Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Troubleshooting XP not fully booting

• 16-09-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Okay so said XP Home machine will not boot fully in any mode: safe, safe + console or last known good config. It pauses just as it gets to a GUI.

Reinstall is not an option, or at least is the very last one.

Removed HD, scanned for viruses, found two in system restore folder and deleted em. Super.

Ran windows repair, following reboot, again trys to start GUI and I am presented with a black screen and a mouse pointer.

Would be fair to say that software or drivers are an issue, question is what steps would you take to troubleshoot.

The hardware is hunkydory, RAM tested fine, HD grand, CPU tested fine and I have completed the 1st part of XP setup with no problems on another HD just to be sure.

just wondering for those who go to the trouble of this what your plan of action is.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I take it you have left it sitting for half an hour just in case it's looking for something ?

Or try removing some non essential hardware to force it detect HW maybe (won't fix any problems but if it don't detect it then not a good sign)

I really hate those ones.

There is a reg setting to show stuff as it happens - will try to dig up later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Had similar problem on a guys computer before,ran chkdesk and all was okay.Did you try this command?

Regards kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea tried chkdsk before the repair. I left it for 45mins to see if it would continue. No joy

Gut feeling was dodgy graphics driver, so i pulled the INF's out with good ole knoppix.

It up and running now, thanks for your input.

That registry info would be great Capt'n if you can get it for me.

Advertisement