Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Desecration of Roisins

Options
  • 16-09-2005 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Anyone read about the proposals to expand roisins?

One of the last decent relaxed spots to have a drink and soak up some decent atmosphere, and its going to be converted into some souless superpub!!! :(

If it becomes one of those pubs where they have cleared out the tables so they can squeeze more standing bodies in, it'll be a sad day in Galway. Then again, if its full of snugs and cubbyholes and tables as per existing bar , might still be decent.

Anyone got the inside track on the plans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Dundhoone wrote:

Get on down to the planning office. They'll have a copy of the planning application, which everyone is entitled to view. Hell, if you feel so strongly about it you could even lodge an objection. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The worst crime so far is when they turned Taylors, one of the best spots for a few pints and excellent music, into a strip joint! :mad: Dominic street is turning into a "red light district"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hopefully their expansion will mean just mean more space in the pub and won't change the atmosphere.

I'm still having trouble getting used to the wide door - I *enjoyed* the squeeze out and in past people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

they are moving eden from the warwick to roisins.is it becoming a club!!?!??!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It could be an awful mangling of a great pub, but as far as I know, it's simply to extend the live venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

is it not strange brew that they are moving? i know thats closed now in the warwick and i figure gugai still wants to dj somewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well what was the thing on thurs night called,i think it's that they are moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah that was strange brew!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dundhoone wrote:
    Anyone read about the proposals to expand roisins?

One of the last decent relaxed spots to have a drink and soak up some decent atmosphere, and its going to be converted into some souless superpub!!! :(

If it becomes one of those pubs where they have cleared out the tables so they can squeeze more standing bodies in, it'll be a sad day in Galway. Then again, if its full of snugs and cubbyholes and tables as per existing bar , might still be decent.

The snug near the pillar on the let as you walk in the front is gone, replaced with a small round high table.

I was at the strangler's last night, twas excellent. Was a bit perturbed by the Underworld store across the street. Why didn't anyone tell me they had opened? It's practically on my doorstep.

I was there for John Martyn, brill

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    The snug near the pillar on the let as you walk in the front is gone, replaced with a small round high table.

It's moved to the corner, up against the street

TBH, I like the new layout much better. Hopefully it'll be better for watching the bands - was always too crowded by the pillar in the inner bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

danniemcq wrote:
    is it not strange brew that they are moving? i know thats closed now in the warwick and i figure gugai still wants to dj somewhere
    That's good and bad. good 'cos it's gugai but bad 'cos it feels like the good music is getting cornered in Galway.
    I suppose being cornered back west doesnt sound too bad especially since I spent two night in Halo this weekend, the ladies looked good but that's about the only nice thing I can say about them.

I thought gugai was moving back to liquid but now I hear that Oasis is back there, does anyone know what's the craic with that place now?

Halo has so much potential if they put in some good music. The light blocks on the wall are highly entertaining, particularly when I'm in a certain mood. The music and some of the current clientele leave alot to be desired.

I've been in there twice, so I'm hardly an authority on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

SyxPak wrote:
    The light blocks on the wall are highly entertaining, particularly when I'm in a certain mood. The music and some of the current clientele leave alot to be desired.

I've been in there twice, so I'm hardly an authority on the place.

Just stay at home, slap on milkdrop and some decent music. No point in spending €13 into Halo when you're in that certain mood (and it's not like you'll be mad to talk to people anyway). Or you could do the non-techie version by taking a trip to the headshop and then spend the night entertained by everything and anything

Roisin's clientele are very cool, had a good night enetertaining 3 friendly swedish girls there about 2 months ago, it's a pity my cousin who normally does the nightclub thing got horribly wasted and chased them away. The people seem more approachable/not up themselves kinda vibe. It would be terrible to see Roisin's violated by the superpub virus but I'm guessing that the more superpubs we get, the more customers Roisin's will get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

It's pretty obvious that the roisin dubh is changing for the better... Think back a few months [?] to before Gugai and co. took over. They've built a pretty decent rep there and haven't done anything too drastic. Just becasue many Venues have gone under [have you been in the GPO recently?], don't go fore-dooming the ol' girl yet! So what if they're expanding... this prosophobic panic is completely unwarranted. Is nobody at least excited about the prospects of a bigger CLASS venue in town... and right outside my door too!

E

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

It's pretty obvious that the roisin dubh is changing for the better... Think back a few months [?] to before Gugai and co. took over. They've built a pretty decent rep there and haven't done anything too drastic. Just becasue many Venues have gone under [have you been in the GPO recently?], don't go fore-dooming the ol' girl yet! So what if they're expanding... this prosophobic panic is completely unwarranted. Is nobody at least excited about the prospects of a bigger CLASS venue in town... and right outside my door too!

E

In case any of you didn't realise. The GPO got sh1t when it changed hands. Guess where the old owners went...... That's right they bought Roisins. Since the dance music thing spilt off in all directions and rebounded back to guitar bands and haircuts and all that I guess they saw a chance rejigging Roisins. To be perfectly honest the place had gone to pot. It was basically the Quays or Cellar with terrible cover bands every night. I'm grateful someone is getting decent bands and acts of all kinds into Galway. You can head in the back of Roisins most nights of the week and see something different for a tenner or less. Fair play to them say I !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

The worst crime so far is when they turned Taylors, one of the best spots for a few pints and excellent music, into a strip joint!

Ahhh..... Sunday morning comedowns and the guiness there had propertys rivaling good hash. I haven't been in since, but apparently the bar itself was listed, so the interior is still intact but they stained it black. All I can wonder is what sort of philistine idiot decided destroying it into a sleezy ****hole was a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

I would have responded to this thread sooner, but the moderators banned me during the summer for posting a list of upcoming shows in the gigs section :confused:

anyway, Roisin Dubh is not being turned into a soulless superpub, we are simply making the venue downstairs a bit bigger, and better, adding a disability access toilet, a cloakroom, knocking the skanky old toilets and putting them upstairs along with a new bar. will be wonderful.

better go before i get banned again. thanks for the support.

www.roisindubh.net
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Downstairs?
    Eh?
    I haven't been in there for about two months, but since when is there a lower or upper level in there? I can only presume there's a stairs leading somewhere in the back of the back bar, but .... Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

who cares man,gugai good job with the original acts thing and getting the big acts in Galway it needed it badly,looking forward to the upstairs venue been setup too i know lads that are queing up to play but there's a queue of 6 months,hopefully this will change that:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 seaghan

One thing about Róisín's - the sound there is top class. At the GGuggenheim Grotto last Sunday and they were excellent. Rósisín was fully, but not sardined - so it was very comfortable and friendly as usual. Great gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Eden is a gay club.

First thing I've heard about Eden moving anywhere....you might need to check that out. Now that the work is almost done, finishing touches need to be done, photos back up, new floor in the front bar, fireplace back in the front bar, fixing small bits and pieces.........

Anyway - hope that the people who came there all the time like what we've done with the place, because it was because of them that we wanted to do it. I feel that while the venue is bigger, it's finally a venue, and as many people have said to me, the first proper venue in the town. I have to admit, I love the way it has turned out, and there's great shows coming up. The sound is better, there's more room, everyone can see the stage, and there's room to dance. The new bar upstairs is lovely (check out the papers from 1940 we found when we knocked the old apartments.....) and the roof is great also.
    anyway, good night all.

The space is appreciated, the walls just look a bit bare during the renovations.

Throw up some fabric/material or similar - I *think* it would break up flat surfaces and do good stuff to the sound (less high-end reflections?).

Any word on a "Done when it's done" date?
    'Launch' party?

SyxPak wrote:
    The space is appreciated, the walls just look a bit bare during the renovations.

Throw up some fabric/material or similar - I *think* it would break up flat surfaces and do good stuff to the sound (less high-end reflections?).

Any word on a "Done when it's done" date?
    'Launch' party?

Done is never done :rolleyes:
    Strange Brew has its 200th night on September 28th. Let's say we're close then ;)

*takes note*

Advertisement