Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike in Galway ?

Options
  • 16-09-2005 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all !
    I'm an international student in Galway. Does anybody knows, if there is some skatepark or some bikers, especially for trial and street riding? If so, write me an e-mail to zakhan@centrum.cz

Thanks a lot, Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BBG

Hey,
    been living in Galway for the last year but I only brought my bike up in the last few months. I'd be in the same boat as yourself looking for other bikers/trails. There is a "skatepark" if you could call it that near the cathedral. Its like 1 half pipe and....well..thats about it I guess... I'd be interested to hear if you found anywhere decent to ride. Have you got a car? Rumour has it theres a new bike park in Limerick somewhere. 2 hours away, purpose built trails etc, no idea if there any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I used to ride BMX around Galway, NUIG is great during the summer and at weekend's for big drops and rails, especially around the Library. Security is a bit dodgy but they are normally fat and are easy to get away from, but they do call the cops if you persist. Loads of Kids hang around by the Spanish Arch and hop the 3 steps there..... Its a bit of joke really, most of the stuff thats good is out in the Industrial Estates, Loads of cool loading bays etc.

Trails are normally outside of town (Connemara etc) Pop into Mountain Trail in the Cornstore center and ask them whats around at the moment?

Sean

actually, I heard Barna Forest was quite good so I went a while back. It was'nt... did I miss something? Industrial estates? which ones. I was hunting last night. Was only in Lisbaun, Ballybritt and that one near Dunnes. It was one serious manky night. Didnt find anything majorly interesting. Saying that, I aint exactly shi*t hot so theres stuff that I did see and went "maybe tomorrow". There were planty of palettes left around. Would be nice to grab a few, make some jump, skinnies somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

yah, they talk about Bearna Woods being a place for some off-roading but it's so tiny, and sometimes full of pedestrians.
    There's a place by Renmore, actually 2 places. If you head toward the Dublin rd, go past the GMIT there's a roundabout and a hotel, past that there's a hospital on the left, go up the drive there and you'll spot a couple trails disappearing into the woods to the left.
    There's a whole network of trails for off-roading there, you'll be having to dodge the burnt out cars however.

If you keep going past the hospital on the main road you'll notice a road splitting off to the right at an angle, there's a red metal gate there an inside that woods is another trail. It's a pretty small area but you can getup some decent speeds and there's this big crater of a sink hole which could be an intesting giant drop if your crazy enough.

Yeah, I actually know the spot near the red gate. I've ridden there a couple of times. Its only down the road from where I work. There were some nice jumps but not sure if there there now. Havent been down there in a couple weeks, combination of pi$$ weather and no time.

as for the sink hole....ah sure I wouldnt be able to get out of it again. other than that, i'd do it. ;) ...yeah..righ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Darren_C

I used to mountain bike round Galway as a kid and always thought Bearna was rubbish.

The Salthill park (opposite leisureland) has a double hill and a small natural ramp on one side which is fun for some small jumps - potential for a kicker? Also there's a few places on the prom for small dropoffs from the shelters or out in Blackrock at the swimming place.

Woodstock Forest on the Moycullen road (on left hand side coming from town about 1/2 a mile before Madden's nursery) was our offroad paradise. There were some proper trails put in before they chopped the forest down a few years back. If you can get in there it might be pretty good.

Anyway hope that helps some

Cheers
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I'm a street/trials rider. From Limerick, but going to NUIG. Just in the middle of lacing a new wheel so I should be back riding next week. Any of ye up for meeting up and doin some street?

No park in Limerick. Cratloe woods has goodish trails, Killaloe now has a full blown downhill track built by my mates. If your interested in riding in Limerick check out http://mbul.csn.ul.ie

hey, sounds good. Forgot about this thread Just after replacing a split axle on my front wheel myself. Hopefully there shall be no more problems for now. I'm always up for riding (thats sounds quite dodge). Cant say I'm any good at street, no fancy tricks here but any excuse to get out, meet other riders etc is a good one. Saw that UL site before. some very cool stuff.

Advertisement