Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Of The Worlds

• 16-09-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

And no im not talking about the movie,
    Im talking about Jeff Wayne's musical version of War Of The Worlds.

I've only started listening to this recently and it tells a great story(the only thing it has in common with the movie is that it involves big mechanical aliens that look like spyders).
    The music is great aswell,even if it is a bit cheesy at times.

What do other people think of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its a classic......

Story, music, everything about it is original...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It was the fashion, among some of my friends, to get stupendously stoned to it, in our youth. Some cool tunes on it alright. Richard Burton narrating too, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

wow i love that thing ive been listening to it on vinyl lately theres so many cool parts especially to main theme... I WANT A HARPSICORD haha

o and the phil linnot parts are deadly aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have it on vinyl and cd. I was brought up listening to it as a child-the first piece of vinyl I owned. Its classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I love Brave new world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The synth sound they use whenever the martians are around (weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooow wahhhhooooo ;) ) still gives me the willies, they should've used it somewhere in the film to scare the **** out of us folk of a certain generation :p

There was an article about the creation of the soundtrack (and the skill involved behind it and the amazing technological innovation what went into the most of it) in a recent issue of Sound On Sound magazine. If you know any sound engineers ask them for a read, they should have the magazine. Very interesting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I remember in school they made us do some kind of expression dance thing to the bit when the cylider opens. Never forget the sound of it.

Was so desperte to see the new movie, was very very disappointed. Just got the new 5.a version of it. Still sounds so spooky.

I remember in school they made us do some kind of expression dance thing to the bit when the cylider opens. Never forget the sound of it.

Was so desperte to see the new movie, was very very disappointed. Just got the new 5.a version of it. Still sounds so spooky.
    theres a 5.1 version? seriously? whoa thats so cool link me pleeeease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Love it! first heard it when i was a kid and still go back to it now and then.Forever Autumn is a great song.The whole album is really atmospheric and Richard Burton adds something special as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'm not so sure. There's no doubt that the music is amazing, and Richard Burton and Phil Lynott are in not a bad thing to say about that, and there are some seriously cool synth sounds and stuff on it, but I can't help but feel it goes on a bit. The tracks are too long.

Thunder Child and Brave New World are cool tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

what an excellent musical. some of the guitar solos/effects are awesome, plus the aliens....ooooooolllaaaaaa!!!!

UUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! haha so cool.. as opposed to *honk* in the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bought the 5.1 version of this when it came out there a few months a go (to coincide with the release of the movie) and the quality simply blows me away! A billion times better then listening to it through a stereo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Beekay wrote:
    And no im not talking about the movie,
    Im talking about Jeff Wayne's musical version of War Of The Worlds.

I've only started listening to this recently and it tells a great story(the only thing it has in common with the movie is that it involves big mechanical aliens that look like spyders).
    The music is great aswell,even if it is a bit cheesy at times.

What do other people think of it.

Is the character Ogilvy not in Jeff Waynes version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Steoob wrote:
    UUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! haha so cool.. as opposed to *honk* in the film

I think it's *honk* in the original book, though. Please correct me if it ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Would i be correct in saying that Phil Lynnot is in it cos i hav one with phil in it and as far as i can remember he plays a priest or sumtin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Would i be correct in saying that Phil Lynnot is in it cos i hav one with phil in it and as far as i can remember he plays a priest or sumtin.
    Yeah he is,its a really good performance aswell

Advertisement