Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

liverpool v chelsea

• 15-09-2005 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Any heads going over for the game on the 28th? just wonderin is there many irish goin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The crowd will be 3% Irish ;)
    Thanks4theFish will most likely be there plus there's another thread already with someone organising a trip over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

yeah i'll probably be there too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yep , I'ma goin ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I will be there, if any boardsie heads would like to meet for a beer beforehand, whack down time and I will see ye at the Salisbury.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Got my tickets today for the paddock .. :D Cant wait !!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Is it just me, or is there a tri-colour at every major televised event? Especially 'pool matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There is a huge Irish following of Liverpool and alot of teams in England. There's very rarely a match without a tricolour.

Back to topic............

I wont be going to the match but i wish i was, It has the potential to be great match and i dont think we will lose (Liverpool). It also has the potential to be very boring with the two best defences in the premiership coming together too but hopfully not, My prediction......we will win by one goal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any of you lot hanging round for the league game on the sunday? Thats the one I'm going to (wouldnt have been able to raise the cash for both).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What do people think about writing things on the tricolor.

ie. Chelsea or Murphys Pub etc.

I personally dont agree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I suppose they would get a few free pints for their efforts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

It's illegal as far as I know.
    I'm sure I remember Guinness getting a ticking off for printing stuff on the tricolour for the last World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sorry but you wouldn't get me travelling over even if I was a Chelsea or Liverpool fan. This game has by far the most potential to be the single biggest boring 0-0 draw in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Lemlin wrote:
    Sorry but you wouldn't get me travelling over even if I was a Chelsea or Liverpool fan. This game has by far the most potential to be the single biggest boring 0-0 draw in the league!

I think it has all the makings of a classic match after the games last year.

2-1 to Chelsea with Duff getting the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

Of course, being a toffee I want liverpool to lose. However, I am getting anoyed with Chelsea. I wish teams would stop playing one up front against them, if Liverpool go in with Cisse and Morientes(if fit) then Terry and Gallas might **** themselves. They haven't really had a pacy forward to deal with since E'to in the champions league.

I think it has all the makings of a classic match after the games last year.

2-1 to Chelsea with Duff getting the winner.

I'll believe it when I see it!

Of course, being a toffee I want liverpool to lose. However, I am getting anoyed with Chelsea. I wish teams would stop playing one up front against them, if Liverpool go in with Cisse and Morientes(if fit) then Terry and Gallas might **** themselves. They haven't really had a pacy forward to deal with since E'to in the champions league.

Liverpool will go with Crouch up front on his own like they did against United.

Lemlin wrote:

1) I am not travelling over.
    2) I don't care if it is boring as long as we win.
    3) If you were any kind of fan of your team you would take the chance to see them play whenever you could, regardless of how you thought it would go. Now I can see why you said you were sorry.

Champions of Europe v Champions of PL, not a bad billing for me.

BTW will be in the Salisbury about 6:30 if anybody is around.

1) I am not travelling over.
    2) I don't care if it is boring as long as we win.
    3) If you were any kind of fan of your team you would take the chance to see them play whenever you could, regardless of how you thought it would go. Now I can see why you said you were sorry.

Champions of Europe v Champions of PL, not a bad billing for me.

Sadly, I'm a student with feck all cash so the chances of me going to see Blackburn in the next year are slim to none.

If I was going to go and see them, I'd go and see them in a match that I thought would be entertaining, not one that had the potential to be unbelievably boring.

Every match that is played has the potential to be boring.

The reason I am not travelling over is that I am an hours drive from Anfield, so there is no need to travel..

Liverpool v Chelsea - I predict three goals at least.

Every match that is played has the potential to be boring.

Yes, but matches between two teams who like to play defensively have far more potential of being boring. Chelsea and Liverpool are both teams who tend to play defensive football against tough opposition.

Liverpool v Chelsea - I predict three goals at least.

I predict none or one. If there is one, it'll be a Chelsea win, 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Yes, but matches between two teams who like to play defensively have far more potential of being boring. Chelsea and Liverpool are both teams who tend to play defensive football against tough opposition.

Milan v Juve in the champions lge final a couple of years ago was 0-0 and widely regarded as one of the most entertaining matches in the last few years...two defencive teams, no?

theres an art to football, its not bleedin handball or something. if u need 4 goal thrillers to maintain ur interest then watch some quatar football or something maybe.

personally i think all the liverpool v chelsea games last year were entertaining. liverpool/chelsea is starting to mirror the type of rivalry man u/arsenal had for the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Personally I am looking forward to 2 big games during the week. I dont really mind what the result in the champions league is (a win would do of course, a draw is also a good enough result) but if the pool had the choice of winning one of the games I would much prefer us to get 3 points in the premiership.
    At the moment I see that as more important. I can see Liverpool winning one of the games this week so hopefully they will prove me right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It is true that in games between top teams that are close in capability, entertainment can go down, as such is the nature of football that good defences can come out on top. Most of the top teams these days are striving for very good defences and defending all over the pitch, Chelsea have such a system, and that means that chances and goals can be few. Just because a match is 4-3, it does not make it a match of higher quality than a 1-1, 1-0 or 0-0, and if a viewer is only interested in goals as entertainment, they may as well watch u-8 football where scores of 16-0 are commonplace! I realise that not everyone gets excited about games that are "chess-like" and intriguing, which some of these games can be, but until the rules of soccer are changed to award pts for entertainment in some way, then entertainment is a by-product of the sport, not the be-all and end-all.

Now, having said all that, I think this year Liverpool will do worse against Chelsea. I think Chelsea have improved and Liverpool have gone backwards. If these matches were towards the end of the season, as like in last years CL semi-final or Carling Cup Final, the pace and tempo would be good and players would be up for it. Liverpool did have the beating of Chelsea last year in most of the matches they played, and eventually unpicked them in the CL. This season I'm not confident of similar performances. I can visualise Chelsea winning most of these head-to-heads, 1-0 or 2-0.

As its a CL group stage match, there is no need for either team to kill themselves over this particular match. A draw would probably suit both of them. Likewise, in the league match, a draw is likely. But its up to Benitez and the team how they want to approach these matches. Play comfortably and seek a draw or really go at Chelsea. I think the only way to beat/draw with Chelsea is to really go at them. Play 4-5-1 and in all probability, you will be doomed to a 1-0 or a 2-0 defeat.

Redspider

Milan v Juve in the champions lge final a couple of years ago was 0-0 and widely regarded as one of the most entertaining matches in the last few years...two defencive teams, no?

theres an art to football, its not bleedin handball or something. if u need 4 goal thrillers to maintain ur interest then watch some quatar football or something maybe.

personally i think all the liverpool v chelsea games last year were entertaining. liverpool/chelsea is starting to mirror the type of rivalry man u/arsenal had for the past few years.

Yes, some 0-0 draws can be highly entertaining, most are not though. Just look at the uproar that Liverpool vs. Man Utd caused last week.

And another example that springs to mind, Liverpool vs. Juventus in the second leg last year. Terribly boring. Liverpool knew that they needed a nil all draw and they got that, fair play to them, but it wasn't pretty to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

redspider wrote:
    It is true that in games between top teams that are close in capability, entertainment can go down, as such is the nature of football that good defences can come out on top. Most of the top teams these days are striving for very good defences and defending all over the pitch, Chelsea have such a system, and that means that chances and goals can be few. Just because a match is 4-3, it does not make it a match of higher quality than a 1-1, 1-0 or 0-0, and if a viewer is only interested in goals as entertainment, they may as well watch u-8 football where scores of 16-0 are commonplace! I realise that not everyone gets excited about games that are "chess-like" and intriguing, which some of these games can be, but until the rules of soccer are changed to award pts for entertainment in some way, then entertainment is a by-product of the sport, not the be-all and end-all.

Now, having said all that, I think this year Liverpool will do worse against Chelsea. I think Chelsea have improved and Liverpool have gone backwards. If these matches were towards the end of the season, as like in last years CL semi-final or Carling Cup Final, the pace and tempo would be good and players would be up for it. Liverpool did have the beating of Chelsea last year in most of the matches they played, and eventually unpicked them in the CL. This season I'm not confident of similar performances. I can visualise Chelsea winning most of these head-to-heads, 1-0 or 2-0.

As its a CL group stage match, there is no need for either team to kill themselves over this particular match. A draw would probably suit both of them. Likewise, in the league match, a draw is likely. But its up to Benitez and the team how they want to approach these matches. Play comfortably and seek a draw or really go at Chelsea. I think the only way to beat/draw with Chelsea is to really go at them. Play 4-5-1 and in all probability, you will be doomed to a 1-0 or a 2-0 defeat.

Redspider

I agree about the CL match - i think that both would be happy with a draw (which I think will be the result). As for Sunday, CFC are on a great run at moment and as I think liverpool will more likley go for it in the league match I think CFC will win or at worst draw.

I'd agree with you on Chelsea strengthening their squad. I always thought that Gudjohnsen was their weak link last season - especially after he missed that sitter in the dying moments against Liverpool in the semi.

This year they've got Essien who will fill that position so I think they're a much better unit. As well as Essien, they've Del Horno now, meaning that Gallas can play central defence and they have Carvalho to cover any injuries/suspensions in defence.

The one area I'd worry about for Chelsea is right back. I think Glen Johnson is hugely overrated and is not adequate cover for Ferreira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

redspider wrote:
    Liverpool did have the beating of Chelsea last year in most of the matches they played, and eventually unpicked them in the CL.

They robbed Chelsea last year in the champions league. They matched Chelsea on the pitch but Chelsea had some injuries. It wasn't a goal and Mourinho won't let his players forget it.

As for this year, I believe that Chelsea are a much better team then last seaons and don't have the same injury problems . They will also have 7 players on the bench who can come on and influence the game.

Del Horno may be back for this game too.
    Lemlin wrote:
    The one area I'd worry about for Chelsea is right back. I think Glen Johnson is hugely overrated and is not adequate cover for Ferreira.

Couldn't agree with you more. Johnson was nothing but a very good prospect but it hasn't panned out for him. He just isn't the quality that Chelsea have everywhere else.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

evilhomer wrote:
    They robbed Chelsea last year in the champions league. They matched Chelsea on the pitch but Chelsea had some injuries. It wasn't a goal and Mourinho won't let his players forget it.

As for this year, I believe that Chelsea are a much better team then last seaons and don't have the same injury problems . They will also have 7 players on the bench who can come on and influence the game.

Del Horno may be back for this game too.

Couldn't agree with you more. Johnson was nothing but a very good prospect but it hasn't panned out for him. He just isn't the quality that Chelsea have everywhere else.

don't agree that chelsea were robbed, liverpool beat them at there own game, it wasn't a goal but would have been a pen and a sending off, I doubt he will remind his players of that! over 192 (!!) mins of football they were the better side, remember the other sides chelsea 'robbed' last season?

have to admit that chelsea are looking favourites but I don't think it will be a good game, chelsea will try to choke midfield and score from a set piece, they have the players so may be sucessful. However Liverpool will give them a much better test then they have had so far this season, we will be relying on Benitez to outhink Mourinho again and make the most of what we have player wise and hopefully he can do it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

think liverpool will beat chelski 2-0 on wed! nice and easy!

Advertisement