Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB - Changing address

• 15-09-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I'm about to commit to Eircom BB. Only problem is i think we'll be moving in about 6 months.Does anyone know if its possible to transfer your broadband to a new location? Have read the terms and conditions and they only say if you cancel you could be liable to pay out whats left of your 12 months.
    Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wonderboy wrote:
    I'm about to commit to Eircom BB. Only problem is i think we'll be moving in about 6 months.Does anyone know if its possible to transfer your broadband to a new location? Have read the terms and conditions and they only say if you cancel you could be liable to pay out whats left of your 12 months.
    Has anyone any experience of this?

If you are going to move in six months then the best option is to seek out an isp that will give you a six months contract. If you cancel before a contract is up then you will be liable for the outstanding balance its as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IOL's contract is 6 months minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I believe Eircom now offers a minimum of 6 month contract on their packages.

I cancelled my 12 month contract with Eircom after 7 months (moved to Smart) and didn't get charged for the remaining 5 months :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

eth0_ wrote:

But would you want even your worst enemy to be exposed to the vagaries of Esats billing department? :)

How come you never recommend UTV anymore? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

eth0_ wrote:
    would tht mean if i was a BT customer since 2003 would I be able to switch ISP straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hey Jakk,

Yes that is correct, although I had a few strong words with some BT people yesterday. They charge you 2 months in advance with no refund.

What that means is, if you are charge 2 months today and cancell tomorrow, you loose that 2 months worth of money. Best to wait until near the end of the billing period before cancelling.

RangeR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭masteire

this is a letter i drafted yesterday about broadband.
    Eircom are a joke

Dear Sir
    Having spoke with a member of Eircom “Customer Service” today she informed me that I write to you to request a copy of all communication I have had with Eircom over the past 7 weeks. I understand that you are the Data Protection Manager and I am wasting my time drafting you all of my complaints but due to the total incompetence of the number of staff I have spoken with in the past 7 weeks I feel a need to vent this frustration on paper.

It was July 29th when I first spoke with Eircom regarding a change of address from 1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I was informed by someone that I would have to wait a week before my broadband line could be tested (My mistake but I thought this might be classified as an order) A week later I phoned to ask if I could get my line tested to see if it was suitable for broadband – This was when I was told that no Broadband had been ordered. 1 week wasted!

That afternoon I phoned 1901 to see if I could get anywhere with Eircom as “Eircom Broadband” seemed not to know anything about any orders – Here I spoke to a “manager” called xxxxxxxxxxx, whom I understand doesn’t even exist! (At least another 2 hours wasted to find this out) Anyhow he informed me I was a very good customer and explained that I would have my broadband order GUARANTEED within 10 working days.

9 working days later – August 18th I phoned thinking only 2 more working days to go and no calls from Eircom – Maybe I should call them – I’d hate for them to call out and not be here. So I phoned to be told I had never placed an order – Circles seemed to have been travelled around in 3 weeks and I was going nowhere!!

That day or the day after I can’t remember which I called a very nice polite lady called xxxxxxxxr based in Shannon offices (1901) that I had spoken previously to. I reminded her of my conversations with her from the previous week and she said she would look into it and asked me to hold – saying “this could take a while” I didn’t mind holding after all it’s a free number and I was stuck in traffic – From memory I was on hold for over 45 minutes when she came back on the line to tell me Broadband didn’t seem to have an order from me but she would get her manager xxxxxxxxxxxx to look after it and call me back the nest day

The next day I had to call her as she hadn’t called before 12pm as promised only to find out she could not yet get any information.

At this stage I called Customer Service to make a complaint and spoke with xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) who PROMISED me I would have broadband within 5 days Order No xxxxxxxx
    I thought I have it solved I’m a happy man with an order No: 5 days – I can wait, no problem.
    5 days later – Guess what – No broadband.

So I call my friend xxxxxxxx who tells me not only that I would have to wait the standard 10 days but there was an official complaint made by me and someone would have to call me within 10 days of the complaint to find out exactly what my complaint was.

Believe it or not this is the short version of the story – I have every call I made logged on my PC and I would be very much obliged if under the companies data protection act I could receive a copy of all you logs.

Just for the record I realise you are not in the complaints section but please pass this letter on to whom ever it concerns.

Also it was 14 days when I got my call back from your complaints department.

My broadband was also instated last Monday week : It took for me to ring your company to find this out last Friday – Therefore I had it for 4 days and didn’t even know it- Thanks for the courtesy call.

Yours

Advertisement