Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good shop for kids bikes in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-09-2005 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some new bikes for my kids. Ages 6 and 8. I want to make sure they get suitable bikes, i.e. basically that they are the right size. I also would prefer that they dont have unneccessary "features".

Most bike shops that I go into, they just point you to one of their bikes and thats about as far as it goes. Am I making this too complicated or is there actually such a thing as the correct size of bike for a certain size of person?

If so can anyone recommend, please, a bike shop in the Dublin region with knowledgeable staff who would be interesting in finding the right bike for my kids. Thanks.

The best one I've found over the years (for my own bike) is the one in Parnell St but they didn't have a very large range of kids bike the last time I was in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I found it difficult enough to find a decent kids bike. I was looking for something that my daughter could use for cycling around the park and for doing some light offroad stuff like fireroads and trails. 99% of the bikes out there for kids are crap - far too heavy, badly designed, loaded with unnecessary features and too cheap to be worthwhile. I also wanted something I could pass onto my son, who is a few years younger.

In the end, I looked at the Giant, Specialized and Scott brands and went for the Specialized Hotrock. I bought it from McConveys in Belfast. Its a good bike with a reasonable spec. for the money. One of the reasonings for sticking with the upmarket brands is that its a reasonable bet it won't be junk. We've had it 2 years and its been fine so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Don't know the name of the shop ,but there is one in Omni SC in Santry..Found them very good in the past they give the kids a spin on different bikes & tell you if they think its the right size etc....They also do a christmas club ect...& let you decide the extras you want.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i was in eurocycles on the long mile road when I was looking for a bike. Although I didn't buy there, there was a huge selection of kids bikes, almost more than than the adults

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a place in Lucan village, called Staggs. The person who owns the shop knows his stuff, as he's been around for a while, my dad got his bike there, I got mine and the place is also good for repairs.

I got my first main bike there, which lasted about a few years, but had to get a new one then due to a car crash (one of the rear bars got bent out of place: repairable, but it wouldn't have been as strong). The current one has lasted about 10 years (4 of which I used it to cycle to secondry school). I've had to get new tyre's, wheels (the ball bearings got worn after about 5 years, brake cables, and stuff in the mean time, but its only now that I'll have to get a new one (its starting to creak a bit: the handlebars are going, I think).

When I went in there about 2 months ago, to get brake cabling, there was still aload of bikes, with all sorts of different types. Staff are still friendly enough.

/edit

Found out he made a website: http://www.stagg-cycles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for the info everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement