Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGS4: Guns of the Patriots (Trailer/Direct media)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

now that's class. and they say forget pre-rendered? can the PS3 really render THAT in real time?

one word.

WOW!

I knew there wasn't a reason for me to pre-order an XBOX 360. :D

PS3 all the way baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

vibe666 wrote:
    now that's class. and they say forget pre-rendered? can the PS3 really render THAT in real time?

An unfinished PS3 can :D

I think this vindicate's Sony's "controversial" E3 showing. Well, I'll wait for better footage, but putting together the motion and dynamics of that trailer, the solidity of that world, and the render quality in the shots, and I think it's in a league of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was watching it and wondering about the movement of the characters, and thinking if it really is rendered in real time ala 'in game' then they'd have to have some sort of random movement algorithm generating that unconscious subtle movement that real people do when they're just standing there. those little shifts around to compensate for balance etc.

it sounds simple enough when you just read it like that, but the calculations required to do that alone and make it look as realistic as it does are well, just.....WOW!

me rushes out to go and re-play all the previous games so I have the full story in time for launch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Am I the only one not overly impressed by those shots? I mean, no arguing, they look good, but nothing that isn't already doable on the PC; or at the very minimum doable on the PC in the following months even pre-dating the PS3 launch.

That said, whoever said that this is the reason to scrap the 360 order, the screenshots and various images of Gears of War look every bit as impressive.

I'm willing to say that if MGS4 comes out near to launch date, it'll be nothing that can't be done by the 360 either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Very impressive. Damn you sony now im interested in MGS again, and i thought id given up on it after the mess that was mgs3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Yesterday looking at the screenshots I didn't think they were that far above PCs, but having seen it moving now... wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

vibe666 wrote:
    i was watching it and wondering about the movement of the characters, and thinking if it really is rendered in real time ala 'in game' then they'd have to have some sort of random movement algorithm generating that unconscious subtle movement that real people do when they're just standing there. those little shifts around to compensate for balance etc.

it sounds simple enough when you just read it like that, but the calculations required to do that alone and make it look as realistic as it does are well, just.....WOW!
    They can animate that easily, especially if its just for a FMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The start was brilliant :D
    The rest was a bit dull, but cool nonetheless.

There's a "long" version of the trailer still to come with more stuff. 1up has impressions of it.

I saw a slightly better quality version and it looks much better than the vid i posted. I've lost the link though. Direct feed vid shouldn't be too far away.

Hmmm, boring video, but it does look great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I mean, no arguing, they look good, but nothing that isn't already doable on the PC; or at the very minimum doable on the PC in the following months even pre-dating the PS3 launch.
    That's pretty much always going to be the case. As long as nVidia and ATi are making the gfx cards for the consoles, PC gfx can never really fall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The characters don't look great really. An old snake ffs! Still haven't played MGS3... The motion capturing is nice, but not revolutionary. The scenery / wind effects / physics / buildings look outstanding; better than anything I've seen the 360 do so far. I thought it was pre-rendered. Maybe it is? The future is bright graphically anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrPinK wrote:
    That's pretty much always going to be the case. As long as nVidia and ATi are making the gfx cards for the consoles, PC gfx can never really fall behind.

Atm with SLI from both Nvidia and ATI the new consoles just got overtook and lapped in the same movement.

2 7800GTXs in SLI or 2 X1800 in Crossfire :eek:
    Gigaflop that :)

/Still reckon MGS is prerendered FMV ala Killl zone and BF2 movies before the game. Its like the thing to do, would be funnier if both CEOs took their lads out and said mine is bigger than yours...

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

as far as "console vs pc" stuff, graphics will be very similar. like the point mrpink made, nVidia and ATi are doing the console stuff, as well as being the main suppliers to the PC market.

it's the CELL processor (in ps3 anyway) that'll make the difference. you wont reach the standards of game-specific power unless you go with a motherboard with 2 or 3 chipslots... and they're hardly viable financally atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

KdjaC wrote:
    Atm with SLI from both Nvidia and ATI the new consoles just got overtook and lapped in the same movement.

2 7800GTXs in SLI or 2 X1800 in Crossfire :eek:
    Gigaflop that :)

/Still reckon MGS is prerendered FMV ala Killl zone and BF2 movies before the game. Its like the thing to do, would be funnier if both CEOs took their lads out and said mine is bigger than yours...

kdjac

The video says right at the start that it's not pre-rendered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Giblet wrote:
    The video says right at the start that it's not pre-rendered.

So did Kill zone@e3 , Bf2 , back of C64 boxes used to say Amiga screenshots. Its no different.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Killzone said it was 'representative of what PS3 games will look like' or worded something along those lines.

This has been absolutely clarified as realtime PS3 footage from the game on a PS3 devkit. Just like MGS2 was for PS2 and nobody believed them that time either.

Also, this trailer shows that the trailers at E3 were representative of what the PS3 can do, this is real time and probably looks more impressive than any of them.

KdjaC wrote:
    So did Kill zone@e3

don't recall that bit of the killzone vid tbh. and devs have come out to say that the kz vid was scripted, but used the engine they've been working on for nearly 5 years to render the images at a slow framerate, and then sped up to 60fps (because they didn't have the cell processor at the time). they worked on the sequence since last november to have it done for e3... a 5minute animation doesn't take that long

don't recall that bit of the killzone vid tbh. and devs have come out to say that the kz vid was scripted, but used the engine they've been working on for nearly 5 years to render the images at a slow framerate, and then sped up to 60fps (because they didn't have the cell processor at the time). they worked on the sequence since last november to have it done for e3... a 5minute animation doesn't take that long

Since e3 Guerilla have not actually directly said "Killzone was running on the same engine that will be used in the ps3". They do alot of "It's a good example of what it'll look like", "Its represents what we can expect from next gen", etc etc.

It seems to be fairly common knowledge in most quarters that the E3 demo of Killzone was a pre-rendered video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

you can tell its not pre rendered, dont ask me how, but it just doesnt look pre rendered. If it was it would look better imo, as it stands it looks great, but id bey my house thats its not FMV

• Advertisement

They had a presentation at TGS where they interacted with the demo live on stage - just camera manipulation, turning on and off of effects etc, showed some devkit debug output etc. but it proves it was realtime:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050916/mgs4.htm

Self-shadowing before/after
    mgs410.jpg
    mgs411.jpg

Depth of field:
    mgs412.jpg

Lighting & fog manipulation:

mgs413.jpg
    mgs415.jpg

So it's certainly not prerendered.

ETA on a direct feed trailer seems uncertain right now. It is coming, it will be on Konami's site, but when is unclear. Probably sometime this weekend though. There seem to be a number of different versions though - the one we've seen sofar seems to have a minute cut short. The longer version introduces Raiden, as Kojima mentioned in Famitsu.

There are a couple of different captures floating around now, of varying quality. The one I've posted seems the worst, though, some of the better ones show a noticeable improvement still. Direct feed should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Killzone is **** anyway man, its a pity the ps hasnt got any stand alone good fps what sony do have is the grand turismo series and mgs, but they aint got a decent fps on the market, and a sequel to a bog standerd fps like killzone isnt prolly gonna be great neither, and that killzone video at e3, dont get me started on that, as Mobile said, the gears of war game looks class, and the code they showed at e3 was only running off one of the cores on the processor :D now lets hope they use the other 2. Cant wait for metal gaer though, looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It looks like a Bullshot

Since e3 Guerilla have not actually directly said "Killzone was running on the same engine that will be used in the ps3". They do alot of "It's a good example of what it'll look like", "Its represents what we can expect from next gen", etc etc.

It seems to be fairly common knowledge in most quarters that the E3 demo of Killzone was a pre-rendered video.

that was sony, not guerilla. i've been in contact with some of the dev team at guerilla since i went to that "super secret killzone launch party" last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

2 7800GTXs in SLI or 2 X1800 in Crossfire
    Gigaflop that

kdjac

Yes but games will not be made to take advantage of that. Your getting an fps boost and nothing more. What % of the pc market have a setup like that? 0.1% or less.

Btw Kojima has never released pre rendered videos of MGS. People said the same thing about MGS2. More and more companies are releasing images and videos displaying such a high quality of graphics. Why does everybody still think they are all pre-rendered? The machine is well capable of it.

Advertisement