Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old oil boilers - worth anything?

Options
  • 17-09-2005 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

We got a new gas boiler put in a few months ago, and the guy who fitted it said our old boiler will be worth selling, but I'm not sure if he actually meant it or he was just trying to avoid having to take away a big old cast-iron boiler.

So are they actually worth anything? It's an Ahlmann boiler, says it's made in 1971 on it, and the thingy sticking out the front says Selectos on it. It didn't work too well, but the rad's were pretty crap and the pump was probably knackered too, and according to the label on the side it was last serviced in like 1988 - we only moved here 3 years ago so God knows what it's been through before then.

We have a back boiler too, which was next to useless, which is now sitting in our front garden - don't suppose these are worth anything too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whats it made off?

Scrapyard may take it depands onw hat its made of.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As far as I know it's cast iron. It's heavy, whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It would seem that he did not want to take it away.
    It's only worth it's scrap value.
    You are unlucky if an oil boiler bursts within 15 years. You will usually get 20 years out of it. Anything over that, you are on borrowed time. No one with any cop-on will buy a boiler that age. Later boilers are hugely more efficient. Even the Selectos burner will not woork efficiently in a modern boiler.

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I guess 34 years wasn't bad going for it then! ^_^
    Anyway, thanks for the info - I guess it wouldn't be worth bothering putting it in the Buy & Sell then.

Who would take this kind of stuff away? We don't have a car, which doesn't help things...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I guess 34 years wasn't bad going for it then! ^_^
    Anyway, thanks for the info - I guess it wouldn't be worth bothering putting it in the Buy & Sell then.

Who would take this kind of stuff away? We don't have a car, which doesn't help things...
    shouldn't this be one of those items classed to be recycled?

bring it to your local recycling centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

All recycling centres will recycle metals.Throw it in with the old washing machines!

Advertisement