Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling to work

• 15-09-2005 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Do you think employees who cycle to work should deserve something extra in their wage package??

Maybe the government could give extra tax credits (but don't think they will)

Maybe jobs could supply safety equipment with their companies names on it. I am sure staff wouldn't say no to it or pay for a service ever year for the emploees once they keep their bikes in a good condition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Costs €400 a year (avg) for the company to keep a parking space for you in Dublin. So, IMHO, it'd be a sensible policy for companies to offer people who take the bus a discount of a couple of quid on their tickets, and install facilities for cyclists as well as possibly offering them vouchers for bicycle shops...

Not going to happen though - most companies don't come up with such imaginitive ideas for keeping their employees happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Costs €400 a year (avg) for the company to keep a parking space for you in Dublin. So, IMHO, it'd be a sensible policy for companies to offer people who take the bus a discount of a couple of quid on their tickets, and install facilities for cyclists as well as possibly offering them vouchers for bicycle shops...

Not going to happen though - most companies don't come up with such imaginitive ideas for keeping their employees happy.

They can save you a lot more than a few quid:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/taxsaver_commuter_tickets.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mucco

Our neighbours across the Irish Sea offer tax breaks for cycle commuters to buy their bikes. It works out that a commuter can buy a bike for about half price if they're in the higher tax band. The employer dosn't have to pay NI (PRSI) on that portion of income, so they benefit too. Check out www.booost.uk.com

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    Do you think employees who cycle to work should deserve something extra in their wage package??

Maybe the government could give extra tax credits (but don't think they will)

Maybe jobs could supply safety equipment with their companies names on it. I am sure staff wouldn't say no to it or pay for a service ever year for the emploees once they keep their bikes in a good condition

The tax credits would be would probably be negated by the rise in life insurance for those who cycle. They'd be more at risk of a serious accident/death in most of our major cities roads.

How would you be certain that an employee is using the bike every day?

If there is bad weather and the employee doens't use their bike do they have to replay the credits?

Too many questions for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bluetonic wrote:
    How would you be certain that an employee is using the bike every day?

If there is bad weather and the employee doens't use their bike do they have to replay the credits?

Too many questions for my liking.

I cycle to work everyday hail rain or snow as it is 20mins - 25mins on my bike on avg or 40mins car drive with 10min walk if i get parking near my job.

Maybe not tax breaks but companies should look at encourage people to not drive there cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Trampas wrote:
    I cycle to work everyday hail rain or snow as it is 20mins - 25mins on my bike on avg or 40mins car drive with 10min walk if i get parking near my job.

Maybe not tax breaks but companies should look at encourage people to not drive there cars.

As a first they should just put BIK on compnay "free" parking spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Bluetonic wrote:
    As a first they should just put BIK on compnay "free" parking spots.

Do BIK and use part of the extra revenue for incentives for cyclists. Maybe use the money to get alternative fuels in use in the country. They won't do BIK on parking because most of the employees who benifit in Ireland are civil servants.

I think you raised good questions earlier but what do they do in the UK exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Parking spaces can easily cost €40,000+ in central Dublin. Rent is up to €360 per month, although I saw an ad for one that was €900 per month, but came with a free apartment. :D

You can fit 5-8 bikes in the equivalent of a car space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The first thing companies should do is invest in a shower or two. The amount of companies who would not even do that for their employees is astounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mucco

Bluetonic wrote:
    The tax credits would be would probably be negated by the rise in life insurance for those who cycle. They'd be more at risk of a serious accident/death in most of our major cities roads.
    Insurance companies would be foolish to raise the premiums of those who cycle to work, as the health benefits of cycling regularly out-weigh any risks.
    http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/Cyclehealth

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

I'd be quite happy if I had shower facilities where I work (the NSC Campus in Cork) but unfortunately there are none. I've asked many a time about the possibility of showers being installed but my requests seem to fall on deaf ears. Most people working here drive to work and ample car-parking space is provided but not a single shower or bicycle shed which really irks me.

Advertisement