Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst english accent?

Options
  • 16-09-2005 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have these friends - one of them loves the australian accent (to the point she only goes out with Oz guys) whereas the other abhors it. She claims it makes her skin crawl. Nasal american accent, like southern canadian, does that for me. It's like they exagerate the worst part of the language and then speak real loud, to p!ss me off :rolleyes:

What accent makes you wanna slap somebody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Sarf London and Kent/Hampshire really nasal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yore ma's accent.

But seriously, I find it's the personality more than the accent that annoys me in a person tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Agreed its when their personality is so annoying that you can't / won't listen to that person any more that when you hear them speak you hate their accent

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

simu wrote:
    Yore ma's accent.

But seriously, I find it's the personality more than the accent that annoys me in a person tbh.

You mean the kind of person who refers to someone else's mother in a conversation ?

I find it quite easy to think of accents I like but much more challenging to think of one I don't like and why. Generally nasal (American) or harsher (Norn Iron) accents are rougher on the ear and therefore not as pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Inner city scumbag accents do my head in, take your pick, Dublin, Cork, Galway... "waaaahhhh, whad ya lukin ad... gis a fag" You know that one!!

But the worst has to be the one on British soaps, don't know where they are set but the Cornation Street and Eastenders one cut right through you... I'd rather sit and listen to someone scratching their nails on a blackboard while scraping their knife off their dinner plate for an hour... horrendous accents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

:D Ah your'e right there. Soap accents, terrible... How they throw them together as well. Aren't members of the same family supposed to have the same accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

When I read the title of the thread I thought you meant what part of England has the most annoying accent - has to be Birmingham! I really like the Liverpool accent for some reason.

Favourite of any is Scottish, unfortunately I don't know any guys with a Scottish accent... yet!

And least favourite of any is Texas/California accent. Mostly cause they draw words out for ages and I just feel like slapping them and telling them to hurry up and finish the sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I love cute chicks with Scottish or Welsh accents....or certain English accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

surely you have to be english to have an english accent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Shouldn't that just read ...
    SyxPak wrote:
    I love cute chicks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Being German myself I have often being blamed for this "tough" and harsh "Arnold Schwarzenegger" type of accent, although he is and really sounds austrian.

I worked with so many people from so many countries and I really think that "broken english spanish style" has to be the worst ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A brummie accent is hard to love.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I love the Birmingham accent, its brilliant. But my favourite accent has to the Wexfod accent, "How ya hun, its a quare nice day aint it", omg so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mancunian accent is tops but liam and noel do us no favours

Advertisement