Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Zen 40GB -- where can I get it cheapest?

Options
  • 17-09-2005 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for posting another thread about this sort of thing, I know there's loads. I read about 15 of them, but I thought I'd post a new thread so that I can ask this (was on page 11 of about 20, and was getting tired:()

Well, I have a crappy Ministry of Sound 128mb mp3 player, which can fit about 20/25 songs on it -- not sufficient! So I want to get a new player, and I'm hearing good things about the Creative Zen. My cousin has a 20GB one (which I'm listening to now btw), and it seems decent enough, albeit quite big and heavy -- but I'm willing to put up with that because it's relatively cheap, seems to be reliable, and I'll probably use it on the bus most of the time anyway (gotta get a couple of buses from Tallaght to UCD every morning, lol:o -- that's actually my main reason for needing a new player)

Now, I've been looking around on the internet today trying to find the cheapest place to get one, cos as I mentioned, I'm a student, so money is not easy to come by :p I've about €400 in the bank, but I will need alot of that until I get a job. My parents or siblings will probably chip in a bit for the player, as an early Christmas present, but I don't want them paying for it all.

Anywho, I'm reluctant to buy anything off the internet because (a) I have to use my parents' credit card, (b) I don't want to have to wait for ages to get it, and (c) I'm afraid of getting scammed or something. So ideally I would like a shop in Dublin that sells them for cheap. I'm not picky on whether they're stolen or not :p I live in Tallaght, but I'll get a bus out if it's far away (I've been practically living on the bus for the past 2 weeks anyway!)

Failing that, these are the prices I've picked up today on the internet...

BTW, except for the last one (Ebay), I don't know how much is added on for posting or what have you...!

Which of these do you think is the best deal and most reliable? Or do you know any other sites that offer better deals?

Ok, to summarise, since some people (understandably) won't be bothered to read all of that, I need:
    1. A shop that sells the Creative Zen 40GB for cheap
      OR
    2. A reliable internet site that offers them for cheap

Thanks for any input and sorry for the long-windedness! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Well if you decide to go online, I think Komplett is a good choice. As far as I know, delivery is free, and the price is fairly good for a new one. A mate ordered an MP3 player from them and it was delivered in three days and his sister ordered one around the same time and got it in six days, so the wait isn't too bad.
    I don't really know about any shops in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Well peats on parnell st sells them. Not as cheap as online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I got mine on ebay and saved well over €100 on the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. Only, problem was that I got nailed by customs which set me back quite a bit. I know of other people who got mp3 players through customs so I guess it's a 50/50 thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dare I ask - why limit yourself to the creative zen?

I would say without hesitation that the iRiver HP-series, the Rio Karma and the Cowon X5 -series are all far superior players, as is the iPod.

Anyhow, cheap online prices can be seen at http://www.pricerunner.co.uk

Otherwise, Peats is where its at I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I would say without hesitation that the iRiver HP-series, the Rio Karma and the Cowon X5 -series are all far superior players, as is the iPod.

Limit yourself?
    Creative Zen Touch is a great player. I had a Creative Zen for ages, got bashed and thrown about, dropped in a pint and it still worked! My little brother got the new Zen touch and I have to say they are brilliant. Will be buying one myself this week.

And dont even dare put an ipod in the same range as a Zen touch....Ipods are bloody useless and its a well known fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

iPod superior to Zen Touch?? Don't make me laugh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Ordered and i'm awaiting delivery of a forty gig creative zen from pixmania last friday including vat and delivery i paid €258. Delivery came to €10.74 but i heard of a shop here in cork charging €252 for a six gig model, so i am well happy with the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Limit yourself?
    Creative Zen Touch is a great player. I had a Creative Zen for ages, got bashed and thrown about, dropped in a pint and it still worked! My little brother got the new Zen touch and I have to say they are brilliant. Will be buying one myself this week.

And dont even dare put an ipod in the same range as a Zen touch....Ipods are bloody useless and its a well known fact

What Creative Zen did you have..

and what happened it? I mean you said you "had" a creative zen.

I have some Creative products and they're all very good quality. but for my hard drive based mp3 player I went for the iRiver h340, i love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dimitri wrote:
    Ordered and i'm awaiting delivery of a forty gig creative zen from pixmania last friday including vat and delivery i paid €258. Delivery came to €10.74 but i heard of a shop here in cork charging €252 for a six gig model, so i am well happy with the price.

Wow that's good! Let me know if you can when it delivers, how long it took, etc.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got mine on ebay and saved well over €100 on the cheapest price I could find anywhere else. Only, problem was that I got nailed by customs which set me back quite a bit. I know of other people who got mp3 players through customs so I guess it's a 50/50 thing.

Always email the guy and ask them to mark it as a gift of low value. I have ordered lots of stuff from wind130 on ebay. She guarantees a refund of any customs charges, and feedback from customers says she does it (you send a scan of the customs slip). Others do this too. She doesnt sell much good stuff lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Pity you missed the Harvey Norman Midnight Madness sale. Seriously. I work there - I run the MP3 area in the Dundalk store. During that sale, we let our last 6 40GB Creative Zen Touch players go for a paltry €199 :D ...(each)

And no, we don't make a habit of that.

:(

If you're planning on doing it again, post here please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh I would... but I'm not planning on getting the Zen Touch into stock again. I've one left of the 20GB model, and I've reduced it to €249. Once it's gone, they're gone, as they've (finally!!!) gone "end-of-life".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Try www.ebay.ie (where else?)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

DaveMcG wrote:
    Wow that's good! Let me know if you can when it delivers, how long it took, etc.

Thanks
    wow sorry completely forgot about this thread accidently clicked the link in one of your post so apoligies if i'm reserecting an old thread. But ya took four working days to deliver, came by dhl. Working perfectly still but i think getting 40g was a bit too big with all my music on it its no where near full!

Dimitri wrote:
    wow sorry completely forgot about this thread accidently clicked the link in one of your post so apoligies if i'm reserecting an old thread. But ya took four working days to deliver, came by dhl. Working perfectly still but i think getting 40g was a bit too big with all my music on it its no where near full!
    Righto, thanks :)

Pixmania seem to not have it listed anymore, though :(

Look what it says on the komplett site...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306253&cks=SER

"Availability: None available today.
    20 pcs expected on stock 2005-12-13"

Is that 13th December, yeh?

Places seem to be not stocking these anymore, so I'd better order one as soon as they're available! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

I am getting the Zen Sleek, it seems much better than the touch or xtra, im getting it off amazon.com which seems to be the cheapest even if it does get VAT slapped onto it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

/me watches thread with interest.
    need to get the best/cheapest 40gig player around and tbh never have looked at the difference between any of them before :)
    200-300e is what I am going for.
    Can they all act as hard drives without software being needed?

Advertisement