Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's so good about this "Bleach"

Options
  • 16-09-2005 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I [strike]downlo[/strike] legally acquired the first few episodes but being the moron I am I deleted them because I thought the files were too small, anyway now that I have legally acquired them again, just wondering what peoples opinions are on it and why YOU think it's so damn popular at the moment..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

First off im glad to see your still alive...

Bleach is one of those shows.
    Animated like Naruto, with an orange haired kid and involves creatures that remind me of "spirited away".

The story of the show is gripping and makes you want to watch more.
    It is in essence a kids show but sometimes seems a little more adult.
    Although it does conform to the standard rules of a kids show..
    i.e they can fight each other but not die.

I personally like this show but it suffers from the same problem as Naruto.
    "Levelling Up" is what happens to Naruto, when he faces an opponent he cannot beat he pulls more "power" out of nowhere and doesnt fail. Bleach is also has this flaw. The story was loose at the start and now that it has taken off i believe that they would like to see it ongoing like Naruto.

However this is the reason i stopped watching naruto.. I like an ending. A solid conclusive ending or even one that makes you think.

Continuing Bleach will reap more and more money for the creators but change it from a good show to another Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon, which is where Naruto is heading!

Im hoping it ends on ep.52 and if it does i will recommend the show to others.
    If i does not i will cease watching this show and place it with the above named shows in my list of unwatchables.

This show is aimed to those who are not involved in the anime scene and is the show that would encourage new people to watch more anime as it is an enjoyable story about a struggling child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carbon Blob

I watched the first few eps of Bleach (up to the big guy who can survive giant girders falling on him) and really didn't enjoy it at all, the characters I didn't find all that interesting, and the show was just a chore to watch. The small black haired death god girl and the main character both got on my nerves for some reason, and I couldn't look at the orange haired one without seeing Osaka. I can't remember much about what happened in those first few eps, but I do remember thinking at the time that the plot was paper thin and just a setup for the guy to go off and kick some ass.

It seemed like it was gearing up for a DBZ-esque ride into the 100+ episode territory of good guy continually powering up to beat increasingly strong bad guys. The good guy will always win, noone will ever die, and if the good guy loses he'll power up some more and be back to exact revenge pretty snappily. Basically nothing really interesting will ever happen :). That may not be where it went (as I said, only saw the first few eps), but that's certainly the impression it left.

So, the plot's near non-existance in the first few eps, the impression the show gave me, and the characters not being likeable turned me off Bleach pretty fast. As for your second question, I don't know why it's so popular at the minute. People enjoy watching the fights, and like the characters would be my guesses though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BenBen

Umm well Bleach only really get interesting around the 14th or 15th episode, because he stops fighting Hollows and starts to conflict with real people, adding more depth to the story. I dont think Bleach is quite as shallow as DBZ is, but then DBZ is only shallow if you merely glance at it. Bleach definitely has more than the good-evil struggle going on in DBZ. There are many characters who while apparently being on one side, have their own agendas, and only care about that.

I would also have to say that the main group of characters on Bleach dont really interest me to a large extent, except perhaps Yoruichi the cat. My favourite character is Abarai Renji (tatooed guy) beacause of the inner conflict he has to face, and the way in which he doesnt know what side to choose.

Its popular beacause the main character is a modern and realistic person. IMHO, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Thanks for the replies, Conor I was actually just watching Naruto too when you posted that heheh..Didn't get a chance to watch Bleach yet, I'm gonna watch 1 & 2 tonight and post back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it all turns to ****e around episode 25. up to episode 32 now and i'm not enjoying it all that much any more. (then again, i've been watching an average of 3 episodes a day... perhaps i should just give it a break for a few days)

i'd definitely recommend that people watch it up to the point where
    they go to soul society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah after that point it kind of drags a bit.
    Some pretty cool fights though it has to be said. Looks like they may wrap up a couple of story arcs in one go now. Well at least I hope they do, I hope they don't drag it out for another 26 episodes. But to be honest it looks like they might. I don't think they can get it all finished in 3 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CyTai

If you really like Bleach, the manga is way better than the anime.

The story in manga is much more rapid and interesting than anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wow, you guys are painting a poor picture of what I had been lead to believe was awesome, hmm.
    It was high on my todo list, but well see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nah. it's a great show, nadir.
    it starts getting good again after episode 40. and everything between that and episode 25 are still highly watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

kewl tman, will give it a blast when i get thought the other 200 eps of stuff I have queued up to watch XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Makaveli wrote:
    I hope they don't drag it out for another 26 episodes. But to be honest it looks like they might. I don't think they can get it all finished in 3 episodes.

Well it looks like they have confirmed up to 70 episodes at least.
    http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/491

From the looks of it Ep 52 & 53 will be a combined special. Hmm, Naruto-esque.

Advertisement