Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No fault"... when there clearly is!

Options
  • 16-09-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may remember my threads about getting a refund from Aldi on a laptop I bought there and buying a new Acer one from MicroAid.ie which had a fault with the sound dropping out.

I bought the Acer from MicroAid around the 5th of August and reported the problem to Acer on the 9th or so. It took me a while to get around to arranging them to pick it up but they did last week and I rang them today, when it should have been returned, to see what the story was.

I just got a call back saying that it's on its way back to me with.. "no fault found". I knewwww that was going to happen. I explained (even made a desktop background explaining) the problem with the sound as much as I could have. So the engineers found no fault and are sending it back "unrepaired" due to there being no fault after a diagnosis.

Now 28 days is long up. MicroAid said they need confirmation from Acer that the laptop is faulty before they can give me a refund. Acer have found no fault so basically I'm getting back a laptop with a definite problem.

I was asking the guy on the phone what can I do. He said he'll give me a call Monday evening (it's supposed to be back monday some time) to see if I can still find fault with it, if so, I will have to send it back.. again.. to the same engineers asking them to pay "special attention" to it. So I'll probably be without my laptop for another 2 weeks or so.

Where do I stand does anyone know? I want to just tell them where to go and get my money back but I don't think I can. I also asked what's the story if I refuse to take it back and he said something like it will go back to their store until I'm prepared to take it back, something along them lines anyway.

Any advice pleeease!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well to start with they will have a record of your complaints. Don't forget that you should have a year long warranty with the unit and not 28 days. Again, these things oncethey look like they are getting messy it is best to put everything in writing and keep a diary of exchanges. I think you need to clearly document and explain the sound drop out issue especially if its intermittant. MicroAid can't walk away from you if its a warranty issue. Unfortunately, they won't do anything about the fact that you are laptop-less for 2 weeks.

What is the problem with the sound anyway?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

try get a independent assessment before you send it back,this will help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I still have the emails that were sent but that's about it. Who could I get to give it an independant assessment to help my case? this will cost I presume :confused:

Well I got it back today anyway, they reformated my HD, which there was no need to do :mad: and they also put a few dents on the lid :mad: :mad: As well as that, the sound is still the same, still faulty.

Should I return it to Acer or should I go to MicroAid? At this stage I'd really just prefer to get my money back and go and get ANOTHER new one, sooo annoying.

So would I have a case with this for the small claims court or would it be a waste of time going there IF Acer/MicroAid don't sort me out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I remember your problem with ALDI before, I advised you that you had the 'Small Claim's Court option' but you ignored my advice, once again hold on too the faulty product, which should be fit for the purpose for which it is intended, under the 'sale of goods act's'.

Then go to the small claim's court,who will first write to the shop informing them that you intend taking them before the Court, giving them an opportunity to give you a 'full cash refund' or replace your laptop with a brand new 'still in the unopened box' one, if you are prepared to accept that.

P.

• Advertisement

Hi Paddy, thanks for the reply, I read and took notice of each and every reply in the Aldi thread, thankfully I didn't need to go to all that trouble and within 20 seconds of walking into Aldi, I had my cash back, and this was after about 8 months :eek:

I mentioned the SCC to MicroAid. They are trying to help but if it's unsatisfactory, I will go to the SCC as a last resort. Everyone has been very helpful and I don't like to break good relationships unless totally necessary.

Advertisement