Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Controller Revealed!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I really hope this works out for Nintendo.
    It's such a bold move and their innovation deserves to be rewarded.

The gyroscope thing could be fantastic and it looks like it's going to be leftie friendly.
    I wonder could you use two of the analogue controllers for say fighting games or something.

And just think of the amount of people that turn their controllers when they're playing driving games etc. Now it will actually do something! :p

If it works well for FPS then it's going to be big.
    That's always my main gripe with consoles, FPSs suck coming from a PC background.

I'm sure there'll be a gyroscopic chainsaw controller for the next Resident Evil game too. :p

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I want one!!!!!

Reminds me of the power glove but the options available with it are great.

I hope Devs get out of their rut at the moment and try make new games with new ideas.

I wonder when it is coming out. Hopefully GAME will give it some shelf space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I love it. There was a crapload of speculation around this for a long time, and I remember one of the theories was very close to this - and it was my favourite, and the most compelling one IMO.

Pity that didn't show games and how it works with them. But I think the potential is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Giblet wrote:
    If the console is cheap and this control system and games are solid, I don't see any reason why people wouldn't buy it.

You and I will buy it, along with a good chunk of people on boards.ie and gaming/tech boards, but the general public are morons. Seriously. I'm not underestimating them. They're morons and fear change. This new controller thing won't go down well with the average-moron-customer. He'll laugh at it and buy the new footie/NFL game for his PS2/PS3.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

This could make or break nintendo.. if it doesnt work they could be goin down the sega route which would be a real shame...

fair play to them for being innovative.. ill be gettin it even its its **** or not..

nearly all the ps xbox games come out on the pc anyway and are mostly stupid ea clones..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well it definitely lived up to all the hype leading up to it. Hopefully they make some games that use it well, that's gonna make or break it. It looks... wrong but I won't diss it till I've tried it. Still looks better than the PS3 controller. I like the attachment idea, could bring something unique to each big game. I like how it turns sideways into a NES controller. I could see it being used in that way for driving games, with the player turning it like a steering wheel.

A lot of potential but it needs good games to prove to be more than a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

On one hand, I wanna say well done to Nintendo but...on the other hand...

Bye bye Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

koneko wrote:
    You and I will buy it, along with a good chunk of people on boards.ie and gaming/tech boards, but the general public are morons. Seriously. I'm not underestimating them. They're morons and fear change. This new controller thing won't go down well with the average-moron-customer. He'll laugh at it and buy the new footie/NFL game for his PS2/PS3.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

And - let me guess - the DS is better than the PSP too, right? Mmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm not impressed. FFS, it looks like a TV remote! Thank the good dude you can still use the GC controller on the Revolution.
    I sincerely hope that this doesn't completely alienate the general public and that this doesn't end up being Nintendo's last console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

After thinking about it and looking at it, this could be good. But it will need to work with all games especially the old ones. Lets be honest Ninty going for the budget Skoda type customer they cant compete with the ps3 and xbox360 so creating their own market.

Wouldnt be surprised if next step was to release a game on another console......

Some games you need to have complete control of the controller , the analog being seperate makes me think that wont be the case with this pad.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like the idea behind the thing... but I really don't like the look of it.

It looks like something you'd see attached to a hospital bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

i think the vid shows how good it can be

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

I think if you were using it, you'd easily forget it was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Fair balls to nintendo for trying something different. PS3 controllser looks like a melted ps2 controller, and 360's controller looks like..well..xbox 1's controller with a different colour scheme.
    at least one company has the nuts to try something different, g'wan the 'tendo!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Nice idea, I was just looking at a mouse that works kinda similar the other day and thinking it would be cool for games. Still, how long before 3rd parties start releasing similar controllers for the PS3/xbox360 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

does anyone else remember other controllers that had a gyroscopic idea in them before? nice idea just a shame it doesnt work and turns out shi.te
    if nintendo get enough 3rd party support or atleast enough of their own games that take advantage of it then it could work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    does anyone else remember other controllers that had a gyroscopic idea in them before? nice idea just a shame it doesnt work and turns out shi.te
    if nintendo get enough 3rd party support or atleast enough of their own games that take advantage of it then it could work

I had that pad. Horrible. Mainly used as a steering wheel and didn't work cos you were just moving it around freely - no resistance like a real wheel.

Nintendo's system is different, it uses two sensors you place by the TV that pick up the controller moving in any direction, not just sensors within the controller to sense tilting. Combined with the one handed design it's a completely different concept entirely. I hope it works but I still need to see games to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

First impression: "Um, wtf?"

After thinking about it for a while it's really grown on me. It really couldn't be any simpler. It also looks like it's a dvd remote out of the box which is good. No need to have a seperate peripheral for playing movies.

All accounts I've read so far say the same thing, that it's intuitive and sleek, thats the very same thing that helped the iPod become the dominant force in the DAP market. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it out, but will reserve judgement till then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not what I was expecting at all. The modular design is a good idea and means the controller can be adapted to any game. I won't be convinced myself until I read some indepth reports on how it handles in a game and also try it myself but if it is as good in Metroid Prime 2 as it is made out to be then it could well be a revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Something thats just struck me is the fact that the add ons (that analogue thingy etc) are connected by a wire, doesnt look to be a particularly long wire either. Whats the point in making the controller wireless if your still going to be restricted to using wires to join the controller up to . . . . em itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Love the concept and the prospects but I can only think of how Nintendo can remain sucessful with a device like this. With an unconventional controller it's sure to isolate most cross-platform publishers and alienate the general public (same opinion as most people then).

The one thing that makes me curious is the lack of buttons, one button with three triggers is a fairly small number these days. While I doubt I'll be playing most cross-platform games anyway (I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games tbh), the lack of crucial cross-platform titles is sure to have an effect on the general public (no GTA et al, no cigar).

It really comes down to the games, which Nintendo really need to impress me here. Their run on the Gamecube wasn't too hot, many returning, graphically-updated titles. New IP would be definetly appreciated. I'd love to see EAD make a bad-ass new franchise (shooter?) that's aimed at adults, and get rid of this "kiddy" image. You don't need Capcom to delve into the dirty work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

skywalker wrote:
    Something thats just struck me is the fact that the add ons (that analogue thingy etc) are connected by a wire, doesnt look to be a particularly long wire either. Whats the point in making the controller wireless if your still going to be restricted to using wires to join the controller up to . . . . em itself.

was thinking that too but i guess it cud b the fact that u wud need batterys in each part then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

i think the vid shows how good it can be

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html
    Wow, cool vid. I thought the part where the guy was using 2 controllers to play the drums was pretty cool. I can't think of any other situation where two controllers would be useful. Maybe in a beat-em-up or something.

A self-confessed Nintendo fan, I'm going to take a step back...

1) Completely different...one handed play? Strange
    2) As many have mentioned, general public...don't like new, extravagant ideas
    3) Slow pickup (maybe) by third party publishers.

But, once again, Nintendo have create an innovation in the console world not seen since the N64 controller (everyone was thinking, "WTF?? Stupid looking thing" but it turned out to be class.

I'm just thinking will your arm get tired from holding it up constantly and it probably would be nice to have an analogue nub somewhere (for older games)...but the idea is cool, imagine playing Goldeneye Revolution, shoot up, just tilt it up and press the trigger...shoot around the room, 180 degrees...just the controller from right to left...interesting...it'll do well in Japan i'd imagine, hopefully the takeup in the States and here will be as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i'm not sure i like this.

waving it about to do everything, no.
    too much like playing the eyetoy for extended periods of time, i'm trying to imagine a 10 hours zelda bender and all i can forsee is arm cramps.

Also i think this feature will put many people off buying a revolution, You know the way people are reluctant to play Eye toy infront of people? same deal, your friends come over and you tell them to start waving this white remove about like a demented wizzard-wannabe? won't go down well with the average pleb.

And as someone on IGN pointed out, conversions of traditionally multiformat stuff, like 90% of EA games, are going to be alot harder, i wonder just how much publishers are going to tolerate the extra costs of making FIFA compatable with the revolution Vs the returns they get.

I'm not sold, i think it may be nintendo trying to be a bit too unique. It maybe an interesting concept, but i think it may be an evolutionary dead-end.

Still, i'm going to next years TGS (hopefully) so i'll probably get the oppertunity to play with it myself, and maybe it'll be alot easier/better in reality.

edit: some new thoughs that didn't warrent a new post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Great design... cant wait to get my mitts on it.

Just turn it on its side and its basically a NES pad, beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

initial reaction like most was WTF??? though it was utter crap and the idea couldnt work with anything but eyetoy type games and racing games.
    But after thinking over it for a while it could be brilliant, even for FPS games.
    Nintendo said in the gamespot article that it isnt the final design of it either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't think arm craps would be too much of an issue, it's been said in articles that while at first you want go nuts with it, it's so responsive you don't have to move it that much in reality. I generally hold my controller in the air half the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

...if it has a vibration function I'll be very suspicious. :p

I like it. What's the harm, you can plug in you're gamecube controller if you don't like it. I don't think it requires too much ingenuity from developers to adapt their games. Although it does force developers to make their games customisable to many controller configurations - a good thing IMO. Whether or not the lazy bastards will do it is another thing.

One thing though, would you mind your neighbours walking past your window seeing you jumping about like a lunatic slashing some wand around in the air? I thought the guys in the teaser video did look a bit thick... It's taken years of controlled thought and discipline to NOT move my controller during games. Now I have to unlearn it. Ah well, should be fun. :)

I would have liked a touch screen but Nintendo probably realised that they're not worth the cost with regards to game-play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

interesting, but still a bit too "out there" to grab the mass market. but like what's been said before, if you don't like it, use your GC controller. i'm sure there'll be logitech ones too.

i still don't think it's all that "revolutionary" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

NoelRock wrote:
    And - let me guess - the DS is better than the PSP too, right? Mmm...

Wtf? I never mentioned the DS nor the PSP. And not that is is on topic, or even matters, but I don't think one is better than the other, I think they are totally different and offer completely different games. Lets not turn every thread into DS vs PSP again, shall we?

(And I don't even have a DS (yet) but I do have a PSP)

Advertisement