Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Good Anime Reccomendations

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Nirina wrote:
    "Spirited Away"
    :confused:
    I actually cant believe it toke that long for it to be meantioned
    .Spirited away rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

im...LOST wrote:
    :confused:
    I actually cant believe it toke that long for it to be meantioned
    .Spirited away rules

Well the OP did request *new* anime. So people tended to concentrate on active fansubbing and new DVD releases.

Been personally playing a bit of catchup, and concentrating my effort on a couple of series, rather than watching a mix of stuff.

DVD wise Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu is out. Still just as funny as when I caught it on fansub. I should really pay a bit of attention to the next episode previews too, which I normally ignore.

Haibane Renmai is now totally out on DVD here after a long wait, and Pom Poko & Porco Rosso are out too.

i haven't heard much from the 2006 season just started, but its probably too early to tell anyway.

Theres also been a bunch of stuff that finished recently (on fansub) or is just about to.

Zettai Shonen, which I have been meaning to revisit, now that I have actually started to complete series again. Suzuka seems to have floated a lot of peoples boats judging by tracker stats. Monster is nearly complete now, with Soldats & Kraze racing each other for the final ep.

I have been in touch with a fansubber that is likely to pick up Windy Tales too. Not new by any standards, but criminally unfansubbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The new series of Guyver is bloody fantastic in my opinion. Note I'm new to the whole Anime/Manga scene and was always kind skeptical of it however I was very much :eek: after watching it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Finished watching Berserk not so long ago... it's not all that new, but it's a damn fine series.
    Basilisk is rather good as well...

both are relatively short series (24-26 eps), so should be easy enough to get through.

and the Hellsing OAV is shaping up nicely. can't wait for the second episode of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yeah, Berserk is a definite must see. It was in my top 5 for a good while, although it's not for the 'no gore' crowd. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I really liked

"Spirited Away"

and

"Howl's Moving Castle"

and

"Valley of the Winds"

They are all kids cartoons ... but they rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Fair few good ones I see mentioned, Eureka 7, Elfen Lied, Monster, Mushishi, Noein, to name a few, some other ones I'd recommend :

Fantastic Children:
    A group of mysterious white-haired children has been spotted at different times and places in Europe for over 500 years. Always with the looks of 11 years old, they behave way more mature than they should be, never grow, and seem to have supernatural power. What they have kept being after is a girl, and all the connection they have is a picture with a crescent moon. Now, in the year of 2012, an athletic boy named Tohma is about to be involved in this centuries-long mystery.
    (Taken from AnimeNewsNetwork).
    Fansubbing by :
    http://www.mahou.org/

Project ARMS:
    A boy gets involved in an accident when in kindergarden, horrible damaging his arm, but the doctors somehow manages to save it. Now, several years laters, his arm seems to become the focus of strange events as it turns out to be more then a normal arm and a secret organizations is out to get hold of him and the power he possess.
    (Taken from anidb)
    http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=126847

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eeeper

My list is in no way shape complete, remember anime isn't just a job it's an adventure!

High brow - Evangelion (series+movies[ire]), Rahxephon[ire], Divergence Eve, Gantz, Gilgamesh, Gankutzou( Count of monte cristo), Akira[ire], Ghost In The Shell(Movies+stand alone complex series 1&2)[ire] , absolutely anything directed/written by Miyazaki,Rintaro & Otomo, Ah!My Goddess(OVA+TV),Appleseed 2005{IRE}(You have to own this),Chobits.

Mid brow - Project A-ko, Love Hina, Please Teacher, Fafner, World of Narue, Animation Runner Kuromi, Cardcaptor Sakura(Uncut) , Yugi Oh(Uncut), Chrono Crusade, Full Metal Alchemist [Ire], Full Metal panic/Fumofu!, Stellvia, Planetes, Robotech/Macross, Anything by Matsumoto, X(Movie+TV) Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, anything by Kawajiri,Burst Angel, IGPX, Eureka 7, Gun X Sword,street fighter 2:the movie(not the van damme version,please for the love of god no!)

Low Brow(no brain) - Excel Saga, Cromortie High(bizarre), Haré + Guu, Vampire Hunter D 1st movie, FLCL, Earth Defense Prefectural Force.

Like I said it's just a short list(!) but it's a good reflection of what I've seen/own so far.
    On a side note I have a weakness to, as well as Kryptonite, any anime adaption of CLAMP no matter how girlie it is. they are genius storytellers. Period.

Anybody else got stuff to add?

P.S. anything with [ire] is available here to but but you might want to order from the states. your yo-yo's will go further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CyTai

Recently I picked up a few anime collection and they are fantastic:

The King of Braves (GaoGaiGar)

Get Backers

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror Of Shamballa

The Prince of Tennis

EREMENTAR GERAD

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

kyub wrote:
    Yeah, Berserk is a definite must see. It was in my top 5 for a good while, although it's not for the 'no gore' crowd. ;)

Yea i just started getting into Berserk myself and would definitely recommend anyone giving it a watch. The violence is alot more rougher then your average anime - More ripping out guts than images of blood splattered on white Japanese plum trees.

• Advertisement

Ah, I forgot to mention these as well.

They are worth to see.

1.Yakitate Japan

2.Aquarion

3. Shin Angyo Onshi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

CyTai wrote:
    Recently

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror Of Shamballa

I got the Fullmetal Alchemist movie in from cdjapan on monday. Haven't watched it yet but the boxset is something else.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZB-2001&ref=myp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Alchemists fighting Nazis in rocket ships is a good thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gohan

Ghost in the Shell 15's
    Akira 15's
    gundam wing
    Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball /Dragon Ball gt
    Final Fantasy 7 avent of chidren Final Fantasy 7 last oder
    and there Final Fantasy series anime
    bleach
    one pice
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    blood go to www.bleachportal.net/
    www.narutofob.com/index.php?m=single&id=272 - 54k -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HisInfernalEmo

i recommend .hack//SIGN or Wolf's Rain.Both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

If you're looking for something new Disgaea just started recently (2 eps aired) If you played and liked the game you'l probably like this, or if your just want a laugh.

Dunno if eureka7 would be considered new but it's another great, as is samurai champloo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

There's been far too much Inital D bashing in this thread for my liking.

i recommend .hack//SIGN or Wolf's Rain.Both excellent.

Actually I would go for Hack//Root- the 2nd version of the game but still have some connection to the Hack//Sign.

Samurai 7- quite intense and thrilling story.

Another one is Jin-Roh (I know it's VERYold), have not watch it yet but since the creator were 'Akira' and 'Ghost in the Shell'. You got to give some credit to this movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Yeah I'm checking out Roots also, loved the other series and books.

Just started to get into Ranma 1/2 and I must say Im loving it :) Hopeing the anime is as good!

Here are some anime, I'm looking at the moment:

Tokko (creator of GTO), WitchBlade (yes, it was the American comic of Top Cow! Yeppe!!) and Tales of Phantasia (a short anime, only 4 esp. but very nice)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

I've liked what I've read about Karas so far. Ordered it the other day so I'll post my thoughts on it next week.

Getting back into Generator Gawl & the newest remasters of Robotech as well....although Dana Sterling is one really annoying character

KARAS is excellent. Really outstanding fusion of 2D and 3D work. Some of the best action sequences I have seen in ages too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Spoderman wrote:
    Getting back into Generator Gawl & the newest remasters of Robotech as well....although Dana Sterling is one really annoying character

Is robotech any good?

I've seen it mentioned here and there on different forums but no one has said if its the fo shizzle or poo on a stick :rolleyes:

Robotech is edited, cut, rescripted anime. That said the source material Macross is actually really good, though I haven't seen the Robotech edit, I dont think they messed with the story too much to compromise its quality.

However the animation is quite dated now, but the story and characters are still compelling.

Macross shares a lot of ideas with Gundam and its contemporaries. For instance the central plot driver of a lone ship, piloted mainly by civilians, being pursued through space by a massive fleet of enemies, teh odds heavily stacked against them.

That said, Macross doesn't have any of the suspension of disbelief issues that
    Gundam has; while the crew of the Macross is mostly rescued civilians, they
    are the civilian scientists and technicians that originally restored it, so its no
    stretch to think that they can operate it. Also the mecha pilots are exclusively
    adults, pilots themselves, no 15 yo's who speed read the flight manual. The main character isnt even the best pilot.

The cheese content though can be high. Certainly the tunes are pure early 80s
    twee pop. Considering that enemy is psychologically unprepared for culture, and the humans exploit it as a weapon to disrupt them, it ends up being a bit cheesy that that its idol pop and not a mix of stuff.

Though Macross is great. It might be a better idea to consider sourcing ADVs Macross releases which are redubbed and have the cut footage restored. But I can understand if cost is a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I think Fullmetal Alchemist was brilliant. The film was good too but didn't end the story way I, personally, would have liked it to (that's nothing against the film, though). The series goes from funny, cutsey parts (suitable for all audiences)... to being really dark in places (less so!).

Someone mentioned Ramna 1/2... it's great at the start, but from there begins a slow, downward spiral (like Leslie Nielsen's career, in ways).

I haven't watched Naruto since ep. 134 since I'm told it's been all 'story arc' since then.

Great Teacher Onizuka seems interesting so I'm going to have to check that out at some point.

I'm getting Jubei Chan The Ninja Girl soon. Dunno anything about it but someone likened it to Dragonhalf... which is good enough for me. Dragonhalf is mad as a spoon but not in the annoying way I find some other 'mad' anime (such as The Ultimate Teacher OAV). Incidentally, it is one of those rare animes that's actually funnier dubbed than subbed in case someone's watching it for th first time. Only 2 episodes long, unfortunately. They're available on the 1 DVD of course.

I think Hellsing is pretty awful to be honest... cool character, though! I was hopng Initial D would be good (with its ever-sidways, powersliding cars)... but it's depressingly average.

P.s. Please try to avoid spoilers (without warning) when posting, people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Yeah if you read the hellsing manga you see how terrible the animé show was but there is hope the new Hellsing Ultimate seems to fix all that as it sticks closer to the manga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RikkusLover7

Um I guess Naruto is good but well know, try Flame of Recca and Mar bot by the same person. There really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fear_the_spoon!

I like Shaman King on TV and Shinzo but there on a 3am so it kind of sucks. Witch Hunter Robin and Inuyasha are brilliant and must be seen, but Fushigi Yugi it good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Yufster

yaaay fushigi yuugi!

Anything by Miyazaki is amazing... I liked Watase Yuu's stuff too, like Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres... Also Ranma 1/2 is hilarious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement