Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire experience!

• 15-09-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I got Clearwire this evening having suffered with Ripwave for two days :rolleyes:

I rang them yesterday and the guy I spoke to said he could come out yesterday evening which is really good service! I got him to come out this evening and basically he just plugged in the modem and positioned it so it was getting the best signal etc.

I have 4 out of 5 signal lights lit, and I was getting about 1.5Mbps speeds earlier and pings of 30ms (according to irishisptest.com) but now its about 200Kbps and pings are about 70ms but the install engineer said they are doing work on the network this evening so it might be a bit crappy.

Your first month is one euro, and it's a 13 month contract. If you decide you don't want it during the first month you can break the contract having paid only one euro.

If you refer someone to them and they make a sale, you get a free months broadband.

So if anyone here is interested maybe I could refer you and you can refer other people, might be a good idea?

Not sure where exactly they cover, south of the city definitely and the engineer said he installed in Bray earlier today too. I'm in the Camden St end of Portobello if that helps anyone.

Will post more tomorrow, it's not really fair to judge the service when they're messing about with the network tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Keep us informed!

Many..many people would love to have an alternative to that bloody Ripwave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Will do.
    Getting 80-100 KB/sec on a torrent atm..only 29 seeders too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sounds tickety boo, any chance of a free nose stud with the package ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

eth0_ wrote:
    Will do.
    Getting 80-100 KB/sec on a torrent atm..only 29 seeders too.

Only 29 seeders? There had better be a lot a leechers in order to make 100k good.

Right just checked and it's showing 998kbps down and 301kbps upload with 30ms ping.

Even the heavy rain all night didn't appear to affect it - the light drizzly rain on Wednesday certainly seemed to worsen the Ripwave signal!

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    Only 29 seeders? There had better be a lot a leechers in order to make 100k good.

Even on massive torrents like when the Family guy movie came out I wasn't getting more than 60k on it (on my old cable broadband service) and theat had HUNDREDS of seeders.

I think there was 11 downloaders on the file I mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

What's the cost after the first month, Etho?

I've maxed out my 2Mbit connection (210KBytes/s+) before but it had about 100 seeders and was only about 120MB in size.

Its about quality(some seeders uploading LOTS) and not quantity(lots of seeders uploading little)!!!

Of course private sites get you FAR better speeds even if there are only 6 or 7 seeders!!!

Tazz T wrote:
    What's the cost after the first month, Etho?

I wouldn't be surprised if they lower this at launch time as it is a little expensive.

Proper launch isn't til October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

That is expensice to be fair. What is the official speed? same as ripwave? 521down 128up

• Advertisement

No, 1Mb/256 or 2Mb/256 is the OFFICIAL speed but it does go higher than that for some reason...I was getting faster speeds than that on irishisptest.com last night

eth0_ wrote:
    No, 1Mb/256 or 2Mb/256 is the OFFICIAL speed but it does go higher than that for some reason...I was getting faster speeds than that on irishisptest.com last night

2m/256k for €39.99 is fine especially since there is no need for a phone line and the upload is twice that of Home DSL.

1m/256k for €39.99 is a little steep though....still its far better than Ripwave!!!

Advertisement