Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Freshers week rumour?

Options
  • 16-09-2005 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Is it true that reps from different societies give you shots of stuff in an attempt to get you locked so you'll join their societies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Sadly, no. AFAIK the societies can't use drink's promotions to gain membership.

They will, however, offer you a load of sh!te pizza, ice cream etc. If you want my advice, as someone who fell for these fiendish ploys as a naive 1st year last year, don't join any of the major societies. eg. L&H, B&L, C&E..... etc.

I didn't join any worthwhile societies last year. I believe Dramsoc is good craic if you're into that sort of thing. I'm going to join the juggling society since I just picked it up. That's one I can see myself getting something out of. Also, I hear good things about the rifle club. Can't comment on many others I'm afraid, though I'm certain others here will inform you. Netsoc maybe, they offer a few perks. Is it Syco who's invovled with that?

Of course, how could I forget Brazilain Zhoo Zhitsu!!*

*Shameless ploy, I know. Great club none-the-less!

Which club would this be? I'm in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just a question: do we have lectures during Freshers week? What else happens besides the socs and clubs sign people up? Cos that would take me a couple of hours to sign up for what I want, then I'd have the rest of the week free, lol... I don't geddit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

ok, C&E and B&L are ents socs, which means if you dont like partying in the more D4-ish clubs there is no real point joining. L&H and Lawsoc are debating socs, which means they have some nights out but mainly get celebs into their high profile debates and also run regular debates between students and run competitions etc. Personally, i think you cant go wrong joining the big societies. you hand over 2euro and get a goody bag worth about 10euro plus a membership card which can save you money or get you in free to loadsa clubs around dublin city and the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

You still have lectures i'm afriad!
    Some of the lecturers are cool enough not to cover too much in the course during freshers week, but alas some are cnuts & are personally offended if you don't turn up.

There are event on for most of the week.
    Drinking games, iron stomach, pool competitions (i think) & debates n stuff.

You'll be kept busy if you throw yourself into it.

Ps. Were you there yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

....... and to sum things up Freshers Week is a load of overrated crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ps. Were you there yesterday?

At the boards beers? Nah, I was feeling a bit crap, to be honest, so I just went home; was in bed by 10.30 :p:o But I stayed up until 12.30 watching 2 episodes of 'Long Way Round'(got the DVD the other day), so I'm not comPLETELY sad! :D:o Ok I am :(

I'm also only 17, so I don't know if I'd get in/get served in the bar :(

I may come to the next beers, I don't really wanna go on my own though, so I'll try make a friend before then :p lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

There's no bother gettin served in the bar.
    Don't worry bout it.
    It's only sometimes that they bother asking at the door for id but i think they still let you in if you've the underage bar on your id.
    Tis the student 'club' anyway, you dont have have to be drinking as far as they know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

The drink comps are great. The one outside the fresher tent last year was good.

• Advertisement

....... and to sum things up Freshers Week is a load of overrated crap.

Always the optimist eh?

Advertisement