Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network Signal Question.

• 16-09-2005 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have set up a wireless lan at home. I have been able to set it up using WEP and all that so I am fairly happy with my progress so far.

I have used a net gear 5 in one router. the router has a built in Modem and firewall and it can also act as an access point.

Now the only issue I have noticed is that whenever I connect to it first I recieve a full strength connection of 54mbs. then gradually over the time span of an hour the signal decreases to around 26 and 18. It even went as low as 1mbs yesterday. However the connection still said it was a 'Very Good' connection even at 1mbs.

Now I am on the 3rd story of the bulding and the router is on the ground floor. However this is directly below me and is less that 30feet away.

Why is this happening? We still have not recieved broadband but that will change on Tuesday. Also I am currently waiting on my 2 housemates to set up their PC's so that they connect to the lan. So currently I am the only one that connects to it(For testing) and I have no BB.

Finally I brought my laptop down to the sitting room last saturday and connected to the network. It connected at approx 50mbps and consistently stayed at that level for 2 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Use iPerf to confirm the throughput.
    Move and connect another computer and test with that (This should confirm whether the router is the problem as it would seem)
    What make and model are the modem and client? (Compatibility issue? Also, what make is the router at home)
    Use netstumbler to check for the presence of other devices that may be interfering.
    Change the channels on the router+client +/- 2 and see whether there is a firmware upgrade for the router!
    Is there a power-saving option on the router?

Also.. have you tried a simple reset of the AP? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Hi Karoma,

I haven't used the modem but it is built into the router. the router is a Netgear DG834G Ver 2.0 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router

I will try those suggestions thanks. I have already tried moving my laptop and that did seem to make a difference. When I had it closer to the Router the signal didn't seem to fade.

I will try to do a firmware upgrade also.

I actuall meant to change the channels before posting but I totally forgot. I will doo all that as suggested and let you know the out come.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just piggyback on this one as some kind soul helped me here before.

I have a wireless setup at home and use my laptop through a router to broadcast the signal.

The problem is that the signal is very erratic. Sometimes it will maintain an excellent connection but will not load web pages etc. I find myself having to constantly "repair the connection" which is a real pain in the ass.

Coupled with this, the signal regularly drops to Very Good and Good. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this very irritating problem.

Thanks

Please post a new thread - as this will just get too messy.
    You're more than welcome to create a thread for any issue:)
    Edit: Please also include the full details (Make/Model) of NIC, Router,etc. and distance between them,etc.

Try setting the IP address manually (i.e. Not using DHCP)
    And if this still fails: move the client closer to the router for a while and see if the issue occurrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ok, just didnt want to make a new thread for what i deemed a very small/common question!

To be honest, I really dont want to change any of the IP address settings or anything of the like as I had a hell of a job getting the router working in the first place.

Thanks for the advice though. Ill try moving the lappy closer to the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

just to let people know dont upgrade ur linksyswrt54g to the latest fimwre (4.01.2) i think. ur wireless signal strength will go to crap

besty wrote:
    Ok, just didnt want to make a new thread for what i deemed a very small/common question!

My reasoning is this: Although it may be a simple issue that could be fixed easily and with minimum posts, there is always a more likely chance that it will lead to several posts - as such it can becometedious to scroll through a lot more posts than necessary (i.e. Another user/issue) and you may not get the help that you desire. Also, the O.P. may wish return to this thread to find that it's moved on significantly from his/her issue.

stuey wrote:
    just to let people know dont upgrade ur linksyswrt54g to the latest fimwre (4.01.2) i think. ur wireless signal strength will go to crap

If you downloaded an official firmware, and can cite other users/websites that note issue, then I would ask that you make a thread and post the information in there.

Advertisement