Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

palmOne Treo 600 + Meteor GPRS

• 15-09-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey, i've been trying to set up gprs on my palmOne Treo 600 for the last day or so, i have all the settings right and i rang meteor to verify this, but it was difficult enough just getting a username and password out of them since they dont support this handset.
    The problem is that if i put in all the settings and leave the ip as automatic, i can establish a connection but when i try to access any webpages i simply get a "The page you requested cannot be displayed....." error
    But if i specify the ip (10.085.085.085) then it doesnt connect at all and gives the following error while trying to connect: "GPRS connection not available. Check your Network Preferences and/or try again later. (0x7143)"

Anyone have any experience with this or a solution?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks

Edit: I've just checked the same sim card in a Nokia 6510 and gprs worked fine, so it's not my account anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

FWIW
    I don't use a Palm. I have a iPAQ and use it with a Sony Erricsson T610
    I use *99# as "dialup" number on Meteor GPRS
    with the extra dial-string modem command
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.mymeteor.ie"
    The set up almost broke my heart but I did get there in the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, from this thread Irish Operator Settings

Meteor ISP (Internet not WAP) GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection

If you are having trouble with receiving DNS, then manually enter the DNS servers:

The IP address 10.85.85.85 is the Meteor WAP Gateway and should not be used when configuring the ISP (Internet) GPRS connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

thanks for both your replies.

cb750: its not a dialup connection im trying to establish, just an ordinary wap/gprs connection

dubwireless:yea, i checked out that thread alright,but the isp settings are not what i need, just plain old vanilla wap gprs,i tried those settings a couple of times anyway just to be sure,same thing happens as with gprs.

thank you both,guess this requires further research, still open to suggestions though.

oh yea, one more thing, its definately not the handset, my brother used it for several months on different networks around the world, and never had a problem with gprs.

hi, if you wanted to use mobile Web, Email and other internet services available an ISP connection would be the most appropriate for that kind of device...

for WAP only then you'd need to configure a connection for the WAP Access Point (APN). then in the Blazer Browser try and set up the proxy details to refer to the Meteor WAP Gateway and give that a shot...

well an isp connection isnt an option for me since im on a prepay connection anyway. tried the wap connection with the proxy set in the browser and now the browser actually seems to be doing something, whereas before it just appeared to be frozen. unfortunately i now get a Timeout error.
    The settings im currently using are:

user:my
    pass:wap
    apn:wap.mymeteor.ie
    ip:automatic
    dns:automatic
    proxy:10.85.85.85, port:9201

i can get a connection fine with this but, like i said, it times out when i try to access any pages.

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote:
    well an isp connection isnt an option for me since im on a prepay connection anyway

how come? Meteor offer their ISP GPRS connection to pre-paid and post-paid customers

wasnt aware of that, thought it was only available to post-pay customers.

is there any major difference between an isp connection and a standard gprs connection, im assuming its more expensive?

an 'isp connection' is a standard GPRS connection - it is just an alternative way to connect instead of through a WAP gateway... it would for instance, in addition to browsing, allow you to use the POP/SMTP email functionality of the device if you needed it...

details of Meteors GPRS charges for WAP and Internet are available on their site here:
    http://www.meteor.ie/services/wap.html

excellent, thanks, might give them a ring and get it activated on my account then.

Advertisement