Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2, episode 9: "Flight of the Pheonix"

• 17-09-2005 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I'm just waiting for Pegasus, personally -_-

How was tonight's Galactica? 38 votes

It was amazing!
    0% 0 votes
    It was great!
    23% 9 votes
    It was okay...
    50% 19 votes
    It was crap!
    23% 9 votes
    I'd rather watch Andromeda!
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

decent enough episode, I watched it chunks thuogh, so I'll have to give it another look.
    If you don't get a lump in your throat when they present the new ship to the pres...then you must be a cylon ;)

That was pretty cool in the space battle when you see the Cylon raider being sliced in half and its guts spill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Fenster wrote:
    I'm just waiting for Pegasus, personally -_-

oh cool ! thats next week, Michelle Forbes (Lt.Ro from the next generation is in it)..can't wait to see the trailer on the site... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fantastic episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

2 votes for "Amazing", one from Fenster, that much is predictable. What's the betting the other one is from coy0te, even though he hasn't seen it yet :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was that great to be honest. Felt like a rehash of Voyager's "delta flyer" episode in the same way that last week's episode felt like a rehash of Baylon 5's "the illusion of truth", though last week's episode was a lot better.

And from a pointless deconstruction point of view, what's that thing about cylons have to slash their wrists in order to access I/O ports? So glad I don't have to do that when I plug my pendrive into my PC. The whole "I won't die when I test fly this thing because it's built on the crew's spirit and convictions" thing was a bit hackneyed. I mean try testing it on a planet first, or even test it in vacuum room to make sure the thing doesn't depressurise.

I mean I've always thought that they couldn't go on with endless grittiness forever, the crew had to cave sometime. I just didn't think an episode devoted to building a hopemobile was the way to go as regards building hope for the crew.

Hey, some liked it, some didn't :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Great epeisode with enough plot, drama and a kick ass space sequence to apeal to almost everyone :) The whole cyclon interface was a tad overboard but seeing Dee in gym wear more than made up for it :D Roll on next week lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

good ep but a few questions

1) whats up with dee and apollo?
    2) where did they get all the carbon composite for the ship?
    3) how the hell did they build & test a ship soo fast?
    4) why didnt they salvage at least some of the 100's of cylon ships for parts?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

madrab wrote:
    good ep but a few questions
    1) whats up with dee and apollo?
    I think it's more to do with Apollo tbh. He's getting nada from Starbuck.
    2) where did they get all the carbon composite for the ship?
    They were looking for metal, not carbon composite. Guess they had stacks of the stuff lying around :E
    3) how the hell did they build & test a ship soo fast?
    Well, we're not given a timeframe that it took place in, plus a lot of people were working on it by the end.
    Are you a Cylon? :O
    I'd say the risks outweighed the rewards, the b*stards could have woken up for all they knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

madrab wrote:

That wrecked my head so f00kin much; there they are scrambling for parts!
    I would stripped everything to pieces and built a whole new fleet of super cool vipers with them big ass nasty guns the Cylon infiltrator ships have on them..........see them run.

Dee and Apollo? Just noticed that she is fairly damn hot -no sexy six this week and Baltar acting quite sane?

On the whole Cylon fleet...
    Lets see what we know about them:

The cylons want/need Sharon's baby
    There is a Cylon fleet apparently trailing the Colonials
    Their interpretation of the Pythian gospel seemingly calls for Baltar and Sharon to live
    They've tried several times to destroy the Galactica, but not the Colonial fleet - the fact they were willing to hold off until Galactica was shut down, and the large amount of dropships in the attack force points them boarding and siezing Sharon by force
    Sharon has wholeheartedly betrayed the Cylons for her love of Helo. She mentioned they regard her as a dangerous renegade, but at the end of the last episode they seemed overjoyed that she was alive. Either she is being played for a dupe (and the Cylons are willing to sacrifice large amounts of their forces to ensure she lives), or there's factions within the Cylons.

That covers all of it, methinks. Discuss :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Stark wrote:
    2 votes for "Amazing", one from Fenster, that much is predictable. What's the betting the other one is from coy0te, even though he hasn't seen it yet :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was that great to be honest. Felt like a rehash of Voyager's "delta flyer" episode in the same way that last week's episode felt like a rehash of Baylon 5's "the illusion of truth", though last week's episode was a lot better.

God I hated the delta flyer "oh look it's got fins and levers"

I thought this episode wiped the floor of the entirity of Voyager. The frayed tempers, the exhaustion, the chief building the ship more reminded me of the stories that came out of Russia during the battle of stalingrad, people working day and night to build tanks and fighters, communities working overtime and giving the money to the war effort.

There was symbolism and a sense of community the delta flyer seemed like a lark and chuckle for the crew of Voyager, one of the many gay larks and adventures the merry crew of voyager got up to.

And from a pointless deconstruction point of view, what's that thing about cylons have to slash their wrists in order to access I/O ports? So glad I don't have to do that when I plug my pendrive into my PC. The whole "I won't die when I test fly this thing because it's built on the crew's spirit and convictions" thing was a bit hackneyed. I mean try testing it on a planet first, or even test it in vacuum room to make sure the thing doesn't depressurise.

I think life support wasn't the only issue, hoping the ship wouldn't blow up when they switch on the engine and y'know land. I felt Starbuck flying it made sense, she's supposed to be a mad as brush, damn the risks, kinda gal, whats that she says about her pilots "all I ask of them is to be crazy enough to follow me into combat"
    I mean I've always thought that they couldn't go on with endless grittiness forever, the crew had to cave sometime. I just didn't think an episode devoted to building a hopemobile was the way to go as regards building hope for the crew.

Its an interesting idea, they needed to do something to deal with the crew's reaction to each other, Healo and the Chief, Talia, the commander and Boomer, theres alot of history there that hadn't been resolved, I think the episode works tying up the lose ends, otherwise either you'd have to have several scenes worth of awkward moments between the Chief, Healo and the Talia, as they work through what they've done to each other, or you'd ignore it, which would be odd. This way they get to resolve a couple of outstanding character issues, have the crew in a slightly more solid shape, leaving us nicely set up for the Pegasus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The Pheonix will obviously be ear marked for a mission further down the road. Maybe another refinerly deal... but with a different objective.

Good to see some break down in the crew. It would be difficult for a crew to keep operating under constant fear of attack without needing a break sooner or later.

Being able to shut the cylon ships off was a bit odd. But good because turnabout is fair play!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A vote for "okay". It was actually "good" but since this poll continues to have "great" and "amazing" only above "okay" and, given they're too similiar, I had to vote the middle option and will continue to do so until I see change :)

I liked the frayed tempers at the start but I felt that the whole ship building thing, when everyone joined in, was a lleettle bit forced. It was a bit too much "together we can do anything!"

Sharon's interface was too much like something that I can't recall... And it was far too obvious that she would help them. Would've been much more interesting for her to betray them due to some infection from the virus herself.

Kudos to Mary McDonnell this week - thought she did a particularly smashing job this week as ProphetPrez.

Some nice scenes - liked the airlock bit, liked the space battles, just felt a little hackneyed in parts, something I've said about last week and other bits. But still "good" rather than "okay" but not "great".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mycroft wrote:
    .....I thought this episode wiped the floor of the entirity of Voyager. .......

LOL - 100% correct.
    I really enjoyed this one. I didn't feel it was hackneyed at all. Good, emotionally satisfying episode.
    Starbucks acting was very good this week I felt - better than usual anyhoo and el Prez's acting was also superb.
    The one thing I didn't like was Tigh shouting at Adama to shoot Sharon - that was a tinsey bit cliched. I think Tigh has a bit more cop-on than that actually.
    Now that I think of it, Sharon turning off the Cylons was a bit reminiscent of part two of Best of Both Worlds where Data puts the Borg to sleep - a bit too easy and a cop out.
    But I still thought it was a great ep. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Not a bad ep, i thought the ending especially with helo was a bit to fluffy and absolutely no sign of 6 what so ever....boo hiss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i really liked Gaida (sp?) fireing off at Tigh saying he was doing all he could, seemed like he had been bottling it in for ages

+ dee in her tight trackies was very nice too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I thought that was a very good episode. I didn't feel that Sharon switching off the Cylons was a cop out because if you think about it, this was the only choice for her.

The plan has always been for Sharon to get pregnant, for whatever reason. But now that she is, she doesn't want the other Cylons to have her baby, so she is a renegade. However, the Cylons don't see her as a dangerous renegade, they just want her back alive. Sharon's choices are three:
    1. Tell Adam and Co. that the Cylons want her alive and that's they only reason they're coming after the fleet. This would almost certainly result in her ejection, post haste, out the air lock while the fleet scarper.
    2. Refuse to help the humans which would again most likely result in her death or capture by the Cylons.
    3. Fight back.

Her only choice was to fight back and help the human fleet to survive ,and in doing so keep her, and her chances of being with Helo, alive too.

Obviously the Human form Cylons have some sort of control over the drones, else there would be nothing to stop the drones revolting in the way they revolted against the humans in the first place. Sharon just tapped into this control.

When you think about it, it really was a very good episode as it shows more insight into what the Cylons want and what Sharon wants too. She said on Kobol that she makes her own choices and that she has no hidden programs waiting to spring like Galactica Sharon had. Perhaps it's true. She has her own agenda, and I think that Six does too. Maybe it's paving the way for a possible Cylon civil war, which would give the humans a chance at least. And let's face it, if the Cylons wanted to the could wipe out the fleet at any time the choose. Only an internal power struggle among the Cylons will help the humans by the end of this series I'd say.

As for naming the new ship, ah, tear jerky moment there anyway. I'd say we'll see more of these being built soon and not let it be a one-off Delta-Flyer style creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Good ep. Although the last two seem to have slowed down on revealing the overall story arc and conentrated on characters (when are they going to use the map they nearly died for?). Good for season filler eps though.

I'm growing a bit of an unhealthy fascination with Sharon the cylon. Dam she's beautiful. Especially when she does this... :)

cregser-bsgsharon.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

cregser wrote:
    Good ep. Although the last two seem to have slowed down on revealing the overall story arc and conentrated on characters (when are they going to use the map they nearly died for?). Good for season filler eps though.

I'm growing a bit of an unhealthy fascination with Sharon the cylon. Dam she's beautiful. Especially when she does this... :)

cregser-bsgsharon.jpg
    uh-huh....... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

anyone else think of the 78 episode "The Long Patrol" when Starbuck tells Apollo that they're building the ship for speed rather than maneuverability?

and about that I/O port in Boomers arm, I thought human style cylons were supposed to be indistinguishable from the real peeps, how does this effect that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

ixoy wrote:

Sharon's interface was too much like something that I can't recall...

Your probably thinking of Winona Ryders' character from Alien resurection, at one point she took off a mole on her arm, which turned out to be a 'lid' for an I/O dealy in her arm, jammed in a cable, then promptly took over father, the ships computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

and about that I/O port in Boomers arm, I thought human style cylons were supposed to be indistinguishable from the real peeps, how does this effect that?

well, she could just be jamming it into a bundle of nerves/single nerve rather than a RJ-45 socket. As they came from machines perhaps their nervous system is capable of interfacing with legacy systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I dunno. Think that there possibly are 2 factions in the Cylons, peopley versions and, to coin a tng phrase, drones. the drones just wanna kill maim and destroy, whereas the peopley versions have a plan. Boomer helping out could just be a 'let them gain confidence in me' baldrick like cunning plan. and maybe the peopley versions din't really care too much about the drones, which is why they were quite happy for them to get destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

jor el wrote:
    that the Cylons want her alive

I think you may be overrating Sharon's importance. She may very well be disposable now the baby has been born.

Thought it was a great ep.

Only strange bit was not seeing anything of Sharon's new born baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

secret_squirrel, you might want to go back and spoiler some of your post. Flight of the Pheonix is the last episode to have been shown on Sky and people looking at this thread who are watching on Sky will have further episodes spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

iguana wrote:
    secret_squirrel, you might want to go back and spoiler some of your post. Flight of the Pheonix is the last episode to have been shown on Sky and people looking at this thread who are watching on Sky will have further episodes spoiled.

I havent seen any eps other than on sky. Anything I have said is pure speculation.

Now if I have inadvertantly let any cats out of the bag please dont tell me :)

Advertisement