Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DID Sharp LCD Sale - "HD Ready" - yeah right!!

Options
  • 17-09-2005 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Was looking at the DID Electrical ad in the Times yesterday. They were selling this 32" LCD TV for about 1200 euro - http://www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1002

It said in big bold print - "HD Ready".

Went to the Sharp website and took a look at the specs on the above page.

Granted, it has a HDMI interface but according to the specs, the screen resolution is 960 x 540 x RGB.

To my knowledge HD = 720P (1280 x 720) or 1080i (1920x1080).

Calling that HD Ready is bordering on false advertising. Isn't there an organisation that can look into this kind of thing and make sure people aren't misled? The name escapes me.

People could buy these screens thinking when HD becomes available (Sky next year, Irish terrestial.....baaaahahaha, 2050 maybe!) that this fairly cheapo LCD TV will be compatible. It's anything but :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Different kinds of HD readiness. Alid and Lidl have the same blurb.
    Not illegal but not exactly right.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There is an official "HD Ready" logo which has to be licensed. Part of the minimum requirement for this license is the display having 720 or more visible lines.

Some others say they are using the term "HD ready" to mean that it can accept and display HD signals (720p and 1080i), by downscaling the picture to the actual resolution of the panel. They should be using the term "HD compatible" for this now (as Sharp are on their web site).

Did the DID ad use the HDReady logo? or just the words in normal typeface? Use of the logo breaks the licensing agreement, but they should describe these sets as HD compatible anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

It was just "HD Ready" in normal typeface.

Still a little misleading in my book, the average punter won't know the distinction between proper HD Ready, HD ready but downscaling the picture and HD compatible.

A lot of room for confusion, buyer beware.

Advertisement