Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your BB provider have a cancellation fee?

• 17-09-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been lurking the boards for a good few months, so I decided it's time to sign up.

I've been a UTV clicksilver user for just under a year now.(I know UTV gets bad press here, but I'm reasonably happy with them).

I was considering whether to upgrade to the 2MB package @€;39.99/month. However this, taken from the 'new services' part of my UTV account, made me think twice.

Please note: A change in your tariff will not be effective until 01 October 2005. If you decide to migrate your New Clicksilver subscription to a new clicksilver service you will be bound a new contract (please read the terms and conditions relating to this new contract by clicking here). If you wish to cancel this new contract you will be charged a cancellation fee of €59.99 during the first six month of the contract or €29.99 after 6 months.

If you are choosing to downgrade your current tariff to a slower speed or to the Lite product then a one off charge of €29.99 will be applied to your account.

As someone who signed up with UTV a year ago, my contract reverts to a one month rolling contract after my inital 12 months are up.

Now, any new user or any existing user who alters their service package, will be liable to this charge ,as well as the expense of posting back the modem etc, if they cancel.

Are UTV unique in tacking this nasty extra to their terms and conditions? Is it legal? Are they trying to put themselves out of business?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

disconnect charges are part of the eircom wholesale package but they should be absorbed over a contract period or listed as a signup cost ......in effect .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

curiosity wrote:
    Hi folks,

I've been lurking the boards for a good few months, so I decided it's time to sign up.

I've been a UTV clicksilver user for just under a year now.(I know UTV gets bad press here, but I'm reasonably happy with them).

Are UTV unique in tacking this nasty extra to their terms and conditions? Is it legal? Are they trying to put themselves out of business?

UTV seem to have lost any sensitivity regarding their customers as you probably know if you are a customer for the past while and followd the discussions in the support group about possible new products. People were encouraged to wait for the appointment of the product development manager and then all that resulted was this type of nonsense. The nasty thing about this type of clause is that most people dont realise it's there until such time as they are leaving.

UTV are also very 'careless' with their langauage. The main bb page quotes a set up fee of €29.99 which "includes modem' now that would suggest to most people that you own the modem but..........
    29.99 Set Up Fee Includes Modem and Post & Packaging

tucked away in the Terms and Conditions is a clause saying you will be debited €150 if you dont return it! Now that to me is not 'customer friendly' to say the least. Careless or convenient who can say?
    On receipt of such notification UTV Internet will request that you return the modem and any and all other equipment which UTV Internet has provided to you for the provision of the service by registered post to our address within 14 calendar days of the date of such notification. Failure to return such equipment in this manner will result in UTV Internet debiting €150 from your Bank Account/Credit/Debit Card and you hereby expressly consent to such debit.

€150 for a second hand dsl modem??? would it cost UTV €30 per modem with their bulk buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hopefully someone will challenge that condition in the court. There are a few cases where certain terms & conditions in the full contract are deemed unenforcable (but the rest of the contract still applies). To me, like Sponge Bob says, this is not a reasonable charge (especially with the lack of notification at the signup.. back to the "but who reads the full Terms & Conditions anyway").

It's outright rediculous that they charge (if they do, but it's implied there anyway) after the minimum contract term, without bringing your attention to it in the signup process. IANAL, but that seems to be pushing reasonable notice.

Anyone being stung by an exit charge and queried it with a solicitor?

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

I did some more reading up of the 'terms & conditions' UTV currently have. €29.99 once-off connection (fair enough, Eircom charge €39.99 and BT €50), however UTV took €99 off me when my 3 month free trial ended.

I couldn't see anything in their T&Cs which equated to UTVs rip-off.

Perhaps an email to the good people at UTV (and one to COMREG too?) might yield results?

Calling Mr. Hobbs, calling Mr Hobbs............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

curiosity wrote:
    I did some more reading up of the 'terms & conditions' UTV currently have. €29.99 once-off connection (fair enough, Eircom charge €39.99 and BT €50), however UTV took €99 off me when my 3 month free trial ended.

I couldn't see anything in their T&Cs which equated to UTVs rip-off.

Perhaps an email to the good people at UTV (and one to COMREG too?) might yield results?

Calling Mr. Hobbs, calling Mr Hobbs............

What explanation did they give for the 99 euro charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

dub45 wrote:
    What explanation did they give for the 99 euro charge?

The good ol' "once-off connection fee" line. At least at the time they were offering 4 months free as opposed to 2 with Eircom. I was probably so shocked that broadband had come to my small town that I didn't quibble!

Advertisement