Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite Dublin Bus route

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Route 45: my arch Nemesis... used to get that bus home from school.. but there's no bus lane at all so it gets stuck in traffic so badly.. can remember waiting 50 mins for it once... and 7 '7' buses went by during that time... argh.. hate it hate it hate it.. of course, any bus that goes to or through cabinteely has turned crap.. so I have to wait for 30 minutes on average for one to come along.. 46A is the best I'd say.. though it involves a long walk home for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

any nightlink. except for the occasional sing along or bit of light entertainment. what i don't understand about the nightlinks is why the fook don't they go the same routes as the day buses.

e.g. 70->dunboyne
    70N->castleknock

this has to be done just for the craic.

i had a really good experience on a nightlink once. got on a 39N and I wasn't sure if it went to blanchardstown for the retarded reason mentioned above so i asked the driver. i then lay down on the back seat and went into a drunken daze until some guy who'd been sent up by the driver told me we were in blanch. nice guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Azureus wrote:
    the 33 to skerries!! its super irregular and when it does show up it breaks down at the most inopportune times!! and way too often. plus its the only bus route that goes anywhere near rush/lusk!
    the drivers are usualy lovely though :D

yep i'd go for the 33.....the bloody things are supposed to go all the way to balbriggan which is about 10 mins from skerries (€10 in a taxi) but half of them only stop at skerries and most of the early morning ones to town only leave from skerries. and they're always late!

its a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

whats the craic with the 27 bashing, im on it morning noon and night,

like fair enough the area its going through is a bit bogey but i've ben on the bus since i moved into clare hall 'bout 7 years now, and i havent got so much as a wrong look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

The 42A I get to work.Wrong times for me to get their and back so I get the Dart now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I nominate the number 25 bus route.....
    First of all- since all those new housing estates were built in "South Lucan", Dublin Bus decided to upgrade the service to them at the expense of buses to the village itself. I think there are 8 schedulded buses per day to Lucan village (apart from the buses to Maynooth/Celbridge, some of which also go through the village).
    The 25 bus route's newest bus is a 99 reg bus, and it actually still has a 92 reg, a 13 year old bus, in service.
    These buses obviously are very run down, both mechanically and also in decor (with broken seats, no working bells, grafitti and a stench like rotting carrion.....)

A few weeks ago the bus broke down going up Chapel hill (in Lucan village) and were all asked to disembark. The driver said another bus was on its way. Like hell...... After waiting a half hour- I rang Conyngham Road Garage wondering what the story was- the driver had not reported the bus broken down at all, much less ordered a replacement vehicle. The controller kindly got a 66A to pull in for me and the 40 odd (and pissed off) passengers were able to board.

On another occasion I was about 10 minutes early for the 7.15AM bus- which I normally take to work. After a half hour, the 12 passengers at the bus stop were wondering what was happening. I rang Conyngham road again. The bus driver was out with the Flu, and they had unilaterly decided not to send out a replacement driver. We all walked to the 66 bus stop at the other end of Lucan and en-route collected an addition 34 passengers from the other bus stops earlier in the route to whom we conveyed the good news.......

On a further occasion the driver allowed more passengers to board the bus than it could carry- and instead of starting a riot by kicking people off- he decided to drive off with the doors open. This was fine until we got to the M50/N4 round-about. For some reason the driver got pissed off and decided to go around the round-about at high speed, while opening and closing the doors. I was flung from the front door and only kept from being in a nasty accident by grabbing the door handle as it closed (on my arms). I rang Conyngham Road and reported the driver (once I had gotten off the bus) and walked in Lucan Garda Barracks and made an official complaint. An inspector rang me in work two days later for a detailed account of what had happened, but I never received any feedback on what had happened- nor followup to my complaint.

On a further occasion I was on the 25 when it was involved in a 5 vehicle pile-up on Conyngham road- just after the gate to the Phoenix park (past Chapelizod). There were many people hurt- there were 4 ambulances called to the scene. One of the CIE inspectors was called to the scene to take statements from witnesses. Myself and my girlfriend were with the bus driver trying to calm him down- he was not at fault but was quite distraught. We gave statements to the inspector and also showed him how the driver had done his utmost to minimise casualties on the bus. When it was obvious that we were genuine- and were giving accurate information- the inspector organised that the next out of service bus going past would stop for us- and we got a personalised chaffuered bus all of our own.....

I just don't get Dublin bus........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dunno what people's problems with the Nightlinks are, I've always found them to be excellent. The routes are different because they have to cover more of the city with less busses, and since there's less traffic, a long route is less of a problem.

Personally, I always find them to be great craic, there's always someone interesting to talk to, and usually great craic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Actually the only bus accident I've ever been in was on the 46A... was on one last year coming from Stillorgan into town. The bus was pulling back onto the Stillorgan dual carriageway from the village (near Oatlands) when the driver didn't notice a truck parked right at the corner (part of roadworks). Something sticking out the back of the truck took out all the windows downstairs on the left-hand side:eek:
    Thankfully nobody was sitting downstairs, but it was still freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Has to be the 11 ! Most unreliable , and slow service ive ever been on, mainly due to no bus lanes, but the excuses!

Most common excuse: "Oh,oh,mmmmm,oh, mmm family emergency i heard, mmmm, yeah OR " Get back behind that yellow line!"

AND NEVER BELIEVE A BUS DRIVER WHEN HE SAYS YOUR BUS IS 5MINS BEHIND HIM! :mad0:

Oh, and i hate number 84 buses with a passion, because im a cyclist, and they try to intimidate me, fill me up with fumes, and run me over! :eek: Grrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

I hate the 46A because I'm always standing there for half an hour and then 3 in a row come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lemlin wrote:
    The 220, never been on it but I wouldn't like to when I think of the people I used to see getting on it at my college.

Where are you? ITB?

I use to get the 220 and never had any problems on it. But then ITB started having a load of scum going to it.

It still has less scum on it then the 39 (i think) that goes from the centre to town.

Also i hate the 103.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

the 70 isnt that bad!
    i hate the 27b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The 18s are a joke - people dance with impatience at the bus stop, only for two and three to follow each other in rapid succession. I can't imagine why anyone would rely on the 18 to get to work.

The 16 and 16A routes seem to have a schedule different from that advertised; I've waited for three-quarters of an hour on the way into town around 4pm to 5.30pm when there should be around six of them, and ended up getting taxis.

The 83 is supposed to come like clockwork every 15 minutes during most of the day - well, their clocks must be broken. This is an odd route - for a while, they really had it together. They had Imps on the route, and they arrived every seven minutes. People *loved* them. And they had the 10-journey tickets, so loading in passengers took no time - everyone had a ticket and hopped straight on.

But the drivers hated the Imps, because the cabs got hot and miserable and stuffy. So instead of looking for an Imp-sized bus with a nice cab, they put on double-deckers, which couldn't nip through the traffic like the Imps. So now the 83 crawls along as it used to before they temporarily got it right.

In general, though, there's a lack of professionalism in the whole attitude of the bus service to its customers. It permeates the whole service. No independent inspectors (the inspectors are all promoted from being drivers), nothing but excuses if buses are late or missing.

When are we going to introduce competition? If commuters could desert, say, the 16 route if a more efficient competitor was running the 16A, we'd soon see a bit of sharpening up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Ray777 wrote:
    Route 45. Top-deck always full of knackers. Luckily, most of the drivers look like hard bastards though, and aren't afraid to venture upstairs.
    Please Ray, this is my route!
    Since the 145 came on stream, most of our scumbags get that (leisureplex) and we are left with our own! As for the upper saloon - every man for himself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I hate the 45A, cos it's always full of skangers both ways - it goes through Sallynoggin, Ballybrack and Shankill so I guess it's to be expected. In terms of long waiting I hate the 84 - it never comes when it's supposed to!

Have to say the 84 is a bit of a lost cause at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

38's a bit **** because its so slow, but very few knackers on it IMHO - almost all foreigners. Which isn't usually a problem, except when some Romanian woman with pram tries to blag her way past the driver without paying.

38A, on the other hand, is a suberb service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jamiecake wrote:
    78A at anytime.... Scum invested

I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. Thank God somebody mentioned this route. Anytime I've been on it almost everyone (over the age of 13) in the upper deck has been engaging in one form of illegal drugs or another. Scumbags smoking hash in front of their kids.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Yeah whenever i was waiting for the 70 its never more then a few minutes late which was rare...i would know that well but whenever i got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to commuting / transport

Sorry it took so long :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's ok :)

*big hug*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

The 39 has the most roundabout route ever, and the last time I got it took about 1 hr 20 minutes to get into town, which is pretty pathetic considering that blanch cant be more than around 10 miles from the city centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The 76A without a shadow of a doubt. Slow, very indirect and horribly infrequent (no Sunday service). The 76A has the dubious honour of being the only Dublin Bus route that uses the West-Link and it has to sit in all that traffic too-no bus lanes on the M50!!!

In any other country a bus that 'connects' such things as the three largest shopping centres in Ireland would be substantially better than the excuse for a service that the 76A is.

It's also full of scum, especially upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

The 11C. Never been on one, but when you've been waiting for half an hour for the 7.30 No.11 and then the 11C rounds the junction... :mad: :mad:

That morning 11c (extra bus) has been cancelled now due to O/T cutbacks.
    It was only ever intended to clear the road for the next 11. ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Larianne wrote:
    Used to have to get this bus when I went to Colaiste Dhulaigh. *shudder* NEVER go upstairs!!! I hated that bus so much...so so much. In the wind and the rain waiting for a bus to get another bus home with a big portfolio case. awful awful awful. And it would never come...and then 3 buses going in the opposite direction. Bastards!! Even the bus driver would be having a puff on a fag!!! :rolleyes:

you should see the 111, one of the drivers rolls his smokes while driving,

and another stops in the shops in sally noggin to buy bread, ( i swear to god)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No.18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

17A, where the timetable is pure fiction and the bus stops are designed to be at least 100 yards from any form of shelter.

27 and 78A for the wildlife.

From a driving side.
    17, 18, 75 and anything similar that gets nowhere quick and has too many junctions and a timetable written by the likes of Stephen King!

Advertisement