luck.. I fill it last night (at 117.9) in Tesco and today I hear on the radio the prices are coming back down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yes the immediate shortage of refined petrol in north america because of katrina meant 10 of the refineries in the gulf of mexico area were knocked out, meant that several tankers were chartered full of refined petrol from europe to the states, this drove the cost of refined petrol up. that was why the large immediate jump happened.
    now the refineries are back on stream the demand from the states has gone and the wholesale price is down nearly 12 cent a liter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

lomb wrote:
    yes the immediate shortage of refined petrol in north america because of katrina meant 10 of the refineries in the gulf of mexico area were knocked out, meant that several tankers were chartered full of refined petrol from europe to the states, this drove the cost of refined petrol up. that was why the large immediate jump happened.
    now the refineries are back on stream the demand from the states has gone and the wholesale price is down nearly 12 cent a liter :)

Yeah I heard the same somewhere...cant remember....usual US crap! anything happens to them and the whole world suffers! anyway wont have to fill till next week(joys of diesel) so should be back down alot by then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

I am stopping drivin until the price comes back to €1 a litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

fletch wrote:

Best of luck with that!
    :)
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

fletch wrote:

You will be going no where fast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I was surprised to pay 114.9 for unleaded in Carrick on Shannon when I was on my way home from Sligo last Sunday as my local Statoil in Lusk is 122.9.

The most ridiculous scam that I have seen so far is the petrol station (think it's Texaco) beside the Skylon in Drumcondra ==>

135.2 for unleaded &
    125.2 for diesel

All done so that they can catch unsuspecting tourist before they drop their rental cars back at the Airport. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw a 120.9 on my way in this morning. Perhaps that was a freak. Glad now I didn't fill up last night like I was going to.

dcr

Yeah its Texco, i passed it Wednesday evening 127.9 unleaded. I nearly crashed the car when i saw that as i try to top up when i am in Dublin instead of back home in Monaghan. 119.5 in Carrickmacross.

Lets pray itll come back down. Filled the tank Wed Morning €45, a month ago it was €35. What a difference. Those bloody yanks. Nothing but trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Now past caring, and my 25-odd mpg on the MX-5 in gridlocked Dublin is now a thing of the past: I drive 2-wheels all-electric these days, yay! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

mathie wrote:
    Best of luck with that!
    :)
    M
    Thanks! ;) I think I'm going to need it! Using public transport *shivers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can beat that.... there's a station on the N3 between Dublin and Navan that wants 1.28 a litre this morning!! One in Rathoath that's looking for 1.23.. blatent rip-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Apparently on 98fm they have had a campaig going to find expensive stations and boycott them to drive the cost of fuel down. Due to prices and the mayo situation there has been a campaign to boycott Shell and Statoil. The result has been a serious drop in sales for both brands and both have been forced to lower prices. The shell garage I was in today paying 106 for deisel was dead and the chap said it has been like that for the past week.

So there is the objective. Boycott expensive ones and they have two choices. Lower prices or close down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I always drive past expensive garages and buy petrol from the cheapest and have done since i started driving.. if everyone did this as a rule it would promote greater competition and keep prices reasonable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

What I'd really like to know is how stations can differ so much within the same branch. Example, a Maxol garage up near me in Blessington charges 115 for diesel and 122 for petrol. The maxol at KCR charges 109 for diesel and I think 116 for petrol. If this was a Shell to Esso I could understand but the same company charging varying prices is ridiculous.

They are not branches but franchises. So the only similiar is the sign above the door. The franchiser gives the franchisee a recommended retail price for petrol and deisel after that it is up to the propertior on what they charge.

Talking of boycott here's one id like to start. (Not really but would be nice).

Statoil (Cassidys), Dundalk Rd, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan - the price of unleaded is 121.9. They have another garage 1/2 a mile away. Esso, Ardee Rd, Carrickamcross, Co. Monaghan - the price of unleaded is 119.5. Why the difference, exact same person owns both stations.

Yet the expensive one seems to be busier than the cheap one - are people mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kluivert wrote:
    Yet the expensive one seems to be busier than the cheap one - are people mad.

nope, the pricing is based on a curve depending what the take up is. so the dearer station has higher foot or car fall and is in a better location or is just nicer.. essentially they keep increasing the price till the custom drops off. its all on a curve and there is an optimum point to price at. thats why the quiet one is cheap, if it was dear it would be even quieter, must b on a quiet road or else b old. people like new machines and buildings and sandwich delis etc these days in their petrol station and these nice stations are always the busiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The now infamous filling station in Limerick that was charging 137.9 a litre last week has taken down the prices from their display sign.

Obviously they didn't like the reviews they were getting from media.

Apparently there were quite a few people (some media) taking photos of the prices on the display sign but nobody was buying petrol from them, rightly so.

Not sure what they are charging now but more than likely it is still too expensive and will not be venturing in to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Mac 3

That infamous filling station is not selling petrol anymore...

Advertisement