Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite Dublin Bus route

• 16-09-2005 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

note: I didn't put this in Dublin City forum cos it extends beyond the city :p I don't know what other forum I should use, so hopefully I'm right :(

Anywho, what's the most annoying bus route? Bus never shows up? Bus driver always a pr*ck? Full of scumbags? Never any seats?

I've recently discovered the 49, which I thought I'd take from Tallaght into town, since the 77A wasn't showing up. It takes a nice detour all the way up past Firhouse, to the Ballycullen road, and then back down. While I was on it, it didn't pick up or drop off ANYONE along there; so after 40 minutes on the bus, I was a 10 minute walk from my house, lol. grrg. Proper annoying. I managed to make it into my lecture only a couple of minutes late, though (for which I thank the 66X, I think it was... Passes through Nassau street to Belfield, anywho).

So do share your stories! And warnings, too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

84 or 7N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The 59. Was dreadfully superfluous from my point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not being in Dublin i must say the bus on the Paddy Brown Road down past the college route in Waterford is the best bus route ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Route 45. Top-deck always full of knackers. Luckily, most of the drivers look like hard bastards though, and aren't afraid to venture upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not being in Dublin i must say the bus on the Paddy Brown Road down past the college route in Waterford is the best bus route ever

That's nice, but we're talking about least favourite bus routes here....

What's the one that goes to Coolock/Darndale, that's full of animals alright. Bloody northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mossy Monk wrote:

Go way out of it would ya boy. Thats a shockin bus route. And drivers can be the most miserable bunch of lazy good for nuthins ever put on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

any bus to Tallaght,what a dump :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah kernel I think you're talking about the ****box that goes by the name of 27/I used to get that bus when i worked in Clonshaugh Industrial Estate.Bleak Times.A shiver still runs down my skinny spine whenever i see a 27 pass by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Father_Ted

Agree, a bus ride to Tallaght can get interesting but Tallaght it's self is not that bad. Their's a lot of places out their that deserve the name " dump " more then Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

210 76a or the 18 1st 2 from start to finish are the worst buses ever....

Iswear we left dublin at least 5 times on the 210.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

jonny68 wrote:
    any bus to Tallaght,what a dump :eek:

I agree, unfortunately I go to the dump of a "college" in that dump of a place, had to get the 75 up there every morning(or every morning that I did go in, which was approx. 1 in 10).Absolute knackers on the bus every day, with their ghettoblasters playing some absolutely sh1t dance music while they sat there and rolled spliffs...and then you had actual pikeys too, all equally annoying, all equally disgusting to even look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

46A's Probably the best. I'm never waiting more than 5 minutes for it, and it's hardly ever full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hmm I'd have to say the 66 or the 67a coming home to Maynooth from town at rush hour really makes me want to cry. Not only does it crawl up the quays, it then goes on a nice little slow detour round chapelizod. The worst part however is Lucan ugh I hate that it goes through there just takes so so so so so long to go a tiny distance.

However I love the 67X as it goes from Stephen's Green so it's 3 minutes from college and if I get the 20 past 5 one the driver's cool! Slightly insane but cool, he's really impatient so it takes ages off the journey and also the bus doesn't go through chapelizod or lucan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

rb_ie wrote:
    I agree, unfortunately I go to the dump of a "college" in that dump of a place, had to get the 75 up there every morning(or every morning that I did go in, which was approx. 1 in 10).Absolute knackers on the bus every day, with their ghettoblasters playing some absolutely sh1t dance music while they sat there and rolled spliffs...and then you had actual pikeys too, all equally annoying, all equally disgusting to even look at.

It's one thing the knackers smoking spliffs it's the scum smoking heroin that really digusts me,one time last year on the 77 bus some scumbag came down the back where i happened to be sitting and started to attempt to smoke that vile sh*t,i told him he had better go elsewhere and do that as i was not prepared to be near anyone taking that sh*t,after some heated words i told him in no uncertain terms that i would call the garda if he didn't fu*k off the bus,luckily for him he did,scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

76a or 51b always someone shouting abuse or smoking when ever i get that bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

11, most irregular bloody bus ever.

You'd end up waiting anything from 2 to 50 mins for it. And I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Nitelinks are always good for a laugh too, like the time I heard a hissing sound and lo and behold, a steady golden stream of piss trickling down the stairs, to form a reservoir of urine on the floor.... Ah, class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KevIRL wrote:
    Go way out of it would ya boy. Thats a shockin bus route. And drivers can be the most miserable bunch of lazy good for nuthins ever put on the planet

i must agree, they dont turn up half the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I hate the 75, it's so long and it's full or knacks going out to catch the dinner on the pier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the 40, 40A/C cos they are really sh!tty buses and always full of skangers who smoke, abuse other passengers and never pay. Then when it gets into Finglas the bus driver has to dodge the missiles being thrown at the bus. I also hate the 123 to Fairview as its a tiny IMP bus which is ALWAYS packed. Its so jammed you end up with your face in someones hair-very disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

The 75 is the most unreliable bus ever, closely followed by the 17. I had to direct the driver of the 15x to UCD this morning, he managed to take half an hour longer than it usually takes to get there and he crashed into the back of a pregnant woman's car in Rathmines. What a genius?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Got to go to the 77 or the 78A (This is the one from Aston Quay to Liffey Valley isn't it?). The 150 is the finest bus route (my stretch of it anyway), speedy, frequent and direct - a diffwent gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah i had to get the 17 a couple of times and i can tell you youd be quicker walking, while waiting for it.

i always wonder why the buses to tallagh are new, is it because they wreaked the old ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

27 for unpleasantness

17A for unreliability

Both buses that I have had to take regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

45, not a great service but the drivers are ****in wánkers, got soaked because the driver swerved to hit the puddle at the side of the road, and i'd no coat :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

Well the 77 can be dodge but only to people not used to it, scumbags from Tallaght are generally for show :D and if you know how to deal with them its grand.

As someone in UCD as well, I'm well used to it and contrasting it with the 10 is quite hilarious!

So yeah the 50/77/77A busroutes are pretty **** alright but not horrific. I've been on worse but only once or twice so cant really say.

I get the LUAS now though into town and then the 10 to UCD so life aint so bad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

any bus at around the time school ends. even when i was IN school this annoyed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Lived in Dublin for 12 years and the worst was the 18 [Palmerstown to Sandymount]. Used have to get it morning and evening. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The 76B or the 65 for sheer tedium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

all buses nackers on all routes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

number 17 the ghost bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

the 33 to skerries!! its super irregular and when it does show up it breaks down at the most inopportune times!! and way too often. plus its the only bus route that goes anywhere near rush/lusk!
    the drivers are usualy lovely though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The 220, never been on it but I wouldn't like to when I think of the people I used to see getting on it at my college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think the 145 bus route is great, cant stand the 7N or even the normal 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

The 39.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kernel wrote:
    Nitelinks are always good for a laugh too, like the time I heard a hissing sound and lo and behold, a steady golden stream of piss trickling down the stairs, to form a reservoir of urine on the floor.... Ah, class.
    only the finest modes of transport for the drunken ones.
    I remember waiting on one at college green about to go when I could see a young drunken chap get on the bus parked ahead of mine... he was also upstairs.
    He got a seat near the middle, and seamed fine. Then, just as the buses in front of him were pulling off, he must have realised he was on the wrong bus.
    Thinking he wouldnt have time to go downstairs, he went to the back emergency exit, opened the window, and jumped out!!
    I heard screams from my bus going "Jeeesusss! ya man jumped!!"... but he seemed fine and just ran to get his proper nitelink...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd be tempted to say the 18 'cause the one time I got it I was ridiculously overcharged, and after I requested that the driver tell me when a particular stop was coming off, he let me off at the wrong place.

I was on a 45 the other day that, while mostly empty, refused to stop at almost every stop. This was in my favour, being in a rush, but for a bus that comes erratically, I'd say the people are the stops were none too pleased.

The 46A is good because it's so often, but it goes all over the place. Takes ages to get into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

11, most irregular bloody bus ever.

You'd end up waiting anything from 2 to 50 mins for it. And I have.

Or maybe its extremly regular and comes every 50 mins.

The times you wait 2 minutes, you have probably arrived(at the bust stop) at that buses' time of 48 mins traveled.

The time you wait 50 minutes, you probably arrived(at the bus stop) at that buses' time of 0 minutes traveled.

It does make sense in my sleep deprived mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm spoiled for choice.
    I get the 75 and 17 to college... and the 49 home from town...
    *really should learn to drive...stupid Firhouse*
    56A is pretty horrific too... learned the hard way about its world tour of Kingswood one day when it was the first bus to come in town and I was in a hurry to get to work. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The buses to Tallaght are generally fine, and Tallaght itself is grand but...

That f**king bus route that takes you through Dolphin's Barn on your way to Tallaght is a goddamned death-trap. Seriously.

Can't remember what the number is, might be 56A. Or 49. I can never remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Without a shadow of a doubt, the 122 has got to be the worst bus route. It's unpredictable and you could be waiting half an hour for one. Then it goes on it's round the world trip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

65B during peak times..... hell on earth, goes about 2miles per hour..

78A at anytime.... Scum invested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Worst = 27B - the skanger box.
    Most unreliable = 17 / 17A, will it actually turn up? What route will it take.

Special mentions go out to the 220 (North Dublin Council estate tour bus, took it once - was supposed to go airport but I got turfed up in Central Ballymun), dirty-9 (makes the 38 seem pleasant) and the 103 (a bus route made entirely of right turnings, what a fantastic plan!)

Best busses are, IMHO: 11, 14, 16/A, 38A, 41/C/X, 46A/X, 58X and 123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The 27B isnt as bad as the 27, but since ive been getting the 27 everyday since primary school it just doesn't bother me anymore, and even though its dodgey its so regular i can't complain.
    The 27X is unreliable but just full of people in suits, i can actually sit down the back....safely.
    Yeah i agree that the 17A is the most unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I love the 27! Any bus that comes once every 7 mins is ok by me, no matter how dodgy it is.

The 27X on the other hand... awful, awful service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'll add my vote for the 27.. (think it's in the lead here at the moment!)

Full of scumbags, ignorant drivers who are as bad as the passengers, who don't know what a speedramp is intended for, unreliable, dirty... words fail me as to how bad this route actually is! (One of the VERY few decent drivers on this route once told me that it's considered a "problem route" by Clontarf so most of the decent drivers won't do it - leaving it to the dregs of the garage).

... closely followed by the 39 (or any of the Phibsboro/Harristown routes that serve the Blanch area). My record is still waiting 45 minutes for an inbound one (supposedly every 7 minutes), while 14!!! passed in the other direction. Rang the depot to get the usual don't-give-a-damn/ah-sure-it'll-be-grand attitude that infests every (semi) state run company/body in this country. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

cant believe no ones mentioned the 13/13A - all you DCU heads know exactly what i'm on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Used to have to get this bus when I went to Colaiste Dhulaigh. *shudder* NEVER go upstairs!!! I hated that bus so much...so so much. In the wind and the rain waiting for a bus to get another bus home with a big portfolio case. awful awful awful. And it would never come...and then 3 buses going in the opposite direction. Bastards!! Even the bus driver would be having a puff on a fag!!! :rolleyes:

No one's mentioned the 79? :eek:

Yeah I also agree with the 13, 76a and 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

The 49. Im sure it passes by my house in kilkenny on the way to Tallaght.

• Advertisement
Advertisement