Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device to Block Certain Telephone Numbers

• 17-09-2005 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Is there a device I can plug in between my phone and line that will allow me to block certain telephone numbers?

Or even better to block certain prefixes, (e.g 08, 00) that can be overridden by a code?

Yes you guessed it, teenage boy spending a fortune of my money on calls!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are several devices on the market that will do that, however, what's to stop him from unplugging it and plugging in somewhere else?

If you google around you'll find something. Anything that is specified for use in North America will be no trouble to install here, although you might need to purchase a new AC adaptor to plug it into the mains.

There was some comapany in the netherlands who also do that sort of thing.

Another option is to use a DECT (Digital cordless) phone with call baring features. Have a look through some of the user guides on line. I would suggest trying www.siemens.ie and looking for gigaset details.

Many DECT phones will allow you to block certain calls.

E.g. you could block 00, 08x and 15xx

Or, if you don't want to do any of the above, you can contact eircom or whoever it is providing your phone service and request call barring. There are a number of levels and I'm not 100% sure how it works.

eircom's implementation of it is so crude it's laughable though. It should be (and I'm sure is) possible with their switches to allow users to bar numbers using * codes and lift the bar using a PIN.

eircom are generally not fans of anything that might restrict the user from running up enormous phone bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Thanks

I have tried googling, but so far haven't found anything relevant, perhaps I am using the wrong search terms, but have tried "restict outgoing calls" etc

If you have any links to such devices please post them.

I already have a dual dect/skype cordless phone, unfortunately it doesn't support any form of blocking, plus I want to keep the ability to receive calls on Skype and so dont want to change to another dect phone. I

Phone line is locked in my study so no issues with him unplugging device :-)

Finally found some devices, by searching for "Toll Restrictor" :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

skearon wrote:
    Is there a device I can plug in between my phone and line that will allow me to block certain telephone numbers?

Or even better to block certain prefixes, (e.g 08, 00) that can be overridden by a code?

Yes you guessed it, teenage boy spending a fortune of my money on calls!
    just call Eircon and get Mobile Numbers barred ..

sharkman wrote:
    just call Eircon and get Mobile Numbers barred ..

Thanks, but not what I want, in that I only want certain prefixes blocked at certain times, I want to me able to enter code to bypass this for myself and my wife

• Advertisement
Advertisement