Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you recognise this clown...

• 15-09-2005 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

He hit the railway bridge at Custom House Quay this evening. All trains between Connolly and Tara were delayed until Irish Rail inspected his handy work.

bridge.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

let me guess....he was travelling too fast and hit a pothole or a bump and hey presto??

typical!!

where did ye get the pic? camera phone or did you have your camera to hand? nice pic!!

well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

what a muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

laoisfan wrote:

let me guess....he was travelling too fast and hit a pothole or a bump and hey presto??

I won't even give him the pothole excuse, the top of his load was about eight inches above the maximum height. I took the picture with my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Is that car breaking the lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But meh truck doesn't exceed 4.73m / 15' 7"

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/about_us/bridge_heights.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

What these headcases don't realise is there is a real and significant danger to passengers

There was a fatal accident in Gorey 31/12/1975 where a truck hit and dislodged a bridge, morning Rosslare train derailed and piled into itself, 5 died. The bridge had only move a few inches

Driver should be done for dangerous driving, failure to obseve traffic signs (as in the height limit) wonder if someone could try a attempted manslaughter charge citing the accident I described as evidence that lives are put at danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't think there is such a thing as attempted manslaughter - if you are trying to kill someone it is attempted murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

those are feed mixers and there was a ten minute bit about them on young entropeneurs of ireland last week, maybe this is new form of trendy guriella advertising, crash into a bridge etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Driver should be done for dangerous driving, failure to obseve traffic signs (as in the height limit) wonder if someone could try a attempted manslaughter charge citing the accident I described as evidence that lives are put at danger
    It would be nearer to reckless endangerment in a case like this.

In the event of an accident, it would probably be dangerous driving causing death here or negligent homicide in other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Regardless of the language used people who crash into low bridges need to bne punished severely. The East Wall bridge got hit so often it had to be replaced completely at massive expense

IE should be able to provide the total delay minutes count for an incident multipy that by the number of passenges involved gives you a nice but brief number of days in mountjoy. Its only a matter of time before a bridge collapses or a train derails and given that a rush hour train can carry in excess of 1400 people its time these cowboys got a stern lesson before an accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

It doesn't excuse the driver's error, but there's something funny about that height restriction sign. For years, restricted headroom was indicated by a round white sign with red border with the headroom printed in it and arrowheads above and below illustrating the gap.

The one in the picture is more or less what I've described, but with a line through it. What's the story?

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is it not a case that East Wall bridge was too low for the area it was located in and it would have be raised in any case. BTW even though it is a 5 m clearance they is still a considerably lower height restriction. Any reason why?

In regard to the above incident, the driver is not necessarily responsible for the height of the load. He is responsible to get some sort of document that states the weight and head height from the shipper. I can actually hazard a guess that the shipper used the "brochure height" of the unit which is probably the height when hitched to a tractor and not when its parked as on the trailer or its the height without the cover thing.

I think it would be ridiculous to suggest that the driver should be charged with manslaughter, attempted murder yada yada. Jeez, these days you get a slap on the wrist after mowing down somebody while driving drunk so why give him time for hitting a silly old bridge and derailing a few Darts? Myabe community service if the body count was over 100. If he has a piece of paper saying it is within the height range and informed the authorities immediately of the incident he has discharged his duties responsibly. Then again maybe he was busy eating his yorkie and forgot that he was towing giant muck spreaders.

Advertisement