Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Controller Revealed!!!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Hahaha, classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I was thinking about this, how the hell do you turn around in an FPS game?

You move with the stick, and you point your controller whatever way you want to turn, so how would you turn 180 degrees? you hardly turn your controller all the way round, that'd be too awkward, and if you point it at the edge of the screen to commence a turn that seems less intuitive than using a stick is now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It probably turns with respect to how far away from the centre of the screen you are, a bit like the stylus use in mario 64 DS. Pure speculation but it's how I'd see it used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd imagine that you would point it to the left to start turning left, then straighten it up to stop turning. So just keep it tilted a bit longer and vola! a 180, 360, whatever.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It probably turns with respect to how far away from the centre of the screen you are, a bit like the stylus use in mario 64 DS. Pure speculation but it's how I'd see it used.

Well the way I was thinking was that he should point exactly where you point, thats the whole purpose of the new controller, if he just turns depending on how far off centre you are then its the same as a a stick.

But as I was writing this it ocurred to me that could be the normal control method, and then you can hold down A to go in aim mode where you can point the gun where you point the controller, ala Goldeneye. That could work well actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mabye you use it like a mouse, so small movement of your hand means a much larger movement onscreen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What we need to settle this are videos of people looking like loonies flailing about with a skybox type nunchuka at TGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Mabye you use it like a mouse, so small movement of your hand means a much larger movement onscreen.

Bingo, but I think it'll be down to the software to decide how movement maps and scales to the game.

But this may be relevant to some concerns:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
    At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LookingFor wrote:

Jesus thats just sold me :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

how about, tilting and pointing controlls where exactly you are looking with your head. up and down. to turn around your charactor looks far too the left and keeps turning when he gets to looking at the edge(in some games probably a shotcut button for a quick 180 turn).
    analog stick controlls strafing right and left and moving foward and back

well that's how I would see things
    but knowing nintendo they would make the 1st and 2nd party games come with full controller customisation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it'll make multiplayer's fun to watch, and pushing someones arm will become the new diconnect the joypad =)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It was set up in the "nunchaku" configuration described in the article. On the left controller, the thumbstick controlled player movement, the upper trigger button was assigned to visor-switching, and the lower trigger was assigned to the "scan" function and locking onto a target. On the right controller, the controller itself moved the player's gun independently of the player's view (yes, you could fire at any point on the screen without changing the player view -- the gun tilted to face toward the aim point), the trigger button fired the gun, and three of the buttons controlled jumping, firing missiles, and switching to morphball mode.

I might be reading this wrong, but he seems to be accounting for more buttons. There are two on the extra stick, controlling visor and scans, the trigger is to fire, so what are the other three buttons he's talking about? At my count there's only one other button (unless you count the 2 NES buttons, but they'd be impossible to reach comfortably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

the d pad?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I find the subject of new controllers very interesting.

I think a device for your feet is inevitable. Your feet would click into place onto the top of 2 short analogue stick-like devices. Movement would be more intuative. To run, you push both feet forward. To stop, reset both feet to center. To turn 180º, you push down and rotate your left foot from 9 oclock to 6, and your right foot automatically moves from 3 oclock to 12 oclock. Once your finished rotating you release pressure and reset your feet to neutral position. This device would be good for simulating pedals in driving games too.

KdjaC wrote:
    the d pad?

kdjac

hm, probably, would make sense given that switching modes is done with the d pad in metroid, although the jumping isn't, is it?

Giblet wrote:

That's a pretty exciting "preview" if it's not BS.

Asides from Metroid, I wonder if this will encourage Nintendo to pour more resources into FPS games. The N64 was King for FPSes amongst consoles, but they lost that to Xbox with Gamecube. Revolution, with the right software, could be king for FPSes period, at least in terms of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

LookingFor wrote:
    That's a pretty exciting "preview" if it's not BS.

Asides from Metroid, I wonder if this will encourage Nintendo to pour more resources into FPS games. The N64 was King for FPSes amongst consoles, but they lost that to Xbox with Gamecube. Revolution, with the right software, could be king for FPSes period, at least in terms of control.

The PC will always be King for FPS's the mouse and keyboard combination is soo effective!

-oRnein9- wrote:
    The PC will always be King for FPS's the mouse and keyboard combination is soo effective!

If you wanted to look at a simple mapping of control from mouse/kb to Rev's controller, it will likely be at least as effective, if not more so. WASD to a the d-pad of a controller in one hand (or better still, make it analog with a stick), point and shoot with a controller in the other. But Rev can offer more than that. Mouse motion is entirely 2D, with Rev you can have full 3d movement. Remember picking things up and throwing them in Half-life 2? How much better would that have been with 3d motion, eh? The first hand impressions of it thusfar compare it very favourably to kb/mouse for a FPS, with some even saying it could be better.

On a different note, someone mention on another board the possibilities for a Spiderman-style FPS with this..shooting web with the trigger, pulling back to gain tension to propel you forward, shooting web to grab a bad guys gun, and flicking the controller back to pull it out of their hands etc. Something like that could be awesome :)

Counter Strike players should open their eyes that maybe, just maybe, a revolutionary design that a respected games company has inversted heavily in and seems to have been constructed to make games control as effectively as possible, might actually be more effective than a board with at least 30 buttons unused in gameplay and a device designed for manipulating a cursor in office applications, which can only be used while sitting up at a desk. I could be wrong but I remain hopeful that this really does revolutionise gameplay.

I still want to see the games though. I hope it doesn't just lead to a list of 'hey look what the controller can do' mini-games and instead has a lot of real games, with substance, that are enhanced by the new controller.

• Advertisement

steviec wrote:
    Counter Strike players should open their eyes that maybe, just maybe, a revolutionary design that a respected games company has inversted heavily in and seems to have been constructed to make games control as effectively as possible, might actually be more effective than a board with at least 30 buttons unused in gameplay and a device designed for manipulating a cursor in office applications, which can only be used while sitting up at a desk. I could be wrong but I remain hopeful that this really does revolutionise gameplay.

I still want to see the games though. I hope it doesn't just lead to a list of 'hey look what the controller can do' mini-games and instead has a lot of real games, with substance, that are enhanced by the new controller.

I can see a lot of cross-platform (did someone say EA?) games using stupid mini-games to show off the controller while using its potential as little as possible other wise. I just hope it isn't just Nintendo that use the controller properly though, but there are enough development groups out there who aren't that lazy, and maybe, just maybe, this will inspire them enough to get working on something great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

there taking a risk here in all fairness but im not saying anything about the controller until its actually in my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

id say capcom will take on the challenge of workin with this console big time tbh. especially clover studios./ shinji mikami works there now too doesnt he?

I wonder will Kojima be thinkin of bringing metal gear to the revolution..... i dont like metal gear games at all but it would be good for the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

it might involve some 'extra' work to design a game that works with the controller... but lets not forget that a lot of game production companys are complaining that they simply don't have the man power, time or resources to develop the graphically intensive games that people expect to see on the PS3 / XB360.

Revolution isn't such a great leap graphically... it's just a new and (maybe?) better way to play games.. making a whole new host of game ideas possible. I'm hopeing to see a lot of smaller companys taking chances and making something great for the Rev.

The huge, shiney, graphical bonanza's could end up looking stale beside them.

Goodshape wrote:
    it might involve some 'extra' work to design a game that works with the controller... but lets not forget that a lot of game production companys are complaining that they simply don't have the man power, time or resources to develop the graphically intensive games that people expect to see on the PS3 / XB360.

Revolution isn't such a great leap graphically... it's just a new and (maybe?) better way to play games.. making a whole new host of game ideas possible. I'm hopeing to see a lot of smaller companys taking chances and making something great for the Rev.

The huge, shiney, graphical bonanza's could end up looking stale beside them.

There hasn't been any solid graphical information on the Rev though. I'd make a guess that it wont be up there with the xb and ps3, but you never know, Nintendo have a way of making simple tech work well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Why is everyone convinced that the rev is so poor technically compared to the PS3 or 360? We don’t know anything about it in that respect.

Anyway my point, yes for the cross platforms (ea) games I can see them using basically the regular controller add on, no use of the movement part here. What really opens doors here is that sony and ms played safe. Same console more power in other words. Ninty have come out with something mad, ridiculous, outrageous and brilliant. For the small companies that don’t have the budget of 10-20mill for cinematic sequences, graphics and a 60 piece orchestra sound track this is a god send. In this system they also don’t have to worry about the number 1 stumbling block of the other systems, the cell and core processors. While ultimately the cell and core will be their biggest asset from the outset its their biggest foe due to development difficulties. So smaller companies will be able to throw in their original ideas they have been sitting on for a long time and the Rev in my opinion will have one hell of a games catalogue with some of the most outrageous and original ideas.

Yes that’s all based on best guess, but its the way i can see it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Anyone who doubts has not yet seen the light.......Nintendo wont mess it up......It will rock.

Soul Calibre with the nunchaku config anyone? muahahhaha

Advertisement