Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Modem

• 17-09-2005 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

From the stage where BT give you your username and password and say they'll take over the line from eircom and send the modem out by courier, how long should I be waiting for the stuff to arrive??

Is it easy to set up??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

In my experience I took about 2 weeks to change the phone line over and it was about a week leter when I got my modem sent by courier. When you set up your account over the phone, they'll give you a username and password. You won't need this untill you set up your internet connection though.

Then you're in business!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

It's pretty easy to set up. You'll come accross a very simple login page where you enter in your password username and IP details. You can use either an ethernet or USB connection to connect your modem to your PC. Ethernet doesn't require any drivers. Just plug it in and away you go.

Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i've been waiting over two months for my modem, i actually had a dream last night that it finally arrived in the post

why can't i make love to beautiful women in my dreams :?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BT need to drastically expand their workforce in ireland as they simply cannot supply the demand for their service!!!

A 2 month wait...thats just insane!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

what exact router does BT provide with the BB + package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I ordered at the same time as parasite. It took nearly 4 weeks in total including the line rental changeover. Which is what they quoted from the start. Yeah it was a bit of a wait but worth every minute. Speeds are perfect.

I think any of the major waits seem to be because of people who rent. Or mess ups with Eircom.

The modem arrived well in time for the go-live date bt quoted however DSL was enabled a week before that (week two). I know because I had a spare dsl modem to test it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

what exact router does BT provide with the BB + package
    I got a ZyXEL Prestige 600 series modem.
    I tried and the start using the USB but had a few connection issues, so used the Ethernet connection instead.
    I'd advise anyone else about to get their modem to do the same.
    Ring BT on 1800 923 923 and ask them if you've been put on their modem dispatch queue - this will happen once your line is suitable and the changeover has happened.
    It shouldnt take any longer than 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

is there anything stopping someone buying a router or having one beforehand and using your password and username on it, so technically you could be up and running in 5 days rather than waiting for your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Im not sure bout other services. but u dont have to use the ISP supplied router\modem, you can use anyone u want. Only thing is your ISP doesnt support the non ISP one so there for, when there is a problem they will always blame your bought hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I got my modem yesterday after 2 and a half weeks, I couldn't get it to connect though so I checked the settings given with the modem versus a mate's who has BT broadband and it turned out the settings given with the modem were incorrect. The page that came with the modem said to enter your username@BTBB however it should be username@iolbb. Bloody fools!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement