Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Laptop networking problem

• 17-09-2005 8:55pm

My Acer TravelMate 244LM laptop has started showing up an error from NetBT in the event log. The error is code 4307:

"Initialisation failed because the transport refused to provide initial Addresses."

I've even tried doing a clean install of Windows XP to see if it solves the problem but it doesn't. The error appears any time the network card is initialised or when a cable is plugged in/out. The card is a Realtek RTL8139 - I've tried several different drivers.

I also tried Windows 2000 Professional but that gives a different error:

"The transport failed to initialise because another computer on the network has the same name. The service cannot start."

The thing is, the error appears even if there's no cable plugged in! And no other machines have this name.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error? I don't understand why it persists even after a format and re-install. It only started showing up recently, I've had the laptop for nearly 2 years now and it never did anything like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Are there any other network interfaces on the laptop? Other net card, wireless, even firewire?

snappieT wrote:
    Are there any other network interfaces on the laptop? Other net card, wireless, even firewire?
    There's two interfaces, one is a Realtek RTL8139 wired NIC, the other is a D-Link DWL-G650+ wireless Cardbus card. No firewire in this one.

I get the NetBT error even if I don't have the wireless card inserted, but if I disable the wired NIC in Device Manager and use the wireless card I have no problem at all. Seems to be something with the wired NIC.

Advertisement