Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ramadan

• 15-09-2005 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

with ramadan loomin I was wondering if you guys would like to meet for fotoor at some point during ramadan ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Are you a muslim?
    Where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I am sorry if this is off topic but i recently started learning Arabic can you point me in the right direction for advice etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

Are you a muslim?
    Where are you from?

you keep asking that. read the roll call. :D
    Dfitzer wrote:
    I am sorry if this is off topic but i recently started learning Arabic can you point me in the right direction for advice etc

The best way if you want to learn to read; is to start by reading the papers.
    www.sahafa.com and click on the daily, weekly and monthly sections. It's the best way because you will learn the modern arabic dialects and have access to different styles of arabic wiritng from different countries.

Learn the alphabet dfitzer.
    It'll hard at first.
    If you speak urdu it'll be even harder.
    But everything is possible

What time do you brothers get up at in the morning? (To pray)

• Advertisement

The saudia arabian islamic organizations have decided that it is ramdan tomorrow.

good luck to everyone !

good luck r3boot, hope you studied a lot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its been 3 hours and I am already thristy. Its gonna be a longgggggg month!

no smoking no music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Osman

Salaam,

In my area we start fasting tomorrow. Silly, I know. I can't wait!

May Allah help us all so we may take full advantage of this blessed month. :)

Peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Today was the first day of ramadan, GREAT I really love it.
    I did fast few days before as it's important to do so, the Prophet (PBUH) did that so we should do the same.
    it wasn't hard today although I had a cold :S
    don't forget to start few things in now guys...

1. Make sure you pray the Taraweeh and Qiyam after the eshaa prayer.
    2. Start to read the Quraan and establish a fomrat to finnish it before the last 10 days of ramadan.
    3. Don't miss the Morning prayer, make sure to pary it on time, at the moment you can catch it before 7:30 am.

May Allah Accept our prayers and fasting.
    Ramadan Kareem

no smoking no music :)

You can pull off no smoking, but not no music.

There is no clear cut quote from the quran banning music. or relating it to fasting.

if you look at other sources you may have a point. Personally I only follow the quran and some of the more accurate hadith.

You guys still want to meet up sometime ?

Salaam,

The most comprehensive book I've seen on music is this:

http://members.tripod.com/oum_abdulaziz/music.html

A believer hears and obeys.

I've also began fasting today and I intend to finish reading the holy Qur'an in this blessed month InshaAllah (God-willing).

May Allah help his believers to strive in the cause of Allah. My brothers, this is Jihad. Striving in the cause of Allah. We should tell that to those so-called 'muslims' who go trying to bomb the world into peace.

Peace,

Osman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Osman wrote:
    Salaam,

The most comprehensive book I've seen on music is this:

http://members.tripod.com/oum_abdulaziz/music.html

Hmm its a Tripod site, so its not even worth the hard drive space it takes up. I don't see Tripod sites as being a trust worthy source for anything. Maybe a Wikipedia entry or a more trusted site, but not this.

The site does not mention any of the orginal quraan only one of the current english transilations.

It would be more convinving if you could get me a sight with arabic quates that specifically relate to the banning of music.

Also fasting is not technically classed as jihad in any way; it is a farth and wajib that has to be done by all muslims everywhere unless it is a risk to you health such as if somebody gets a hypoglyceamic attack or is a diabetic.

Well a freind of is a son of the religious minister in Pakistan, '' no music during ramadan'' ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I never heard anything about no music in ramadan!

the only thing scholars maight state on music is that it takes your mind of mentioning God.(Athkar)
    I love music, i play guitar and listen to Rock and Heavy Metal.

To me everything has a time, Ramadan is a month of worship.

Before 1 hour of Al Eftar (Breaking your fast, which is at sunset. today at 6:56 pm) we should be saying (Athkar) until the calling for the Maghrib (Sunset) comes. it is good to so but some people don't and that's their decision.
    the Prohpet (PBUH) always asked us to do the same, saying the (Athkar) in their time.

No obligation in Islam.

Note:

Athkar: means to mention and prise God's Name, normally it we should do this when we wake up, eat, pray, wash and before we sleep.

oh forgot to mention something,
    there is a prayer time calendar/poster made for ramdan available from the ICC available in all mosques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

r3boot wrote:
    oh forgot to mention something,
    there is a prayer time calendar/poster made for ramdan available from the ICC available in all mosques.

Naveed also posted this I believe. I have set it to a sticky on the forum.

Peace,

wes wrote:
    Hmm its a Tripod site, so its not even worth the hard drive space it takes up. I don't see Tripod sites as being a trust worthy source for anything. Maybe a Wikipedia entry or a more trusted site, but not this.

Surely it's the content that matters? The fact that it is hosted on tripod doesn't mean we disregard the information. If you've read it, at least some of it, then maybe you could state what you disagree with.

r3boot wrote:
    The site does not mention any of the orginal quraan only one of the current english transilations.

The English translation is translated from the original Qur'an. It also gives transliteration of the relevant parts of the verses and analyzes them. I don't think I understand what you're saying. Care to elucidate?

r3boot wrote:
    It would be more convinving if you could get me a sight with arabic quates that specifically relate to the banning of music.

Why is this site not convincing? If you want the original quotes in arabic on top of the English translation I could do that for you. There is no such verse in the Qur'an which explicitly says Music is prohibited. The majority of the mufassireen (those who write tafsir) have interpreted the verses in question to denote music. As I said before, the site even provides transliteration for the relevant parts. If that isn't enough then there are authentic ahadith of which their Isnad (Chain of narration/authority) relates back to Muhammad (SAWS). For example:

There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments)

Note the word ma'aazif. From the website provided:

COMMENTARY ON AL-BUKHAARI'S HADEETH

The portion of Al-Bukhaari's hadeeth, which is presently of concern, is that segment whose text states:

"There will be a people of my ummah [nation] who will seek to make lawful: fornication, the wearing of silk, wine-drinking and the use of musical instruments..."

The word of consequence here is the Arabic term 'ma'aazif'. In order to discover what it implies, one must turn to Arabic dictionaries of hadeeth terms and other scholarly works. According to Lisaanul Arab,(*62) ma'aazif is the plural of mi'zaf or 'azf,(*63) and indicates objects or instruments of play or leisure which are beat upon for their sound. If the singular form is used (mi'zaf), it specifically means a type of large wooden drum used mainly by the people of Yemen. The noun 'azf also stands for the act of playing with ma'aazif, i.e. hand drums (dufoof)(*64) or other instruments which are struck upon. Al-Jowhari, the author of the ancient dictionary, As-Sihaah, asserts that ma'aazif signifies musical instruments, al-'aazif indicates one who sings, and the 'azf of the wind is its voice.(*65) In the famous Taajul 'Aroos min Jawaahiril Qaaamoos, besides quoting the above-mentioned meanings, the commentator Az-Zabeedi says that ma'aazif are instruments of leisure which are drummed upon or played, like the lute ('ood), the drum (tanboor), the small hand drum (daff) or other such musical objects.(*66) And finally, in the famous dictionary, An-Nihaayah fee Ghareebil Hadeeth,(*67) Ibnul-Atheer mentions the meaning of ma'aazif as it is used in various hadeeths. He comments, "By 'azf is meant playing with ma'aazif, consisting of dufoof [hand drums] or other instruments which are beat upon." He also mentions the derived noun form, 'azeef, which means "sound" or voice", while 'azeeful jinn signifies the ringing of the jinns' voices. It is said that the people of the desert imagined the shrill ringing of the winds in the desert air to be the voice of jinns.(*68)

The commentaries of the scholars of hadeeth also agree on the above-quoted meaninings for the term maazif mentioned in Al-Bukhaari's narration. In Ibn Hajar's exhaustive commentary of Saheehul Bukhaari,(*69) he adds that an earlier hadeeth scholar, named Ad-Dimyaati, says that the word 'azf is also used to describe singing (ghinaa).(*70)

Such a detailed analysis of the meaning of the term ma'aazif, as mentioned in the most authoritative dictionaries of the Arabic language, is necessary to refute any others' possible attempts to "explain away" or "interpret" it in a matter suiting their preconceived notions or opinions. It clearly has been established that the word ma'aazif - according to correct Arabic usage - indicates a specific number of things: (a) musical instruments, (b) the sounds of those musical instruments (music) and (c) singing to instrumental accompaniment.

r3boot wrote:
    Also fasting is not technically classed as jihad in any way; it is a farth and wajib that has to be done by all muslims everywhere unless it is a risk to you health such as if somebody gets a hypoglyceamic attack or is a diabetic.

Understood. But it can be classed as Jihad by definition if we take it's literal meaning?

Regards,

Osman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The fact that it is hosted on tripod doesn't mean we disregard the information.

Tripod is a free website. Basically anyone can create a website and like geocities. This means the noise ratio is high and most of what is posted should be taken with a grain of salt (although you really should do with all sites).

Also I have sent you a private message on this before but do not Cut+Paste other websites. Link to the website and use a quote (which is normally a couple of lines).

Peace,
    Hobbes wrote:
    Tripod is a free website. Basically anyone can create a website and like geocities. This means the noise ratio is high and most of what is posted should be taken with a grain of salt (although you really should do with all sites).

Right, I understand now. But this website does use it's evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah.
    Hobbes wrote:
    Also I have sent you a private message on this before but do not Cut+Paste other websites. Link to the website and use a quote (which is normally a couple of lines).

Apologies, I will note that for future reference. :)

Regards,

Osman

Advertisement