Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Controller Revealed!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Slides and speech in English Streaming, 47:41 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Dreamcast fishing Rod + Amiga style controller = Revolution controller

I'd hardly call it ground breaking as the fanboys are but it is somewhat interesting looking.

The best thing about it is turning it on its side and using it as a NES controller.

Not what I was expecting.

Koneko: NoelRock mentioned the DS and PSP in a sarcastic way as he was commenting on your utter fanboy post where everyone is a moron if they don't buy nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Strange alright isn't it. Dont quite know what to make of it myself. I'm trying to find whats so revolutionary about the whole thing but to me it just looks retro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Stoichkov wrote:
    Koneko: NoelRock mentioned the DS and PSP in a sarcastic way as he was commenting on your utter fanboy post where everyone is a moron if they don't buy nintendo.
    Well lets take a look.

koneko wrote:
    You and I will buy it, along with a good chunk of people on boards.ie and gaming/tech boards, but the general public are morons. Seriously. I'm not underestimating them. They're morons and fear change. This new controller thing won't go down well with the average-moron-customer. He'll laugh at it and buy the new footie/NFL game for his PS2/PS3.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
    Oh yes, the ramblings of a true fanboy....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Eh Hugh I don't want the thread to slide into an arguement that has nothing to with the topic but calling people morons three times simply because they don't want a nintendo is fanboyish. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, how much are the controllers likely to cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stoichkov wrote:
    Eh Hugh I don't want the thread to slide into an arguement that has nothing to with the topic but calling people morons three times simply because they don't want a nintendo is fanboyish. :rolleyes:

It's not ramblings of a fanyboy. The fact of the matter is that the general public are morons. It's the reason that games like NFS:U 2, Fifa and insert generic license are dominating the charts while Metroid Prime 2 doesn't even dent the top 40. And I won't even go into the presidential elections in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

thats it? a tv controller the turns on its side to be a NES controller?, and some gyroscope? am I missing something?, RIP Nintendo console if thats all it has up its sleeves. hope not

how about this for an idea a wireless keyboard and mouse for the best FPS controls around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most people aren't boring enough to just play CS Source all day. There's more to life than FPS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Does anyone have another link to the trailer video? IGN have moved it to Insider only so can't watch it there. I watched it in work earlier but without sound it was just lots of people waving their arms around randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i like the combo idea...but the controller on its own doesnt appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Stoichkov wrote:

Stoichkov the fact of the matter is he was right. The general public are morons, as retro said. Why else does the fifa series and games like nfs u2 do well? Because people are stupid and go like sheep and buy what ever the marketers tell them do.

I'm an xbox man because its a better system than the PS2 despite the fact that i was a PS1 man. Reason is that I don't follow like a sheep as most of the morons of Ireland do and roll straight into a PS2.

Having read a review of the controller on 1up I have to say im deeply intrigued. Nintendo have had me for a while now desperate to find out whats revolutionary and I have to say I think they are on to something. I don't think they will steal it from the PS3 and 360 due to the sheep mentality of the public but I think they may well have the best system of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What are all you people talking about when you say its nothing new, exciting or revolutionary ? shut up. It may not work well, it MAY fall flat on its face but if it does work of course its revolutionary. There has never been a controller like it... When has anyone played a game using gyroscope style control ?

I wont be able to make up my mind until I see it in use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounds like its gonna live up to the Revolution title! Didnt think they could pull it off, but there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I hope lucasarts make some sort of decent lightsaber game for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

NoelRock wrote:
    And - let me guess - the DS is better than the PSP too, right? Mmm...

Let's see how you define 'better'.

'More popular'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's not ramblings of a fanyboy. The fact of the matter is that the general public are morons. It's the reason that games like NFS:U 2, Fifa and insert generic license are dominating the charts while Metroid Prime 2 doesn't even dent the top 40. And I won't even go into the presidential elections in America.

I beg to differ, it is ramblings of a fanboy. When Nintendo can catch the general public's imagination again, and stop with the gimmicks, then we'll call it a revolution.

There are two sides to games - the creative side and the marketing side - gaming is *gasp* a business after all and, unfortunately, Nintendo have not mastered the marketing side of it at all. Nevertheless, for you (and Koneko) to make this sweeping assertion that the general public are idiots because they don't buy Nintendo is just wrong on many levels. There have been innovative games which have, to an extent, captured the public's imagination.

Shockingly, just because you're a Nintendo fan, that doesn't make your opinion more valid than anybody elses on the topic. Personally, I'm not affiliated with any particular console - though I am sick of the elitism that goes on, and the mass branding of people who enjoy particular consoles (i.e. "morons").
    There's more to life than FPS games.

Remove the FPS from the sentence, and you might actually be onto something. Games are distractions, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Sico wrote:
    Let's see how you define 'better'.

'More popular'?

:rolleyes: Look at my sentence. Did I even say either console was better? No. It was a question.

NoelRock wrote:
    :rolleyes: Look at my sentence. Did I even say either console was better? No. It was a question.
    Did he say you said that? No. He asked you how you define better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

If nintendo brought out a brown paper bag the fanboys would say its revolutionary. Any nintendo related thread i have read here has always being elitist, as if they look down to you because you dont like their games. There was another thread the other day about the DS and PSP and as usual it had to end with the typical " Maybe Ninty should release a shiny black DS to get back the moron market!" .They seem to find it hard to believe that some ppl dont play games a lot and might actually want to play fifa or nfs for 30 mins now and again. Not everyone has time to check out how good a game is on the net or they mind not even know where to look, so of course EA games sell well but doesnt mean the ppl are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I think it's bloody ace.

Freeform analog movement mapped into games? Yes please!

The best realistic theory I had seen for Rev's controller is very closely matched by this. Dual, seperate, motion-capturing controllers, one for each hand. I always thought it'd be great, and I can't believe Nintendo's actually offering this

The possibilities and potential are immense. Whatever small niggles there might be, I think they're more than outweighed by what you're gaining with something like this. You'll be able to express motion in games with this that would be simply impractical with any current joypad or a mouse/keyboard. It's true 3D analog movement, not the more limited motion offered by a stick - and that can change a lot. The potential for FPS games is huge. And there's the potential to make nearly any type of game feel "new" again, in ways the N64 did, and in ways Gamecube never could have.

I'm immensely hyped for Rev now. I was keeping my expectations way low for Nintendo prior to this, in fact it was almost off my radar, but I'm very happy to anticipate more info on this, and of course the games :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

from euro gamer

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

Artists impression. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I was expecting some sort of tilt technology, but I wasn't expecting anything like I just saw. The first I heard of it was on game central this morning but I don't think any amount of words could really describe what they've done. I'm hoping developers use it well, and I'm really looking forward to controlling F-Zero with the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this would be perfect for girls playin mario kart and stuff cause they always move the controller the way they want to turn anyway :D

evad_lhorg wrote:
    this would be perfect for girls playin mario kart and stuff cause they always move the controller the way they want to turn anyway :D

Haha, it's true, although I've seen more than girls do it ;) I remember when we first got a snes, my mother gave it a go, and here approach to the controller was EXACTLY like that seen in the controller video nintendo put out - "hopping" the controller up and down as if to try and get mario to jump. That vid just put such a massive smile on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

ascii_grip.jpg

Couple of tweaks, boom. Bye Nintendo.

An interesting concept "add-on" that should happen:

revsteeringwheel3fl5yd.jpg

Although the proportions would need to be changed, as the controller itself is tiny. But it makes much sense..steer to control direction, tilt forward to accelerate, back to slow down/brake. Would be wonderful. Add a button or two perhaps where you'll be holding the wheel (if even necessary), et voila. Something anyone could handle, and a fantastic degree of control. All those people who move the pad in racing games..this is for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can't wait to play this thing. The more I read the more it sounds absolutly fantastic.

and I think my first words upon seeing at it last night were "that looks simply awful"... but that first impression didn't last past the first article I read. Hopefully they'll be able to convince enough people to have a second, longer look when they see it.

A friend of mine took one look, laughed and doesn't seem willing to look at it again. Looks stupid aparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

LookingFor wrote:
    An interesting concept "add-on" that should happen:

Although the proportions would need to be changed, as the controller itself is tiny. But it makes much sense..steer to control direction, tilt forward to accelerate, back to slow down/brake. Would be wonderful. Add a button or two perhaps where you'll be holding the wheel (if even necessary), et voila. Something anyone could handle, and a fantastic degree of control. All those people who move the pad in racing games..this is for you :D

The possibilities for this seem almost endless.
    That steering wheel addon could be fantastic.
    Really looking forward to see this in action.

Killian

• Advertisement

That's a cool idea LookingFor! I don't think the tilt forward/back would be easy to play though...perhaps some thumb buttons on the outer rim would be more ideal.

Advertisement