Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - Plasma TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You most definitely inferred that due to your experience you knew more because none of the people you mentioned spoke of the tax laws as I had mentioned

That's a whole lot of words you're putting in my mouth (or text you're putting in my posts). I have recounted real-life experiences involving VAT and multiple EU Members, nothing more - take it, leave it, smoke it, etc...
    Either way you were paying the irish tax just unaware . It may be off main point of iteam of the thread but the main point that Ireland is the rip off when it is obviously not the case as proved by the UK price.

Well, so I may have been (paying IE VAT unbeknownst to me). Boo-hoo. I want a refund, etc, etc. Look, it's not as if I don't pay VAT on my fuel in Statoil or to EMO, on foodstuff and nappies in Superquinn, on CDs and DVDs in Golden Discs, etc, etc. Where you just glossing over the part of my post wherein I posted that I was paying VAT on domestic purchases? Or just suffering from a bad case of selective sight?
    I get the impression that if you were able to evade them you would.

Yes. Provided it was legal, of course. But it's not specific to IE - I'd evade them everywhere and anywhere I can, but rarely do so as legal ways of evading taxes are usually more expensive than what they could save, below a certain threshold of personal fortune.

I'm a stauch supporter of the work-to-live ethic. I paid my way to all of my (modest) estate, my postgrad qualifications, etc, etc. And no, that's not a 'class rant' - just pure and simple fact (and life philosophy, if you want) that if you want something, earn it.
    I am able to evade some tax and don't because I don't think it is right.

Does you credit, but having more money than sense does you not :p
    Avoiding tax is different but to put the irish economy at risk and pay another EU countries to save a few €s is sad and short sighted.

So I choose to pay VAT in France, the UK or Germany on a few books and a coupla CDs - I must admit I didn't know that I was putting the whole IE economy in mortal danger... I won't do it again, I promise. I've got all those millionaires and gazillionaires in County Dublin to care for (some of whom are happy to dodge taxes all they can and/or import cheaper labour from the EU), what was I thinking, OMG-OMG-OMG!!! :D :rolleyes: :p
    Just because you pay some taxes does not give your the right to evade taxes.It is a differnt view than yours not a stupid one. The differnce is paying your way is known as the moral thing to do while weasling out of taxes is known as the selfish thing to do. :rolleyes:

Now I'm starting to get ever-so-slightly p*ssed off. Are you just trolling for fun, or dense to the point of light bending around you? Again, where you just glossing over the part of my post wherein I posted that I was paying VAT on domestic purchases and all other usual taxes? Or just suffering from a bad case of selective sight?
    Do you complain about brown envolpes and corrupt deals of the past and maybe present?

Only to the extent that I didn't get one , it was before my time :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

ambro25 wrote:
    Now I'm starting to get ever-so-slightly p*ssed off. Are you just trolling for fun, or dense to the point of light bending around you? Again, where you just glossing over the part of my post wherein I posted that I was paying VAT on domestic purchases and all other usual taxes? Or just suffering from a bad case of selective sight?

Glad to see you managed to get that insult about density back in there. You really should never waste a clever retort if it can make you sound smart :cool:
    I have a different view to you accept it because it isn't going to change.
    Avoid your tax while you can they are changing the laws as it is seen as unfair and a domestic threat. If you don't understand how I suggest you look into it.

I am not hijacking the thread anymore I was just correcting an incorrect statement about EU tax law which you deffended due to ignorance of your own money. If the tax you pay is so important you think you would know about it and when you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I have a different view to you accept it because it isn't going to change.

I don't think that I criticized your view. Namely, I asked for sources for your points about IE VAT. Period.
    Avoid your tax while you can

To the risk of boring the thread readers, can I emphasize in large font (to overcome your severe reading impairment) and for the n-th time that I do not avoid taxes.
    they are changing the laws as it is seen as unfair and a domestic threat.

Who is 'they'? The IE gvt? the EU? Ah, grand thing the EU, eh? While it did quite a bit to get the IE economy out of the quagmire it had been in for decades, turns out it's a bit of a nuisance on the flip side when it sometimes puts a bar across the spokes of the 'ole Rip Off wheel with that "free movement of goods" affair, now that a lot more IE people have money to burn...
    I was just correcting an incorrect statement about EU tax law which you deffended due to ignorance of your own money. If the tax you pay is so important you think you would know about it and when you are paying.

Whatever :rolleyes:

PS - I know enough not to pay VAT on (some) Amazon purchases, though - 'tad more than you in that specific instance ;):D
    I am not hijacking the thread anymore

Same-o. 'Tis been fun, all the same :D

Oh and Maxwell, good on you and keep 'em coming (I finally know where to get that Plasma now, cheaper and with lower VAT :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Quote:Oh and Maxwell, good on you and keep 'em coming (I finally know where to get that Plasma now, cheaper and with lower VAT )

Thanks - phew after all that regarding the VAT

.....all I wanted was for people to get the best deal!

Good luck to everyone!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Good to hear that Maxwell. And good to see you happily exercising your right to free movement of goods within the EU. (and thats not sarcasm).

We should all buy in German stores and pay our VAT there seeing as it is the Germans who were the largest net contributors during the days we were hoovering up structural funds.

We don't buy on other sites to avoid taxes. We do so to obtain better value for money and indeed sometimes for the choice, availability and possibility of getting solid technical info on the purchase. What's more if we do that in EU sites then we are doing something that is the cornerstone of the EU (and the EEC before that) and which our people happily signed up to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement