Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6600 email on Meteor

• 17-09-2005 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

I've recently got a Nokia 6600 which used to be on Vodafone but I'm using it with a Meteor sim card.

Does anybody know the Email settings to use the program on this phone with Meteor mail? e.g. incoming/outgoing mail servers etc.

Have tried the Meteor website but they only give mms and gprs settings, and emailing them has as usual got no reply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Look at the sticky up at the top of this section.
    All settings for all the networks are there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

what I'm looking for isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

oh sorry
    misread your message
    its the actual mailbox settings you need for checking a meteor email account
    have searched all over the net for them and absolutely nothing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you can POP meteor mail down to your device if you want... but they don't really have an open SMTP server to allow you to send email (appears to work to other @mymeteor.ie addresses but not outside)...

(using the Internet/ISP access point)
    pop: mail.mymeteor.ie
    smtp (not open): mail.mymeteor.ie
    user: your-address@mymeteor.ie
    pass: your-meteor-email-password

if you have your own email account that offers pop/imap and smtp you could use that instead?

yeah, the thing is I have succesfully set up my mymeteor email through outlook express on my pc, but that's using the eircom.net outgoing smtp because my internet account is with eircom.net

with the same settings on my phone and using meteor isp settings it won't connect, either to send mail or to receive mail

• Advertisement

just tried it on a phone i'd previously set up and had working many months ago... and it won't connect now

they had done something to my account where my provision to the ISP access point was messed up... but fixed a few weeks ago when I noticed (only really use their data facilities for testing rather than every day use)... hadn't checked meteor mail from a handset since then though so who knows what they've done since it was working (partially: pop ok, smtp not)

last time i tried to chase up email details (their smtp support/capabilities) from Meteor they asserted their service was a Web Browser only email service... you might have better luck contacting them directly yourself... let us know how you get on

will do,

they do sell the nokia 6600 themselves on prepay, I'd be interested if anybody bought it and was this already set up on it

well I got a reply from Meteor...
    Thank you for your email and your query. I can confirm that meteor do not yet support this function. The only way at present to send and receive emails on your phone is via SMS over WAP. Please follow the instructions below which should activate this service for you.
    To set up e-mail via SMS on your phone, you need to:

Send an SMS with the word "open" to 0857112244. You will receive a confirmation SMS to tell you that the service has been set up.

To send an e-mail via your handset, compose an SMS in the following format:

mail [recipient] [subject] [message] - and send to 0857112244, e.g. mail joebloggs@mymeteor.ie Hello Did you see the football match last night?

To receive e-mail to your phone, your e-mail address is [your phone number]@sms.mymeteor.ie, e.g. 0851234567@sms.mymeteor.ie

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

so they don't support it after all

balls

pity - got a P800 to POP the mail down long time ago, doesn't work any more though... and they never offered an proper SMTP server

Advertisement