Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room numbers and the like

Options
  • 16-09-2005 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

Hotel room numbers, different types of Airbus etc.

Do you pronounce room 256 as deux-cinq-six or deux cent cinquante six?

Is the new super jumbo the Airbus troix-cent-quatre-vingt or the troix-huit-zero? (or troix quatre-vingt as we'd call it in English)

etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

it's deux cent cinquante six for 256.

the second one is either troix cent quatre vingt or troix quatre-vingt.

i think it's similar to years, for example, for 1920 they might say either mille neuf cent vingt or dix-neuf vingt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

For the airbus I would say trois quatre-vingt, because we don't say three hundred and eighty for it in English, we say three eighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

penexpers wrote:
    For the airbus I would say trois quatre-vingt, because we don't say three hundred and eighty for it in English, we say three eighty.

I think it's trois cents quatre-vingt actually - the fact that something is said a specific way in English does not imply that the same structure is used in French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

Calina wrote:
    I think it's trois cents quatre-vingt actually - the fact that something is said a specific way in English does not imply that the same structure is used in French.

yes, that is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

we say "l'A trois cents quatre-vingts"

for a hotel room we prononce the number completly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement