Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Controller Revealed!!!!

Options
  • 16-09-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

Nintendo have finally revealed their controller.

It's crazy looking!

Here's some of the things it can do.

It's gyroscopic, you move the controller to aim or whatever. You can add attachments such as buttons and analog sticks (analog stick included in package). Turn it sideways? You have a nes controller. Konami and Square said it's one of the best controllers they've ever seen and it's supposed to be fantastic for FPS games. I just hope it works fantastically and doesn't turn off potential customers. I think Nintendo are trying to change everything about controlling games and I hope it works. I too laughed when I saw it. If the console is cheap and this control system and games are solid, I don't see any reason why people wouldn't buy it.

attach8oa.jpg
    all8xt.jpg
    compare0wh.jpg
    main9ii.jpg
    main27wg.jpg
    color6ia.jpg

Here's some key points from the speech.

* Iwata speaking about Revolution controller
    * Iwata unveils Revolution controller
    * Revolution controller looks like futuristic television remote.
    * Glossy white design.
    * Looks Apple iPod inspired.
    * Controller is held in one hand. Attachments in the other.
    * Attachments connect to the bottom of the controller. Iwata shows analog stick attachment.
    * Thinking about packing Revolution with the main controller and attachment, Iwata says.
    * Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D. Pefect for FPS games!
    * Future attachments planned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Giblet wrote:
    Some speculation that some press has seen it and been blown away
    Force feedback must be pretty powerful...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

nah it's just a blowjob machine tbh :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Nice one. Forgot about this.. what fun! :D

Will I be able to download those IGN videos without being a subscriber? and no live feeds, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wasn't going to stay up for this, but it's nearly 2 now, and it'll be something to keep an eye on while boards.ie backs up for the day!
    Any recommended sites to watch? I think IGN will have a report after the event, is Eurogamer covering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Gamespot apparently. Don't worry, I'll post some stuff as soon as I can.

• Advertisement

I'm trying my best not to get my hopes up, but it's been hyped so much it's hard not to. This better be good,
    Cheers Giblet, will keep an eye on Gamespot, sadly boards.ie will be down for most of it, so won't be able to post anything until after!

but you see its the fans hyping it up not nintendo. it will be a disappointment no matter what it is cause the fans have hyped it up/

evad_lhorg wrote:
    but you see its the fans hyping it up not nintendo. it will be a disappointment no matter what it is cause the fans have hyped it up/

No, nintendo have been saying this is the future of gaming etc. Calling something a revolution is big hype IMO.

I don't have big expectations myself, just making people aware that something is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

the conference wil probably contain hours of talking before they actually unveil the controller right.and by hours i mean about1?im working so ill see it anyways.
    what time is the backup??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Maybe we should start an IRC convo. for when the site goes down so we can talk as things are revealed. I don't know how but someone else.....

yeah, will head over to #boards.ie myself. The IRC client on boards.ie doesn't stay up after 3 does it?
    I've been trying to guess what this is for ages, could be nothing more than an extra button, or it could be somethign amazing. God knows, and I will too in an hour.

I'm on #boards.ie now, might see some of you on there. If not, I'll probably be back here afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I be there now, known as Hugh.

First post updated.

Looks shít on first impression (as the others thought also) but if you read the stuff at 1up its very good. especally the metroid thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Weird.

Just weird.

Looks like a tv remote.

EDIT:

Just read gamespot and 1up and that seems to make more sense now.

Can't wait to actually try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

They actually lived up to the Revolution name imo. This thing is crazy enough to work.

Might alienate a lot of "casual gamers" though, which is ironic as they are trying to simplify things.

In an article over at 1up the talk about playing Metroid Prime 2 with the new setup

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

As I've said already, I love the idea. In theory it looks great, and after about 3 minutes of saying "nintendo have lost it" it all started to click into place. The way you can turn it on it's side to make a NES controller was cool IMO, and one thing I kept forgetting was the way it responds to movement, so that D-pad is actually only there for old games (and to turn on the machine).
    Now, in practice, who knows what it will be like. It could be really uncomfortable, it could be great. As Evad pointed out, it could be a pricey hobby to get attachments for it. I don't know, but I love nintendo all the more for doing something like this that is original, functional and just different.
    I don't know if the regular gamer will go for it. Giblet said he see's it being seen as a gimmick, which people will certainly try and shrug it off as. I am glad that it's not a touch screen as this way cross platform games can still be made for it (because the gyro will just be an analoge stick) unlike the DS which demands some extra thought for devs, which they hate. I think the wider world will take a long time to get around it, and will not warm to it too quickly. They will eventually, I hope, and with the controller being able to slot into bongos, dance mats and other devices it could certainly become a defining factor in choosing a game. People may get the Rev version because they prefer to use the gyroscope than a normal analoge stick, others will go the opposite.

I really don't know what to think. the idea is brilliant, I just hope it is executed well and that the games world doesn't shrug it off without a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i dunno what to make of it...its certainly different anyways.

• Advertisement

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Might alienate a lot of "casual gamers" though, which is ironic as they are trying to simplify things.

yeah, I can see what you mean with that, but hopefully, if it works, word of mouth will make them have a go at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I could see this catching on, but only with alot of in store demos and such, people will need to see this in action to be convinced.

Don't forget, you can use GC controllers with the revolution. EA are excited about the controller aswell.

Just read over on pennyarcade where someone remarked how cool an F-Zero game would be.

It would indeed be great, just sitting back in a chair tilting left and right on the controller using the trigger underneath as an accelerator.

Would be great if it caught on. Thinking about it people who play "dancemat" games and karaoke would probably be willing to give it a go. If Nintendo release minigame packages, something similar to the Eyetoy, I'd say it would entice people.

Speaking of which, can't wait for Warioware Revolution :)

There'll be the usual guys who are like "HURR I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY TONY HAWK WITH THAT". Buy a PS3 and stick with your old games, I think it's apparent that Nintendo want to move on with this controller beyond the usual crap you get with new consoles. People are already complaining about the types of games it won't be able to play.

1: We don't know that yet.
    2: I'm more concerned with the games it WILL be able to play.

I'll buy a PS3 or XBOX360 if I want Pro Evo 5 on a normal controller.

I don't see why pro evo wouldn't work :D

it seems that nintendo are happy not to attract crossplatform games, and instead get unique titles, however as teh DS has shown in Europe, not many are willing to make the effort, although this could be different. It seems this is all part of the big Nintendo game plan, creating its own style of games that are different than others, so people get their version to avail of the new ideas. I just hope developers dont get lazy, their saying they love it now, but that doesn't mean they're going to do anything good with it.

flogen wrote:
    I just hope developers dont get lazy, their saying they love it now, but that doesn't mean they're going to do anything good with it.

Nintendo have always been about 1st party games though really, in Europe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

:eek: Wow, now there's a design I wasn't expecting! Fair play to Nintendo for not being afraid to try something new and innovative.

I love the idea of the controller tracking movement. The possibilities for further interaction in games are endless; golf swings, sword slash etc. I wonder does it just track in 2D, or can it track in 3D aswell, movement toward and away from the screen?

Hmm...only thing I'm gonna criticise about is the lenght of the cable between the "remote" and the...stick...control...thing. For too long I've had to play games with my hands locked close together on a solid pad...now I wanna to be able to lounge on an armchair in style, one arm on the armrest, the other arm stretched back behind the chair! Revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Wow. I was expecting something diferent but not this.
    Will have to see a few videos of it working to make a proper comment.

Can't wait to try and do a few moves in Street Fighter with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Looks kinda odd but if it works could be good monkey ball katamarci etc: would be fun.

kdjac

Advertisement